Why Have You Or Any Close Friends You Know Cancelled Your Forthcoming Holiday In Thailand?

Tigs

Why have you or your friends cancelled a forthcoming holiday/trip to Thailand?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just to try and stop the bickering that is going on, on some of the TV News Clips threads, if you or someone you know well has recently cancelled a holiday or business trip to Thailand, lets say between Dec and March next year, could you please provide us with the reason.

is it:

A) "The global financial crisis means I had to cancel"

or

:o "The closing of the International and domestic airports, coupled with political uncertainty in the country mean I must cancel, for the sake of security, family, safety, uncertainty, business etc".

On some threads this issue involving tourism rates has turned into a bashing session between PAD supporters and PAD haters.

Thanks for your help!

Just to try and stop the bickering that is going on, on some of the TV News Clips threads, if you or someone you know well has recently cancelled a holiday or business trip to Thailand, lets say between Dec and March next year, could you please provide us with the reason.

is it:

or

:o "The closing of the International and domestic airports, coupled with political uncertainty in the country mean I must cancel, for the sake of security, family, safety, uncertainty, business etc".

On some threads this issue involving tourism rates has turned into a bashing session between PAD supporters and PAD haters.

Thanks for your help!

For the first time since 1999 I will not be spending Christmas in Thailand. I did not cancel as much as fail to make my usual late booking. This was mainly because of uncertainty over the airports. Myself and the family were in Thailand in July-September and returned to the UK at a time when PAD had closed 3 domestic airports and had called for a strike to close the international airport. With my son now at school I did not want to take a chance on being stranded at the present time. I know one other mixed British/Thai family who have given it a miss this Christmas. We have already booked for Easter but our friends are still holding off. I was technically employed in Thailand for the year until the end of September and spent three longish stints in the Kingdom during that year, but feel it is just as well to stay in the UK until things settle down.

Edited by citizen33

In my little work community of Europeans who travel overseas at least twice a year.

I know of 7 tourists that changed destinations and 1 who cancelled his holiday to Thailand. All were due to fly during the airport closure. The one who cancelled was in departures waiting to board when the flight got cancelled.

In addition, others who expressed interest in visiting Thailand for the first time are now saying they won’t take the risk and have opted for other destinations.

The seasoned Thai travellers are still booking trips to Thailand.

You can basically ignore the No's I'd guess. I'm sure there are many, like me, who don't know anybody cancelling, but don't know anyone coming either. I null voted, but I'd imagine many would just vote NO. Doesn't mean No, they're coming.

But as the question implies, If you did not cancel or did not know anybody that cancelled, or indeed were never going to travel, then there is no point voting. I am trying to find out from people that did cancel, if any of the reasons in the questions apply to their cancellation. If people that were going to travel but did not for any of the reasons given, then under the current climate and with the tourist crisis as it is, then I would find the numbers very useful. However I cannot legislate for people voting when travel was never even on the agenda.

Why have you or your friends cancelled a forthcoming holiday/trip to Thailand?

There could be a million reasons, I want to know if it is one of the three above.

Edited by Tigs

We had five business contacts cancel their trips this month because of the PAD nonsense, I've also had two friends do the same. Nothing to do with the economy, just they don't like the current unstable situation.

I'm sure there are numerous more.

Hopefully it will get better, but somehow I doubt it will in the near future.

is it:

or

Thanks for your help!

10 of my married friends have cancelled their trip to Thailand this year and next year as well, due to the Australian Government warning them Not to travel unless it was absolutely necessary. 4 others have cancelled due to the on going Political situation.

is it:

or

Thanks for your help!

10 of my married friends have cancelled their trip to Thailand this year and next year as well, due to the Australian Government warning them Not to travel unless it was absolutely necessary. 4 others have cancelled due to the on going Political situation.

You would think that your 10 friends might ask you what the situation is really like on the ground instead of the 'cya' travel advisories issued by governments around the world on a daily basis.

I had family members who were planning on coming to Thailand this winter and abruptly cancelled with the airport fiasco. They had seen some of the political turmoil, but I had assured them that it was limited to specific areas and they didn't have to worry about it--actually, they weren't too worried. The airport cloure however, is a pretty serious thing and that one pretty much says something is seriously wrong to a lot of folks.

Airports are significant.

Sure wish the PAD would have marched on Preah Viharn temple and taken that over instead.