Need Sourdough Or Chewy Bread Anybody Can Recommend?

Maccheroncini

I'v tried bread at Rimping and Carrefour they are cool but is there anywhere else that make good chewy bread I'm missing?

Thanks all

My personal favourite is the "7 grain" from Yamazaki, ground floor of Airport Plaza (near the aquarium).

/ Priceless

Not sure about the sourdough but now that Rimping Nawarat is pretty well all done and dusted (in it's major refurb) they do have some quite good varieties of bread, some made on the premises.

I don't see any of "pie sabai's" on the shelves now. She did a reasonable sourdough. Maybe Audrey has opted for an early retirement :o

Have to say it again though, "Rimping's bread section alone is larger than Kasem's entire store", and it's as if some folk are caught in a time warp. Kasem's was OK 15 years ago, but it's well past it's "best by date" now.

Bit far south of town for most folks but a nice drive down the canal road would be well worth your time.

Before you make the effort to drive to Jo's Bakery, bear in mind

1., closed every monday

2., His Sourdough bread is not available every day, mostly he bakes it for Friday selling (I been there last friday and saw he had some loafes left, normally they all go on the same day) price = 140 Baht for a big loaf of "Krustenbrot".

3., The bread has a very firm crust and the dough is mixed with imported spices like cumin, coriander seed and fenchel. Enjoy the best bread in Thailand (for my taste).

Give Jo a call at 089-9506623

Hi,

Butter is Better Bakery is about to begin offering a genuine german sourdough rye. 67% rye flour and 33% wheat. The bakery makes it sown sourdough starter and grinds its own spices includeing caraway, fennel, anis, and coriander, Which are the traditional spices for this bread. Of course, because this is mostly a rye bread it's very dense. So it is chewy in a way. There was a gathering of Germans to whom samples were given and the most common comment was that it was like their mothers used to make. But rye chewy is different from wheat chewy.

I think you may be looking for a wheat bread which is chewy because of the gluten. In the past the bakery made that too out of a high gluten flour. So it was more like a classic French bread. The kind that's hard to find in France anymore. The bakery was thinking of trying again. Also, it's not a sourdough. But it is allowed a long slow rise which develops chewiness.

I should add that this is my wife's bakery so I could be accused of prejudice. What's worse, she learned a lot of this stuff from my mother who has been baking her whole life and is still going strong at 83. Dao, my wife, is fanatical about quality.

Anyway, the bakery is currently selling its goods at all the Rim Pings except the little one in Hang Dong. If you wanted to try that traditional style French bread, which is a boule, you could let us know and we could arrange to bake one for you. You could pick it up at the store or if it's convenient. Which Rim Ping are you closest to? Or you could pick it up at the bakery which is on the Hang Dong Road, not far from Lotus Hang Dong. I could email you a map.

Anyway, the bakery is currently selling its goods at all the Rim Pings except the little one in Hang Dong. If you wanted to try that traditional style French bread, which is a boule, you could let us know and we could arrange to bake one for you. You could pick it up at the store or if it's convenient. Which Rim Ping are you closest to? Or you could pick it up at the bakery which is on the Hang Dong Road, not far from Lotus Hang Dong. I could email you a map.

I was in Rimping Supermarket yesterday (NIM opposite the Airport Plaza) enquiring about "Butter is Best" cookies but couldn't find anyone who knew where they were. Plenty of packets by JJ bakery and others. Are they in the bakery section and will your bread be identifiable or just displayed on the shelf with all the other loaves?

It seems you have your own sales outlets when you say, "you can pick it up at the store". A Shop and a Bakery where you sell your own goods? If you can't post the addresses on this board can you send me an email map too?

Edited by Asmerom

I was in Rimping Supermarket yesterday (NIM opposite the Airport Plaza) enquiring about "Butter is Best" cookies but couldn't find anyone who knew where they were. Plenty of packets by JJ bakery and others. Are they in the bakery section and will your bread be identifiable or just displayed on the shelf with all the other loaves?

It seems you have your own sales outlets when you say, "you can pick it up at the store". A Shop and a Bakery where you sell your own goods? If you can't post the addresses on this board can you send me an email map too?

Hi,

I'm sorry that there wasn't any stuff there. Nim City has been problematic. Lots of times, things don't get bought and go stale and have to be thrown out. Usually the refrigerated stuff is in stock. (Our stand should be back in January and then everything should be there most of the time.) At any rate, the bakery's address is 117/272 M. 12 Chiang Mai Hod Road. T. Padaed, etc. Which is not much help. It's actually pretty easy to get here. Just take the Hang Dong Road (heading towards Hang Dong.) About 1 kilometer past Lotus, you will pass a Shell Station. Take a left at the 2nd Soi after the Shell Station (about 100 meters past the shell station). Follow this road about 9/10 of a kilometer. On the right hand side you will see a pink house. That's Butter is Better. If you pass a football field on your right, you've gone about 50 meters too far. Dao's phone number is 081-031-6993. Best to call in advance to make sure that what you want is in stock. I will try to email you a map. I'm not sure that it can be done within this system.

Finally the mystical "Butter is Better" explained!

I finally got to try some "Butter is Better" products. My opinion is that they are on the expensive side, but worth it for certain items. The pies are all good and the sticky buns are delish. The rice pudding is nice too! :o

Have to say it again though, "Rimping's bread section alone is larger than Kasem's entire store", and it's as if some folk are caught in a time warp. Kasem's was OK 15 years ago, but it's well past it's "best by date" now.

Why not suggest that this is your opinion... :o

Kasem store is about a lot more than size. It is about a family business that has survived and prospered in a small shop for MANY years, always taking care of its customers the way they should. There is no fault in that. :D

cozumelito - Can you confirm if the directions you have described are correctly pinpointed on the map at this link?

Perhaps we can clear up any confusion or frustration due to the lack of clarity in your earlier post.

Thanks

Ally

I see that my stealth radar home security system still needs some work. Because Google has us precisely in its sights. That is us.

You can't beat the bakery at the Oriental hotel.

Would that be S, N, E or W of the Ping River? It's somewhere in Chiang Mai isn't it? Go on, give us a clue. By us, I mean those too lazy to search for it, or those who've mislaid their Guide Books, or are just clueless or whatever. Me, in other words.

U R D Best Thanks!

cozumelito - Can you confirm if the directions you have described are correctly pinpointed on the map at this link?

Perhaps we can clear up any confusion or frustration due to the lack of clarity in your earlier post.

Thanks

Ally

I see that my stealth radar home security system still needs some work. Because Google has us precisely in its sights. That is us.

Why not suggest that this is your opinion... :o

Kasem store is about a lot more than size. It is about a family business that has survived and prospered in a small shop for MANY years, always taking care of its customers the way they should. There is no fault in that. :D

Just to be 100 % sure : is this your opinion ?

Would that be S, N, E or W of the Ping River? It's somewhere in Chiang Mai isn't it? Go on, give us a clue. By us, I mean those too lazy to search for it, or those who've mislaid their Guide Books, or are just clueless or whatever. Me, in other words.

Take the Sankhamphaeng Road (heading for Sankhamphaeng) and you should be able to spot a sign on the right indicating where you turn to the Oriental. Perhaps 500 +/- metres from the main superhighway.

The sign is not all that conspicuous so you need to keep your eyes peeled.

Edited by john b good

Take the Sankhamphaeng Road (heading for Sankhamphaeng) and you should be able to spot a sign on the right indicating where you turn to the Oriental. Perhaps 500 +/- metres from the main superhighway.

The sign is not all that conspicuous so you need to keep your eyes peeled.

Yes. another way to get there is from the Middle Ring Road, the stretch between the tunnels/interesections with the New and the Old Sangkamphaeng Road. When going North emerging from the tunnel under the New Sangkamphaeng road it's a soi on the left about 2/3ds of the way until the next tunnel. The sign there is a little more conspicuous, I believe they actually bought a small plot of roadside land to plant their big cement sign on .

Then when entering the Oriental Hotel grounds, park a bit on the right hand side near all the wooden shop buildings.

Another tip about that hotel (esp. if you have kids), they offer a free horse cart ride to showcase the very impressive grounds.. It's amazing, it looks like a centuries old palace grounds, lots of wooden buildings and interesting plants and other features.

Don't get me wrong, I completely cannot afford to stay there with room and house/suite prices being stratospheric, but it's a nice place to look around at, and the shops are priced on very reasonably levels. The Chinese restaurant there is very good too (dim sum lunch for around 500 baht/pp I believe). The bakery however is something that would be completely unheard of in Chiang Mai mere years ago. The chef there has a website here: http://www.leblusfabrice.com/ also: http://www.muantae.com/index.php?option=co...12&Itemid=0

I sit there at the coffee & bakery shop and think "Chiang Mai has come a long way, since the days of horrific S&P cakes covered in white chemical paste where the whipped cream should be.".

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another tip about that hotel (esp. if you have kids), they offer a free horse cart ride to showcase the very impressive grounds.. It's amazing, it looks like a centuries old palace grounds, lots of wooden buildings and interesting plants and other features.

Don't get me wrong, I completely cannot afford to stay there with room and house/suite prices being stratospheric, but it's a nice place to look around at, and the shops are priced on very reasonably levels. The Chinese restaurant there is very good too (dim sum lunch for around 500 baht/pp I believe). The bakery however is something that would be completely unheard of in Chiang Mai mere years ago. The chef there has a website here: http://www.leblusfabrice.com/ also: http://www.muantae.com/index.php?option=co...12&Itemid=0

I sit there at the coffee & bakery shop and think "Chiang Mai has come a long way, since the days of horrific S&P cakes covered in white chemical paste where the whipped cream should be.".

Well, If that delightful reply was prompted partly by my rather tetchy request for directions I must lose my Guidebook more often. Thanks a lot for expanding your original post with these interesting extra comments. I'm sure it will inspire others, certainly me, to explore the rich possibilities of the Oriental which you outline so lovingly.