Garden Railroad

Shrednyneas

Dear All,

Now something else; is the any expat in Thailand who is interested in model railroading in big scale? I only read about visa, pubs, work permits, bad Thais and all that kind of stuff. I a have different problem. I’m living in Chiang Rai and would love to start a scratch build garden railroad in sm32 (scale 1:19), not for live steam but for battery operation. The problem is the raw material. Where to get brass, plastruct, plastic card and all that kind of things. Is there any decent hobby shop in Bangkok? Ordering abroad is possible but rather complicated. Are there other fellows under the expats with the same interest? Glad with any advice.

Shrednyneas

:o

There is a really good Hobby Shop, I think is still there over the road from Pantip.

There is also a very good one here (I am here today) in Suphanburi.

Would it be worth your while to import samples and have the stuff locally made.

The local manufacturing industry is becoming very good and still at a competative price. After the headaches of setting it up, it may well be cheaper, just sometimes you have to set your own quality goals.

I was thinking of a sililar idea from Australia but over the internet, have a massive railway, and have point of view cameras with a little Java Applet to drive the thing. Then people could log on from around the world and drive the model trains - for an hourly rate.

Some Technical issues like a divorce stuffed that idea though :o

I'm in N scale (Kato,Atlas,etc.) but have G scale (LGB,Aristocraft) for a future indoor/outdoor garden railroad.Your pick would be between G and live steam.

Stay with G scale or move up to live steam to ride on.Much of live steam locos,

cars,etc. are available in kits.If you're handy you can scratchbuild the track and ties and structures.