6 Month Visa - Married To A Thai Man

Forgive me if there is already a post on this- i've searched and am a little confused/overwhelmed at the info given on here.

I am Canadian, my husband is Thai. We want to spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in Thailand each year (give or take a little). He is already a permanent residant in Canada, so that part is fine, but I am wondering what visa should I be applying for? Last year I had the non-imm-O, and after I got into Thailand they told me I needed to apply for another paper (what is it called?) and with that I would need to apply for a re-entry permit every time i left and came back. The embassy in Canada said nothing of this when I asked them questions. If I only want to stay in Thailand for 6 months at a time, is it not more economical to apply for a 3 months non - O rather than the multi entry...and can that one be extended? For how long? Or should I even apply for 3 tourist visas? What is the most simple way of staying there for 6 months (no visa runs would be awesome). As well, we don't have a lot of $$ in our bank account. I hear if it's a Thai husband rather than wife you don't need proof of income? Is this true?

Can someone please spell this out for me because I have no idea what I am looking for, and the lovely Consulate in Vancouver somehow seems to know less than I do!

Thank you so much!

First start out with a single entry non-o visa from Canada.

Then go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension based upon marriage to a Thai (1900 baht). There is no written income requirement for this type of extension. You would then get a re-entry permit which costs 1000 baht for a single or 2000 baht for a multiple re-entry permit.

See 2.18 of police order for info. Only 1, 2, and 3 apply in your case.

Link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

Edited by ubonjoe

First start out with a single entry non-o visa from Canada.

Then go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension based upon marriage to a Thai (1900 baht). There is no written income requirement for this type of extension. You would then get a re-entry permit which costs 1000 baht for a single or 2000 baht for a multiple re-entry permit.

See 2.18 of police order for info. Only 1, 2, and 3 apply in your case.

Link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

I think that multiple reentry permits are 3,900 baht not 2,000 baht.

While there is no written income requirement, we have always had to show that my husband pays (thai) income tax, it is a required document.

Really and where do i get the document from?? is this the same place where i got my 12k for having a baby?

sorry I have no idea what you are talking about. The Thai husband must pay personal income tax at either the tax office, or if the area he lives in does not have a tax office, the amphur.

ubonjoe, you made that sound so easy. now why can't the embassy speak like you? thank you so much, that is exactly what i needed to know!
Embassies are not very well informed on immigration rules. And at times apparently even visas.

Glad I could help and hope everything goes well.

Joe

While there is no written income requirement, we have always had to show that my husband pays (thai) income tax, it is a required document.

yes, where does this come from? What will happen if he never paid it? He doesn't make an income, really - unless you count the family farm?

I dont' think you can get an extension without showing it, at least my Immigration office has required it for the past 16 years that I've been doing extensions. He doesn't have to show income to pay the tax, just declare it. He will then have to pay every 6 months --its not much, tbh.

You don't need it to get a non-immigrant visa tho, just for the one year extension. But, if you dont' want to have to leave the country to make a visa run, then you will need to get the extension.

yes, where does this come from? What will happen if he never paid it? He doesn't make an income, really - unless you count the family farm?

This has been covered on this forum as a way to prove income for men getting visas and having their wife declare the income.

Apparently the tax office does not require proof of the income. Just go to the office and tell them how you want to declare and they will even fiqure it out for you.

Here is a link to the revenue department website: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

You can declare up to about 250,000 and pay no tax.