Thrifty Things To Do Over X-mas Break

myauq

just wondering what ideas you have for someone with not much cash - are there any relatively cheap things to do in bkk over x-mas time? in and around bkk would be fine.

preferably looking at day trip kind of activities, like going to ayutthaya, travelling on the river, etc. thriftiness is the key here, and able to accomodate perhaps 2-5 people. have to be fun things, of course :o

Definitely go on the river.

The 'tourist trip' from beneath the the Skytrain station at Thaksin Bridge is good value; but I prefer the ordinary passenger boats. Not only are they cheaper, but you get a more authentic feel of Bangkok.

Some day I want to go all the way up to Nonthaburi on one of those 'commuter boats'.

Talking of Nonthaburi, a visit to Bondstreet Road at Muang Thon Thani, Banpood, Pakred, Nothaburi is something unusual that that shines a light on Thailand that tourists don't get. It is about a kilometre of high rise office and condominium buildings, built just over ten years ago and never, or only slightly, tenanted. (Some are not even completely built.) It is different from visiting ruins of places that were inhabited! I can't give you the bus routes to get there, but one of the information booths will.

It isn't cheap (at almost 1000 bahts total) but I reckon the best value for money for a 'Bangkok experience' is to get up early and catch the first Skytrain to Thaksin Bridge, go down to landing stage for the hotel shuttle boats, go over to the Peninsula and while away three hours having breakfast on the terrace. Whenever I have to go down to Bangkok, I try to include that. Eating good-quality smoked salmon whilst doing the crosswords in the Post and the Tribune (which the hotel provides) seems quite decadent, but I succumb.