Driving New Pickup With No Plates.

Harmonica

You can get "red" plates. You need to make a 2000 baht deposit, you get that back when you get the proper plates.

The deaer is probaly being lazy.

If you get "Red" plates, make sure it has a Province imprint on the bottom right hand corner, then they are real.

The deposit varies, since the plates belong to the dealer. I paid 1000 baht deposit.

The red plates also have a reg book which must be kept n the vehicle. Under the law, as I've been told, you are restricted to your province and can only drive during the day....

Saying all that, I drove to Bangkok, and even got pulled over by the cops- for making an illegal turn. The cop never said a word about the red plates registered in Chiang Mai. TiT.

As for driving with no plates on a new vehicle, my dealer also offered that option, and I see many new vehicles w/out plates... I'd assume the same rules apply as for the red plate... Never heard of anyone being hassled

Edited by Ajarn

Just bought a new Isuzu. Thai highway code states you can only drive a car on red trade plates between 6am and 6pm, but quite often I see red plates at night (it also states you should always give way to the right!!). Don't know anything about not driving outside of your province. My pick-up doesn't have plates as I'm waiting for the new year to register it - good when I sell. The dealer has supplied me with a document/receipt thing in case I'm stopped by the police.

Must say ISUZU 3.0L commonrail is a beautiful drive.

I always pay 2k deposit for the red plates and get the little book to keep in the car.

6am to 6pm is correct and the fine if caught outside these hours is 200 baht unless you can give a good excuse.

By the way the reason for the restricted hours is that the red plates cannot be read at night.

I have had 3 new cars in Thailand and every one I had been driving around with red plates for an average of 2 months on each car. I have often driven at night and out of my province (BKK) and NEVER been stopped. I use expressways and motorways all the time. Many many times on expressway toll booths driven straight past policeman checking tax etc and repeat never been stopped. Having said that, as expensive cars (+3,000,000 baht) - I never get stopped even in speed traps :o

I really would not worry about it - if the police are going to pull you over, they will find a reason or make one up.

So far no one with any really negative experiences regards trade plates BUT of course past behaviour of the boys in brown is no indication of future behaviour. Worse case scenario seems to be a 200 baht fine (negotiable if no receipt).

Sorry, but the worst case scenario is getting your truck impounded for no plates, just like they do for many motorcycles...

TiT

My wife wanted a specific number on her new plates, so we ended up driving on red plates for almost 5 months while waiting for it.

Never had any issues whatsoever. - expressways, motorways, driving to neighbouring provinces, driving at night, etc.

Lots of cars with red plates in Bangkok, so maybe it's only an issue upcountry?

Yeah Ajarn, getting it impounded would put a damper on things. Just drove the truck home and here's what's on the plates

M -- 9889

Phuket

Both "M" and "Phuket", in thai script, of course. Background plate color is red.

Any updates from any of you, please?

Amiable sales guy but his standard answer to any question is OKAY! Ditto for the dealer.

Loaded, I too was given the document w/proof of sale etc. -- the Isuzu is great, but the new Toyota Vigo is sweet too. Delivery promised between 20-23 was honored. Satisfied!!!!

Thanks for the help.