Thai Officials Blamed For Deaths

nogutsnoapplepie

Negligence by senior Thai officials led to the deaths of more than 80 Muslims in army custody last October, says Thailand's prime minister.

Thaksin Shinawatra was quoting a report by a government-appointed panel set up to investigate the incident in the southern district of Takbai.

He said senior officials failed to do their jobs, and left it to subordinates to handle breaking up a Muslim protest.

Protesters suffocated or were crushed after being loaded into army trucks.

Seventy-eight died when hundreds were "stacked liked bricks" in the trucks after the protest was brought to an end, said one survivor.

Another seven protesters were shot dead during the clashes with police.

The incident has flamed tension in a region that is already blighted by violence.

Strike

On Wednesday, thousands of teachers in the south voted to strike because of security concerns following the fatal shooting of two of their colleagues in one day.

Teaching unions in the provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala said the action was "absolutely necessary" as teachers did not feel safe enough to do their job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4119785.stm

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negligence by senior Thai officials led to the deaths of more than 80 Muslims in army custody last October, says Thailand's prime minister.

Thaksin Shinawatra was quoting a report by a government-appointed panel set up to investigate the incident in the southern district of Takbai.

He said senior officials failed to do their jobs, and left it to subordinates to handle breaking up a Muslim protest.

Protesters suffocated or were crushed after being loaded into army trucks.

Seventy-eight died when hundreds were "stacked liked bricks" in the trucks after the protest was brought to an end, said one survivor.

Another seven protesters were shot dead during the clashes with police.

The incident has flamed tension in a region that is already blighted by violence.

Strike

On Wednesday, thousands of teachers in the south voted to strike because of security concerns following the fatal shooting of two of their colleagues in one day.

Teaching unions in the provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala said the action was "absolutely necessary" as teachers did not feel safe enough to do their job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4119785.stm

Although I think unreported in the English language press here, the security forces involved in the Tak Bai mass murder have been exonerated.

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=414489

Sorry to have to go back so far.This seemed the most appropriate point of reference to report the whitewash.

http

://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/05/30...l_30103943.php

Write a paragraph in a novel, six year sentence

Alter some photos on the internet, ten year sentence.

Throw dozens of people piled on top of each other in the back of trucks and leave them to die, no problem, only doing your job  :)

http

Throw dozens of people piled on top of each other in the back of trucks and leave them to die, no problem, only doing your job  :)

A concise and very accurate picture of where the power lies within Thailand and how this power is reflected in court decisions.

Try this link for an explanation:

http://www.hrsolidarity.net/mainfile.php/1999vol09no06/1018/

Nauseating.

BK Post

Basing its ruling on a post-mortem inquest into the deaths, the court noted that members of the security forces were acting under an emergency law at the time which protected them from civil, criminal or disciplinary liabilities arising from their actions while performing their duty.

Thaksin of course was instigator of this "Emergency law".

from the top down word comes to do what you want,

but responsibility flies to the wind.

End result; it made the situation worse,

and lets wait and see how they take it down souht now...

Nauseating.
BK Post

Basing its ruling on a post-mortem inquest into the deaths, the court noted that members of the security forces were acting under an emergency law at the time which protected them from civil, criminal or disciplinary liabilities arising from their actions while performing their duty.

Thaksin of course was instigator of this "Emergency law".

from the top down word comes to do what you want,

but responsibility flies to the wind.

End result; it made the situation worse,

and lets wait and see how they take it down souht now...

The Thaksin obsessives will always look to pin responsibility on him but the latest disgraceful ruling actually puts him in the clear.The main point is, that if further evidence was required, the security forces can do exactly what they like in this country.It's true that the Emergency Law might have made it difficult to prosecute individual military officers, but there was nothing stopping an internal army inquiry taking the necessary disciplinary measures.A squalid and depressing episode in which nobody emerges with credit, oddly enough save perhaps General Surayud who showed decency and humanity on this issue but sadly never followed through.

http

Throw dozens of people piled on top of each other in the back of trucks and leave them to die, no problem, only doing your job :)

shouldn't that be murder - throwing then in the back of trucks and leave them to die, no problem, only doing my job-- and then we see in another post where a women was jailed for 18 years for sending girls to Italy. Something wrong wouldn't you say.

Edited by Artisi

Next week we'll have Aphisit repeating himself again :

" Thaksin should come back and face justice and the courts. He will recieve a fair trial."

Obviously not.... hence no chance of getting him extradited. When will people understand that the military are a law unto themselves and act beyond any remit they are given from politicians. Did Thaksin order them to stack them like logs ? Did Aphisit order them to stretch out the Rohinga refugees in the sun for three hours. Likely not but they did it anyway and the politicians have to cover their tracks. Sickening.

If it was me, if my son had been killed in the back of those trucks because they stacked them like things instead of treating them like human beings, I would take up arms. I can understand why terrorist groups get started when governments commit atrocities against civilians and then clear everyone involved.

It would be interesting to find out where these two judges (Judge Yingyut Tanor-Rachin, Judge Jutarath Santisevee) studied law.Because whatever institution educated them has questions to answer! Could someone put a tag on these two judges names so we can get more info. I am sure BKK Post and Nation are busy finding out the judges reputations right now!!! or maybe NOT!!

Edited by dee123

According to a post by Bangkok Pundit (http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2009/05/state-of-emergency-and-liability.html)

Tak Bai happened Oct 2004

Emergency decree which supposedly has got these soldiers off the hook wasn't put into force until July 2005

What is going on here?

Oh and make sure that you don't criticise this ruling as criticising court rulings is against the law. Because the courts are always right.

" Thaksin should come back and face justice and the courts. He will recieve a fair trial."

Obviously not.... hence no chance of getting him extradited. When will people understand that the military are a law unto themselves and act beyond any remit they are given from politicians. Did Thaksin order them to stack them like logs ? Did Aphisit order them to stretch out the Rohinga refugees in the sun for three hours. Likely not but they did it anyway and the politicians have to cover their tracks. Sickening.

Well I suppose we ought to give Khun Abhisit a chance to respond.In any event I note that relatives of the Tak Bai massacre victims may file criminal suits.Vorani Vanijaka has a carefully worded opinion piece in which the despair over the culture of military impunity is very apparent.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...legally-correct

Needless to say the Thaksin obsessives have lost interest in this appalling episode because there no longer seems to be a stick with which to beat their hate figure, just overwhelming evidence of the military criminality that they overlook time and time again.Moral bankruptcy in spades.

Needless to say the Thaksin obsessives have lost interest in this appalling episode because there no longer seems to be a stick with which to beat their hate figure, just overwhelming evidence of the military criminality that they overlook time and time again.Moral bankruptcy in spades.

Their silence on this thread, and about this week's most important news article, is deafening. Interesting that it doesn't warrant a news thread of its own, instead has been tacked on to a related yet long forgotten article posted in 2004.

Hard for them to admit they have been duped all along I guess.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed comment abut the courts ubonjoe

Well I suppose we ought to give Khun Abhisit a chance to respond.In any event I note that relatives of the Tak Bai massacre victims may file criminal suits.Vorani Vanijaka has a carefully worded opinion piece in which the despair over the culture of military impunity is very apparent.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...legally-correct

In my whole life I have not come across such a meek,whispered,pathetically obedient,piece of journalism as this Bangkok Post explanation/apology of why the "legally correct" judgement was reached.I feel sick.

It would be interesting to find out where these two judges (Judge Yingyut Tanor-Rachin, Judge Jutarath Santisevee) studied law.Because whatever institution educated them has questions to answer! Could someone put a tag on these two judges names so we can get more info. I am sure BKK Post and Nation are busy finding out the judges reputations right now!!! or maybe NOT!!

....and you can add Voranai Vanijaka (BKK Post journalist)to my "not welcome Christmas Party list"......Tag her!! :)

Why shoot the messenger? The Tak Bai deaths were, IMHO, nothing but 100% brutality and murder at the hands of the military and I am sickened by it now as I was then. After reading the article in the BKK Post, it is obvious that certain institutions continue to rule Thailand, and as Voranai Vanijaka also stated, it will continue to happen. At the same time, he also mentioned that it is illegal to critisize any court decision here. While we would want a more critical and damning article, his hands are tied. There can never be fair and accurate reporting from any source here.

It is a shame that the schools cannot teach about Thailand's appalling past of human rights; if human rights really exist here. Security and armed forces have always had a blanket of security allowing them to do whatever and whenever they desire. It's not a Thaksin or an Abhisit issue anymore either. It is obvious neither had/have the upper hand in the way certain things are carried out.

Another black eye for Thailand, and rightfully so. Will they ever learn? Probably not.

Why shoot the messenger? The Tak Bai deaths were, IMHO, nothing but 100% brutality and murder at the hands of the military and I am sickened by it now as I was then. After reading the article in the BKK Post, it is obvious that certain institutions continue to rule Thailand, and as Voranai Vanijaka also stated, it will continue to happen. At the same time, he also mentioned that it is illegal to critisize any court decision here. While we would want a more critical and damning article, his hands are tied. There can never be fair and accurate reporting from any source here.

It is a shame that the schools cannot teach about Thailand's appalling past of human rights; if human rights really exist here. Security and armed forces have always had a blanket of security allowing them to do whatever and whenever they desire. It's not a Thaksin or an Abhisit issue anymore either. It is obvious neither had/have the upper hand in the way certain things are carried out.

Another black eye for Thailand, and rightfully so. Will they ever learn? Probably not.

WHY SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!! INDEED!! because in real life the courageous Thai journalist that have stood up to corruption WERE SHOT!! and meanwhile those who are not dead , missing or sacked,sit in their comfy News offices with not a whiff of solidarity with those who have dared to print the truth.But continue to feed half truth and gobbledygook to their readers,THATS WHY. :)

Edited by dee123

WHY SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!! INDEED!! because in real life the courageous Thai journalist that have stood up to corruption WERE SHOT!! and meanwhile those who are not dead , missing or sacked,sit in their comfy News offices with not a whiff of solidarity with those who have dared to print the truth.But continue to feed half truth and gobbledygook to their readers,THATS WHY. :)

I fully sympathize with what you are saying- but I have to go with Frodo on this- would any news organ in this land have dared to print an editorial questioning the judgements? No-the law has spoken. Period.

But in the context of this board- what is really amazing is the silence of those normally shrill exponents of basic human rights- Just go to the forum on the drug wars- hear the screeches of indignation--- and now this? And not a peep. (aside from one predictable and feeble attempt to blame Thaksin).

*edited to change 'dee123' to 'frodo'-

Edited by blaze

In my whole life I have not come across such a meek,whispered,pathetically obedient,piece of journalism as this Bangkok Post explanation/apology of why the "legally correct" judgement was reached.I feel sick.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that this is your first encounter with the Thailand's mainstream print media.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that this is your first encounter with the Thailand's mainstream print media.

iT TAKES SOME BEATING!! :)

[but in the context of this board- what is really amazing is the silence of those normally shrill exponents of basic human rights- Just go to the forum on the drug wars- hear the screeches of indignation--- and now this? And not a peep. (aside from one predictable and feeble attempt to blame Thaksin).

Indeed....but who needs them anyway ? Its quite refreshing to breath some air unpolluted by those gong banging <deleted> for a change. They make Hare Krishna devotees seem like a very sombre crowd of grey suited salarymen.

Their silence on this thread, and about this week's most important news article, is deafening. Interesting that it doesn't warrant a news thread of its own, instead has been tacked on to a related yet long forgotten article posted in 2004.

Hard for them to admit they have been duped all along I guess.

Military criminality for sure, but don't forget a compromised judiciary.

And who was the Oberkommando at the time of the deaths? Your hero, Col Thaksin.

Another sad chapter in the history of Thailand--but one of many chapters that will never appear in any book.

Not true. It's published news, which doesn't escape the history books. The Tak Bai incident is already well covered in current books, along with the Thaksin administration's role in throwing the south out of whack. The court's ruling is a matter of public record, it will be recorded any history that deals with this topic. Amnesty International will update their records, along with hundreds of other agencies around the world. It has hardly escaped notice.