Medical Insurance

HNLDennis

Hi,

I will be retiring and moving to Bangkok in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has Blue Cross & Blue Shield health insurance from the US. I am planning on using Bangkok Hospital as they are listed as accepting this insurance. Can anyone tell me how the billing is done? Do they bill the insurance direct and bill you for any balance or do you have to pay and then file a claim with the insurance? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hi,

I will be retiring and moving to Bangkok in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has Blue Cross & Blue Shield health insurance from the US. I am planning on using Bangkok Hospital as they are listed as accepting this insurance. Can anyone tell me how the billing is done? Do they bill the insurance direct and bill you for any balance or do you have to pay and then file a claim with the insurance? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

How about sending them an email and asking? Be sure to mention BC/BS USA as your carrier?

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/eng/About_B...cal_Center.aspx

International Medical Center

Tel. (+662) 310-3101-2 Fax. (+662) 310-3367

Email:

Alternatively, check with these folks, they're mentioned as being an "overseas representative."

USA

International Medical Resources, LLC

885 Scott Blvd, Suite 4, Santa Clara, CA 95050

Fax : 1-408-842-1656

E-mail :

Mac

Hi,

I'm retired with Blue Cross. I have had to pay the hospital bill in full and submit the claim to Blue Cross even though the hospital is listed as a participating hospital. I think their reasoning is that the payment turn around is very long and many patients may not be here to pay unpaid portions of the bill. Blue Cross does consider the lower deductible for participating hospitals.

It is best to ask the hospital but be sure you ask the right person and they understand.

Hi,

I'm retired with Blue Cross. I have had to pay the hospital bill in full and submit the claim to Blue Cross even though the hospital is listed as a participating hospital. I think their reasoning is that the payment turn around is very long and many patients may not be here to pay unpaid portions of the bill. Blue Cross does consider the lower deductible for participating hospitals.

It is best to ask the hospital but be sure you ask the right person and they understand.

That is one of the problems with using 'foreign' insurance's – the paying first then reclaiming.

However, it's not just the having to find what may be a very large amount of cash before the hospital does anything but the problems that can happen in an emergency.

Do please think about a low cost policy here so at least you will be admitted and looked after immediately.

Do please think about a low cost policy here so at least you will be admitted and looked after immediately.

ahh wnat a good idea! I will Search for a Post you have recommended some Thai Carriers, have you?

hmmm... We are coming over for 2 years because that is how long our Canadian medical will cover us 'out of the country'; so we will only need coverage for costs above what the costs would be here in Canada.

Some have advised that medical is so good and so inexpensive in Thailand that extra coverage is not needed, is that true?

I could wear a wrist band, in Thai, take me to a governement hospital nOT bumrungrand!?

Question, what would extra coverage for someone who has their basic?

Question, with a government plan, do you still have to pay then bill back to Canada?

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the info you provided. I guess it answered my question and I will have to pay medical bills in full and file to get reimbursed. Did anyone do that with this insurance? If so how long does if take for them to reimburse you? Approximately how much did they cover? I don"t really have the option of taking insurance offered by Thai Visa because my former employer is paying part of the insurance and I can only pick from the providers they offer. Thanks again for all the help. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. I'll be there soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the info you provided. I guess it answered my question and I will have to pay medical bills in full and file to get reimbursed. Did anyone do that with this insurance? If so how long does if take for them to reimburse you? Approximately how much did they cover? I don"t really have the option of taking insurance offered by Thai Visa because my former employer is paying part of the insurance and I can only pick from the providers they offer. Thanks again for all the help. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. I'll be there soon.

Hi Everyone,

Well I finelly made it. I'm here in Bangkok made it in last night. My wife checked with Bangkok Hospital before I got here and they told her that for out paitaint service we have to pay tthen file for reinbursment. If hospitalized they bill blue cross direct. Again Thanks to everyone who provided Info. and help. Maybe I might run into you at the next Thai Visa party. I think I just missed the last one, I didn't get a chance to see how it went yet.