Tis The Season

bkkjames

Not uncommon for this time of year but would like to let everyone know that the BIB are out in force at night doing their usual spot checks of farangs heading home late in the evening.

Case in point, last Thursday night I was returning from setting up an event at CF lad prao at 2:30 am and the taxi turned off Rachada onto Petchburi Road - into a road block.

Now normally one would think they are doing this to check for drunk drivers but nope - it's hassle the farang time of year again.

The head cop pointed his flashlight through the windshield and saw me sitting in the back of the cab. At which point he summoned it to pull over. He approached the passenger door where I was sitting and then asked me to get out. What proceeded was the usual silly questions 'where have i been / going x 2' at which point he realised that I hadn't been drinking and perhaps my dirty hands and clothing were enough to convince him that I was in fact doing what I said and was just heading home.

On other occaisions, the BIB usually do the old empty the pocket / look in the wallet routine and ask for the passport, but this time it was just the annoying questions. FYI, Sukhumvit Road up to Ekkamai is notorious for these 'security checks'.

What are they trying to achieve with this? So what if your drunk-as-a-skunk in the back of a taxi? There's no law against that is there? I very seldom carry my passport/work permit with me (never if i am out drinking that night) - but usually carry a photo copy of my passport ID page, current Visa and Work permit in my wallet... would this be enough to pacify the cops at one of these road blocks?

What are they trying to achieve with this? So what if your drunk-as-a-skunk in the back of a taxi? There's no law against that is there? I very seldom carry my passport/work permit with me (never if i am out drinking that night) - but usually carry a photo copy of my passport ID page, current Visa and Work permit in my wallet... would this be enough to pacify the cops at one of these road blocks?

Usually it's the fishing for drugs thing I guess but if one is truly annoying enough when dealing with them, they can do you up for the not carrying the passport rule / law for 5k.

I have run into this a couple of times.

1st time they asked me to step out of the taxi and said body check. Empty my pockets, look into my "empty" wallet, ask where I was going etc.

2nd time I was with the wife and her ladyboy friend. The LB asked the cops if they liked to check more. We were told to move on :o

One thing I noticed, the cab driver will absolutely look everywhere except at what the cops are doing. "see no evil" and when I asked them, they just shrug and say "polis......"

Just happened to me last week, at Asoke intersection. They asked for ID, I showed them my driving license, and was on my way. No search.

Let me guess... Two guys on a single motorbike right? These two are well known on Asoke and they're a real pain. They've stopped and searched me with a nauseating frequency ever since I've lived here. They can also be found lurking at the quiet end of Suk 19/Asoke 3 quite often. The way they conduct the search (unwrapping bits of paper, sniffing ciggies etc.) indicates they're quite obviously looking for drugs.

Just happened to me last week, at Asoke intersection. They asked for ID, I showed them my driving license, and was on my way. No search.

Let me guess... Two guys on a single motorbike right? These two are well known on Asoke and they're a real pain. They've stopped and searched me with a nauseating frequency ever since I've lived here. They can also be found lurking at the quiet end of Suk 19/Asoke 3 quite often. The way they conduct the search (unwrapping bits of paper, sniffing ciggies etc.) indicates they're quite obviously looking for drugs.

I got stopped by these two last year - at the end of Soi 23 as you turn towards Asoke. Same shakedown.

Thong Lor police, very well known for farang stop and searches from asoke up to ekamai. Drugs and visa checks is all, been stopped several times, they were always polite about the process and it's no real bother if you haven't done anything wrong.

Edited by burman

Been searched several times. They were clearly looking for drugs, and weren't interested in me once they found I don't have any. Only time it was annoying was once after they searched me, they spent several minutes trying to chat up a single female with me, unsuccessfully.

how many of you actually carry your passports on you?

and bkkjames, is it common for them to take 5k off people for not carrying their passports?

i have only once got stopped in my 4 months of being here. Me and my girlfriend just coming back from the club, she was driving. They stopped us, asked her a few questions but were more keen on checking me out (was about 4 male police, so didn't do anything more than ask my girlfriend questions). I got a body search, got asked for my passport, to which i remembered something about you having to carry your passport on you, either here or in another country, i don't know. I managed to mumble and it ended the passport question. Got my body checked for any weapons or drugs, nuts felt and all.

After that, we got let off. Thank fuc_k, cause if she got a breath test then she would have been in a bit of trouble. I think we even said we just finished at the club as well. Think they didn't, seems like police here don't want to do anything like that to the goodlooking girls. One of them even called her cute.

They were ok, a humurous bunch. Had a bit of a laugh, don't think they saw too many western teenagers here like me with a young thai girl. We are only 18.

Anyway, I'm a bit more wary now - should i start carrying my passport on me? Don't really want to.. already have the phone and apartment keys in one pocket, the wallet in the other... add the girlfriend's carkeys... and sometimes her phone

Edited by Enjibenji

Anyway, I'm a bit more wary now - should i start carrying my passport on me? Don't really want to.. already have the phone and apartment keys in one pocket, the wallet in the other... add the girlfriend's carkeys... and sometimes her phone

At least carry a decent photocopy. Laminated and in colour would be good, for that spurious 'official' look Thai officials seem to like. A few years back, in my experience, they never made a big deal about ID, but they do seem to now. The 2 old bill I mentioned above made a big song and dance, last time I got stopped (about 10 days ago) about me not having a copy of my permission to stay stamp with me. I don't bother carrying a copy of my passport anymore, since I have a Thai Driving Licence, but they spent around 5 minutes berating me for not having a copy of the stamp.

I've never had one be the least bit interested in my passport. But it's possible. I remember when they did a raid on a club in Suhkumvit and drug tested everyone. No one failed the drug test, so they fined people without passports instead. Don't know if copies were acceptable or not.

It's promotion season.

It is that time of the year when the "gold stars" get taken into account to determine whom gets an extra stripe or whatever on their lapel. For this reason they work a bit harder and are less interested in "tea money" because the want a gold star instead.

Of course a sensible copper :o would do this all year, but the rest of them are playing catch up.

I always carry mine (along with my WP) but haven't been stopped once in almost three years living here.

carry your work permit? no need, and if I am not mistaken, it must be kept at your place of work at all times.

One of the disadvantages of living along Sukhumvit is dealing with the hassles mentioned in the above posts. If you move out of the tourist areas you don't have to put up with this kind of thing. No need to move too far though. I lived on Pahonyothin near the Major Cineplex for a couple of years and wasn't stopped by the police once. Another advantage of moving away from Sukhumvit is that prices for many things drop a little, i.e. apartments and eating out. :o

One of the disadvantages of living along Sukhumvit is dealing with the hassles mentioned in the above posts. If you move out of the tourist areas you don't have to put up with this kind of thing. No need to move too far though. I lived on Pahonyothin near the Major Cineplex for a couple of years and wasn't stopped by the police once. Another advantage of moving away from Sukhumvit is that prices for many things drop a little, i.e. apartments and eating out. :o

They have been out in force up here the last week, with a number of their roadside checkpoints. I'll assume that it's time to get in the Chritmas bonuses. Checkpoint by Central, one by Major and another up on Kasesart- Nawamin.

I always carry mine (along with my WP) but haven't been stopped once in almost three years living here.

carry your work permit? no need, and if I am not mistaken, it must be kept at your place of work at all times.

Nope, you can take it wherever you like, it just needs to be at your place of work during working hours.

Nope, you can take it wherever you like, it just needs to be at your place of work during working hours.

ok, but you are not compelled to carry it with you when you leave your office.

maybe this tells me that a few farangs in bk are on police radar for drugs.this is a good idea to route out the bad farangs in thailand and i just wish they could do this in the uk.that would stop the drugs and weapons for a while.Happy to here the police are doing a good job in sleezy bk.

maybe this tells me that a few farangs in bk are on police radar for drugs.this is a good idea to route out the bad farangs in thailand and i just wish they could do this in the uk.that would stop the drugs and weapons for a while.Happy to here the police are doing a good job in sleezy bk.

:o

How can you root out bad Falangs in the UK?

As for the BIB doing a good job, don't make me laugh.

Pat, I have no issue with police doing their job but if what you say is true, then why is it only really during the holiday season that this kind of action really kicks into fast pace. surely those druggies you refer to are at it all year?

On Wireless road for example, they have roadblocks primarly for security reasons due to the US Embassy. However, two motorbike cops cruising around sukhumvit road looking for farangs to shakedown (note, this is a random thing and they are not targeting known druggies) is pure harassment and nothing else.

As for cleaning up the UK, well I will leave that to your professional police forces to deal with - perhaps we can send some of our better officers to train yours.

Edited by bkkjames

On Wireless road for example, they have roadblocks primarly for security reasons due to the US Embassy. However, two motorbike cops cruising around sukhumvit road looking for farangs to shakedown (note, this is a random thing and they are not targeting known druggies) is pure harassment and nothing else.

Exactly right. I've lost count of the times these two berks have stopped and searched me and people I know, none of whom are dealers or in anyway related to drugs. These coppers know me and have never found so much as a freakin' asprin on my person, yet continue to subject me to this bullshit whenever they see me. 'Route (sic) out the bad farangs in thailand' my arse. All they're achieving with this is increasing the kind of massive resentment among foreigners (and Thais, every single Thai I know despises the police here in Bangkok) that exists towards them already. Like james is saying, it's a shakedown, pure and simple, and a completely random one at that. They don't give a fuc_k about any 'drug problem.' It's about greed and money and they don't care who they inconvenience or embarass along the way.

You cant be overly bright to think they police are doing anything for the good of the country, theyre just harrassing farangs for an easy payday.

I was stopped in a taxi from BKK to Pattaya last week, the driver only paid 40 bht but lets say i was a business man arriving in LOS for the first time looking to invest, it wouldnt exactly have gone down well.

You cant be overly bright to think they police are doing anything for the good of the country, theyre just harrassing farangs for an easy payday.

I was stopped in a taxi from BKK to Pattaya last week, the driver only paid 40 bht but lets say i was a business man arriving in LOS for the first time looking to invest, it wouldnt exactly have gone down well.

40 baht? What for?

I was stopped 3 times in 2 weeks in July, so doubt it's just a seasonal thing. First time was nasty, with them literally jumping on me and pinning me against a wall for at least half an hour. They were cool the second time and I was so mao the third time I didn't really give a shit.

40 baht? What for?

It was more a case of stopping the taxi as opposed to me, the taxi driver was doing nothing wrong just he needed to pay his small amount of tea money ............ he says this is a regular occurance but more so in BKK, where the charge is 100 up.

Guys, we get off lightly. Average Thais (businessmen on their way home, lone women, taxis full of clubbers) get stopped all the time and have to pay. If you ask most Thais, they say if police at a checkpoint see farang in the car they'll not want to stop it for no good reason. I have found that to be true.