Koh Samed Hotels

PompeyMatt

I am looking for a half decent but reasonably cheap hotel/bungalow/whatever on Koh Samed for a short 4 night break either just before or just after Xmas. The various travel websites I have visited start at around 1,800Baht per night. Is there anyone that can recommend somewhere a little cheaper ? I guess I will be lucky to find the same 700baht per night deals that Pattaya can offer ?

Also when we arrive from the mainland, we can get almost anywhere from that pier right ?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Matt

I am looking for a half decent but reasonably cheap hotel/bungalow/whatever on Koh Samed for a short 4 night break either just before or just after Xmas. The various travel websites I have visited start at around 1,800Baht per night. Is there anyone that can recommend somewhere a little cheaper ? I guess I will be lucky to find the same 700baht per night deals that Pattaya can offer ?

Also when we arrive from the mainland, we can get almost anywhere from that pier right ?

There were several threads suggesting bungalows and hotels (that are smallish).

1200-1800B was the rate but the place can be a bit of wild west, depending on demand. "Hotels" are mostly on the beach, just ensure there is no a party venue nearby as door size loudspeakers may keep you awake until dawn.

"That" pier is for slow battered rickety boats and from there you can get anywhere. "Anywhere" being about 4-5km long dirt road along the beaches, just depends where you want to hop off. You may have to wait until the "taxi" fills up or pay 300B and have it all for yourself.

Many day trippers hire (share) a speed boat that can take you and pick you up at any location you want. Depending on how many people share, the price goes 1200-2000B return. IMO, it's worthwhile.

It's been suggested that I should just turn up somewhere and see what these places say. Due to the lack of visitors prices may be favourable. However this could also work against us and these establishments could see the farang rocking up with his TGF as an easy target to boost earnings.

I really need to learn the phrase "I am not a tourist"

Thanks for your advice.

Samed Club Resort Hotel appears to be quite popular with various operators. Prices start from 59GBP per night. Pretty expensive if you ask me. Got a reasonable bungalow on Samui earlier this year for 1,200Baht per night. Looking for something similar. The missus will be gutted if I tell her it's down to Pattaya again !!!!!

Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers, Matt

Try Jep's Bungalows on Sai Kaew Beach, moderate bungalows starting at beach level and continuing up along the hill, I paid less than 1000b for a mid-hillside unit, nothing special but did have Air Con/TV, etc,

This is a very popular itin so it can get crowded, especially at night, yes, you'll be lulled to sleep by throbbing techno-tribal-trance so might as well chill on the beach and enjoy the fun, the usual fire acts, candle kites, music, etc,

Nice restaurant with surprisingly good offering of wines,

Good luck and have fun, :o