Counterfeit 1,000 Baht Notes Concern Rises

george

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for all you wanna be counterfeiters out there listen carefully, very carefully... the american secret service has agreements with ALL printer manufcturers of inkjet and laser printers...to print a sequence of blue micro dots designated by algorithyms, on EVERYTHING YOU PRINT...you cannot see them, but they are there...ever printer has its own specific sequence.

this is how they track down counterfeiters who use inkjets and laser printers....registering your warranty card will lead them right to you.

so if your thinking of doing it...DONT

the american secret service was originally formed to combat counterfeting.

for all you wanna be counterfeiters out there listen carefully, very carefully... the american secret service has agreements with ALL printer manufcturers of inkjet and laser printers...to print a sequence of blue micro dots designated by algorithyms, on EVERYTHING YOU PRINT...you cannot see them, but they are there...ever printer has its own specific sequence.

this is how they track down counterfeiters who use inkjets and laser printers....registering your warranty card will lead them right to you.

And BIG BROTHER is watching....................................................

FF

Got 40K from ATM in Phuwaing and one of the 1000 baht notes is counterfeit for sure.

OUCH! If BANKS can't spot 'em, what chance do WE have? In my experience, "holograms" are EASY to reproduce (seen plenty of 'em on inlay sheets of fake DVDs sold in Malaysia) and watermarks are no big deal. The "flecks" are a new one on me (I just checked all mine on a bug-zapper light - all OK). But I know the "strip" is hard to do - provided it runs THROUGH the note, you are generally fine. But who wants to stand in the street waving 1k baht notes around? And if you DO find a fake one - THEN what? If the ATM is attached to a bank you can go in and act tough, but what if they stand firm? And what if the ATM was in a store, garage or mall? Yeah, I'm gonna LOVE going into a cop-shop with a fake note. The only good thing about this story is the ODDS. 6 or 7 in a million was it?

you mean don't register the warranty card right? :o

now I'm sure I could do without warranty for my printer if I were a successful counterfeiter..

The sad thing is that it's mostly the smaller, struggling, sellers that will be most affected. A teller in Robinson might both have tools to their disposal and will most likely not be personally responsible for the full amount lost as a small food vendor is. So these people, as the two arrested above, specifically prey on the smallest [weakest] around. That is despicable.

preying on the weakest..Truly is despicable! There should be some sort of protection for them.

This apparently is true of LASER printers only. Link

Also in reference to an earlier post; In the U.S. when a counterfeit bill is found by a bank it is confiscated, the passer identified if possible, and the bill is turned over to the Secret Service. The passer is not compensated even if an innocent victim or merchant.

Also in reference to an earlier post; In the U.S. when a counterfeit bill is found by a bank it is confiscated, the passer identified if possible, and the bill is turned over to the Secret Service. The passer is not compensated even if an innocent victim or merchant.

many copy-machines won't reproduce bills too. -> http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/security/currency.htm

At one stage they had the plastic 50 baht note, presumably based on the Australian currency technology, somewhere along the line they went back to paper though. I believe they can't counterfeit those type of notes, maybe should have stuck with it.

They used to have plastic 50p & £1.00 notes in the Isle of Man, then they discovered that they cost more than face value to produce!

FF

they affect inkjet printers too, i had the link with all the models affected in the past...keep searching and you will find the list...with both inkjet and laser.

you mean don't register the warranty card right? :o

now I'm sure I could do without warranty for my printer if I were a successful counterfeiter..

:D ...watch out for video cameras too... and pay in cash, preferrably real cash.

you mean don't register the warranty card right? :D

:D ...watch out for video cameras too... and pay in cash, preferrably real cash.

dam_n right, years in Thai jails aren't worth it! :o

And if you DO find a fake one - THEN what? If the ATM is attached to a bank you can go in and act tough, but what if they stand firm? And what if the ATM was in a store, garage or mall? Yeah, I'm gonna LOVE going into a cop-shop with a fake note.

Most people would just try to spend it somewhere else. It wouldn't be hard to do...and that's one reason why it's so ridiculous for banks to not accept them when they find them. You'd think that banks would have a responsibility to eliminate fake notes from circulation.

How would someone prove to the police that a fake 1k bill came from an ATM?

Last week, I saw a bank teller reject a 1,000 bank note from a depositor at Chiang Rai.

Yup, instead of keeping it and contact the authourities he gave it back to them with a smile.

Saw the same thing in Chiang Rai at Siam Commercial bank someone trying to pass a counterfit $100 US bill.

Could not beleive it just gave it back to them,in any first rate country they would want to know where you got it from.

I wonder how many people print and try to pass fake bills from an INKJET????

Banknote fraudsters nabbed by police

Two Hmong men were arrested for possessing counterfeit banknotes in Mae Sot district of Tak province yesterday, local police said.

Police detained Banlang Kamolchapiram, 37, and Nachee sae Hur, 17.

On Dec 14, the couple deposited 400,000 baht in a Bangkok Bank account at Mae Sot branch.

The deposit was made in 1,000 baht notes. Bank officers detected 43 counterfeit banknotes and alerted police.

Mr Banlang denied being involved in forgery, saying that he won the phoney money gambling with his Hmong friends.

A police intelligence report said two Hmong had sold bogus banknotes to Mr Banlang.

Central Investigation Bureau deputy chief Panya Mamen said there were no major arrests of forgers since a crackdown was launched in the North, Northeast and border area.

Pol Maj-Gen Panya said most seized banknotes were photocopied.

Bangkok Post Published: 26/12/2008