Thai Music Pub at N End of Walking Street – still there?

henrik2000

5 years ago there was a Thai live music pub at the very northern end of Pattaya Walking Street.

Location back then: Coming from Beach Road, you enter Walking Street, and the Thai live music pub was almost immediately to your right (the side closer to the water). It used to be on Google Maps, and now it's not. The location would have been about where Google Maps now shows The Old Weed Man (no affiliation) (Old Weed Man on Google Maps, to show the circa location of that music pub).

That Thai live music pub could have been overlooked, because it had a long dark entryway. It played mostly luukthung/morlam and wasn't what you expect on Walking Street.

Do you know if that pub

• Is still there

• Moved

• Vanished completely?

--

Otherwise, Thai live music (luukthung/morlam, pleua chiwit) seems to be increasingly thin on the ground in Patts?

• Jomtien used to have "Baan Isaan", but seems to have disappeared from Google Maps too.

• Kum Pun (soi 2) closed years ago.

• There was also "Chem Isaan", quite open-air with rattled bamboo furniture, and quite lame, somewhere "inland" maybe north of 2nd road.

The discoes have some live music, but not my style. I am not looking for western rock-oldie-covers.

(I know all the Tawan Daengs etc. in Bkk, Isaan etc.)

For any suggestions for Thai live music in Patts, I hear you.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, mushroomdave said:

Not sure this is what you want but it's where I go with all my Thai friends for Isaan Music.....and never dull!

Thanks, that's a great hint! It's not the one i was after initially, but i will certainly visit the place soon and hadn't been aware of it at all.

18 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Jomtien used to have "Baan Isaan",

I had said that above, but the real name is actually "Ban Morlam". It used to be behind Rompho Market in Jomtien, roughly next to "S Club Pattaya" which is on G Maps, but "Ban Morlam" is not. But it was there on the ground in 2016.

Can anyone update me to what Live Music venues (that I might know?) are NOW still playing in Pattaya?

As a UK resident I visited Pattaya most years from 2010 until my last visit in March 2019. I will be returning there in December 2022.

1. In Walking Street there was a live music venue approximately 150 yards from Beach Road end on the right hand side. It had table and chairs as you entered with a central bar (so you could walk to its rear area to left or to the right hand side of that bar). The live music (for at least 5 years from 2014 to 2019) was provided by a large group fronted by a big black guy and a white female singers + 4/5 members of their supporting band. Their stage was to the right hand side as you entered from Walking Street. Their gents toilet was in their rear left hand side corner. 

2. Is the Bamboo Club/Bar still playing Live Music? This was situated - from the end of Beach Road turn left (i.e. do NOT enter Walking Street) and the Bamboo venue was about 30 yards from Walking Street on the Right Hand Side. Normally the live music was provided by a Thai group but featured popular Western songs. The long bar was to the Right Hand Side as you entered. The gents toilets were near the stage on the Right Hand Side. All drinks were served by Waitress’s

3. in Soi 8, going from Beach Road, about half way up on the Right Hand Side (close to the small Soi connecting to Soi 7) there was another very popular Live Music + singing. As you entered the stage was on the Left Hand Side with a lot of tables and chairs situated on the Right Hand Side. All drinks were served by waitress’s. 

4. There was another nice small Live music bar on a small Soi connecting “i think” Soi 8 to Soi 7 with “I. think” a group from the Phillipines? 

5. Facing Soi 6 from Beach Road, on the Right Hand Side, there was a large bar with 2 Pool Tables, many tables and chairs and a large central bar with the Live group on a stage facing beyond the bar and pool tables towards Beach Road. 

6. Facing Soi 6 from Beach Road, on the Left Hand Side, there was a small bar (with NO live music) BUT if you walked to the left (i.e. from Soi 6 along Beach Road) for about 12 yards there was a small Live Music bar there. NOTE - walking inside this bar from Beach Road if you continued there was a multitude of other bars, etc AND another of my favourite Live Music venues in Pattaya

called “Cloud 9” 

Are any of the above still open and playing Live Music + Singing again NOW? 

8 hours ago, Lipboy said:

Can anyone update me to what Live Music venues (that I might know?) are NOW still playing in Pattaya?

Lisa on the beach (just up from the Hilton) has a really good band. 

Hot tuna on walking street always has a good band. 

thats all I ever go to

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

I had said that above, but the real name is actually "Ban Morlam". It used to be behind Rompho Market in Jomtien, roughly next to "S Club Pattaya" which is on G Maps, but "Ban Morlam" is not. But it was there on the ground in 2016.

I live right around that corner next to Laguna 2 since about 2017 and haven't seen any kind of club like that open near there other than S Club.  Walk by it many times a day so I guess it's gone..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

I live right around that corner next to Laguna 2 since about 2017 and haven't seen any kind of club like that open near there other than S Club.  Walk by it many times a day so I guess it's gone..

Thanks for the update. I noted in 2016 that the place didn't have any action at all before midnight, or maybe before 1 a.m.. So like ZAB, it sadly seems to be gone. ZAB was much more fun though, even if on WS.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Lipboy said:

1. In Walking Street there was a live music venue approximately 150 yards from Beach Road end on the right hand side.

That was Candy Shop. I haven't been along there for a long time but I am sure a WS regular will confirm either way.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Lipboy said:

3. in Soi 8,

Rolling Live - still going as far as I know.

On holiday in Pattaya last August:

- ZAB indeed gone. Was not my scene but I used to notice it on previous visits.

- Candy Shop still open; I believe it's under same management as Lucifer and The Muzzik Cafe further south down the road. BTW The Muzzik Cafe has live bands similar to Candy Shop, i.e. play contemporary dance pop (Dua Lipa, Calvin Harris etc).

I seem to remember diagonally across the road from Muzzik Cafe a live heavy metal bar so loud I crossed the street to avoid my ears being blasted off, but hey, maybe that's your cup of tea.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 5:44 PM, inf said:

Candy Shop still open; I believe it's under same management as Lucifer and The Muzzik Cafe further south down the road. BTW The Muzzik Cafe has live bands similar to Candy Shop, i.e. play contemporary dance pop (Dua Lipa, Calvin Harris etc).

I do like Candy shop, Lucifer and Muzzik Cafe. 5 years ago in Patpong, who would have guessed that Lucifer is such a heaving place with a great dance pop band.

Candy Shop and Muzzik Café certainly seem rather similar. But on two visits, listening in from outside, I decided to sit down in Candy Shop, not Muzzik Café, as the music in Candy Shop seemed a bit more spicy.

Hello, OP again here. Have you seen any changes to Pattaya's Thai live music scene since Christmas 2022? Any openings or reopenings or closures since then? Aware that SinLaping and Kon Lah Fun are busy each night. I am back in town for a bit.

Also interested in new places for live dance pop or jazz, but not straight rock (neither Thai nor English).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, OP again here. Have you seen any changes to Pattaya's Thai live music scene since Christmas 2022? Any openings or reopenings or closures since then? Aware that SinLaping and Kon Lah Fun are busy each night. I am back in town for a bit.

Also interested in new places for live dance pop or jazz, but not straight rock (neither Thai nor English).

Thanks!

Sugar Hut resort on Thappraya has the Jazz pit, Malibrew on Soi 3 just off Pattaya Beach Rd also have jazz.

ComfortableEnormousCormorant-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1