Need A Room To Stay In A Safe Area

VitraFromNewYork

Hello,

I'm coming to BKK for 5 months in January and have to find a room to rent. I would like it be halfway between the United Nations building and Phra Atit Road...(I've been told that the middle of those 2 points is about 15 minutes walking distance)...

I'm not picky--just want to be in a safe place...

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been doing some research on renting rooms...but only hotels keeping popping up--i guess it's hard to find a place to rent from overseas...but any advice you have would be great!

thanks for the help,

vitra

Hello,

I'm coming to BKK for 5 months in January and have to find a room to rent.  I would like it be halfway between the United Nations  building and Phra Atit Road...(I've been told that the middle of those 2 points is about 15 minutes walking distance)...

I've been doing some research on renting rooms...but only hotels keeping popping up--i guess it's hard to find a place to rent from overseas...but any advice you have would be great!

thanks for the help,

vitra

What's your budget like? and what is this thing with the safe place? Are you an undercover agent? or are you under the witness protection program?

Explorer  :o

Whoops---i just relisted my reply--it's been a loong day...

No, unfortunately i am not an undercover agent (although that would be really cool)...nor am i in the witness protection program...but it's my first time going away to live in a foreign land and my parents are more concerned than anything else that i am safe...hence the safety concern...

I am willing to pay up to 10,000 baht...nothing more.

thanks!

Hello,

I'm coming to BKK for 5 months in January and have to find a room to rent.  I would like it be halfway between the United Nations  building and Phra Atit Road...(I've been told that the middle of those 2 points is about 15 minutes walking distance)...

thanks for the help,

vitra

Hi Vitra

Despite what you may have read in the newspapers and seen on the TV most of Thailand is a safe place for Farangs which is what you and all the rest of us foreigners are.

Obviously in the major cities there are places that are not as safe as others, the same as in any big city anywhere in the world.

your main problem will not be how safe you are but how not to get over charged too much or spend too much in the wrong places.

I have been coming to Thailand and living here for over 11 years and I have been ripped off in my early days as most people are but I can honestly say that I have never felt unsafe anywhere with the possible exception of driving in Bangkok as the standard of driving is not what it could be.

I cannot help you with somewhere to stay as I used to live at the other end of Bangkok and I now live up country.

Come to Thailand and join in with the Thais, most of them are lovely people and from my experience, very helpful.

Enjoy yourself.

billd766

He/She sounds like a paranoid American who thinks Bangkok is like New York.

All areas are safe to live in. People may try to take advantage of you and charge you too much, but little else is likely to happen.

Come and enjoy Thailand.

You will be best off staying in hotel at first, until you find your way around,

then you can look for your own place.

It will be best to see what you are renting, especially if your budget is limited to 10,000 baht a month.

thanks for the help,

vitra

You can find and even book a cheap hotel in a central location for 6,000 baht for the month. Well you could two years ago. Here's one place I stayed at (though I don't think this was the web site I used):

http://www.precisionreservations.com/ph-as...telDisplay.htm# You'll then have a month to think about it and look around for apartments. 6,000 is enough for a "nice" place so long as you look hard enough (preferably with a Thai friend). Like the other posters have said, Bangkok is generally a safe place to be. Everywhere will look rough and dirty at first but you will get used to it.

Try this link

http://interaffairs.tu.ac.th/Housing_List_2003.htm

I use to live in Juldis River mansion and it was good.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your suggestions...I think I will book a hotel for the first week and then look around once i get there and get a bit familiar with the city.

Vitra

best answer so far