Australian Jailed For People Trafficking Two Thai Women

Jai Dee

Australian jailed for people trafficking two Thai women

A 48-year-old Australian hairdresser, Keith William Dobie, from the Gold Coast, was sentenced to five years in prison in the Brisbane District Court Tuesday for people trafficking.

Police believe he is the first person to be sentenced for the crime in Australia, ABC Radio reported.

Dobie pleaded guilty to luring two Thai women to work as prostitutes in Australia. The court was told the women were aware of the nature of their jobs, but were deceived about the hours they would work and were not paid the full amount they were promised.

Judge Leanne Clare said Dobie's crime and treatment of the women was calculated, protracted and callous. She ordered he serve at least 22 months before parole.

Source: DPA - 23 December 2008

Hairdresser who forced women into sexual slavery jailed

0,,6412444,00.jpg

A Gold Coast hairdresser who forced two Thai women into sexual slavery to pay off debts to violent loan sharks has been jailed for five years.

Keith William Dobie, 48, was the first person in Australia charged with people trafficking under new laws brought in two years ago to clamp down on international sex slavery, the Courier Mail reports.

The former hairdresser yesterday pleaded guilty in the Brisbane District Court to two counts of people trafficking, one count of handling proceeds of crime, and four counts of presenting false documents.

Dobie lured the women to Australia to work as prostitutes with promises of easy money and generous working conditions, but turned into an abusive and demanding pimp after they arrived, the court was told.

Prosecutor Peter Flanagan, SC, said Dobie secured visas for the women by presenting false immigration documents to Australian officials in Thailand.

He said Dobie was desperate to pay back money he had borrowed from Gold Coast loan sharks to finance his hairdressing salon and gambling addiction.

The women were both mothers and saw the trip as an opportunity to set up their families financially, Mr Flanagan said.

But on arriving on the Gold Coast, the women were forced to see as many as five clients a day, even when they were in physical pain from frequent sex and were menstruating.

Mr Flanagan said Dobie earned up to $1000-a-day from the women, giving them the use of a room and $20 dollars a day for food and expenses in return.

He sent as little as $600 in total to each of the womens' families.

Mr Flanagan said Dobie was verbally and physically abusive, telling one of the women she "had to work whether she liked it or not", and told them they would be arrested by immigration officials if they tried to escape.

Judge Leanne Clare told Dobie his treatment of the women had been "particularly demeaning and callous".

"Your true intention was to make as much money from these women by working them as often as possible so you could pay off your own debts," she said.

"In your numerous appearances before me I have seen no indication of remorse for your crimes or the suffering they have caused."

She sentenced him to five years. He will be eligible for parole after serving 22 months.

Source: Herald-Sun - 23 December 2008

A 48-year-old Australian hairdresser, Keith William Dobie, from the Gold Coast, was sentenced to five years in prison in the Brisbane District Court Tuesday for people trafficking.

Police believe he is the first person to be sentenced for the crime in Australia, ABC Radio reported.

Dobie pleaded guilty to luring two Thai women to work as prostitutes in Australia. The court was told the women were aware of the nature of their jobs, but were deceived about the hours they would work and were not paid the full amount they were promised.

Judge Leanne Clare said Dobie's crime and treatment of the women was calculated, protracted and callous. She ordered he serve at least 22 months before parole.

As an Australian with a thai wife I am ashamed of this persons actions. It should be noted tho it is not just Australian men who will lure vulnerable thai women into this industry with promises of a better life in another country. A lot of thai women are desparate to better their lives and all I can say is that they should be very care of farangs who offer false love and promises of a better life abroad. Just for the record my thai wife and son live in chiangmai where we are happy.

Oh, please, don`t, you`re have me in tears in a minute

As an Australian with a thai wife I am ashamed of this persons actions. It should be noted tho it is not just Australian men who will lure vulnerable thai women into this industry with promises of a better life in another country. A lot of thai women are desparate to better their lives and all I can say is that they should be very care of farangs who offer false love and promises of a better life abroad. Just for the record my thai wife and son live in chiangmai where we are happy.

Same, Aussie, thai wife I concur wholeheartedly.

the thai women knew exactly what they were going to do so they were not vunerable and would be doing the same in oz as in thailand no doubt.

That may or may not be true. What we have to understand is that a lot of these ladies in thailand would not be doing this sort of thing if they had a choice. Many come from very poor villages with little or no education and have strong family values. They do this sort of thing to support thier parents who are to old to work and try to provide a better life for thier children. This monster would have promised them large amounts of money and a great lifestyle. In reality he was using them for his own personal gain and he alone would have been making the money. They would have received a pitence for their work, thier passports would have been taken from them, they would have been living in sub standard accomadation and supplied with the bare nessecities of life. No medical coverage because they would have been working in an illeagle brothel. They would not have received the funds to send back home to parents and family because they were sex slaves. Yes they were vulnerable to the promises of wealth. It has happened before. The man is a monster and I feel sorry for the women. If they knew the truth they would never have gone.

the thai women knew exactly what they were going to do so they were not vunerable and would be doing the same in oz as in thailand no doubt.

That may or may not be true. What we have to understand is that a lot of these ladies in thailand would not be doing this sort of thing if they had a choice. Many come from very poor villages with little or no education and have strong family values. They do this sort of thing to support thier parents who are to old to work and try to provide a better life for thier children. This monster would have promised them large amounts of money and a great lifestyle. In reality he was using them for his own personal gain and he alone would have been making the money. They would have received a pitence for their work, thier passports would have been taken from them, they would have been living in sub standard accomadation and supplied with the bare nessecities of life. No medical coverage because they would have been working in an illeagle brothel. They would not have received the funds to send back home to parents and family because they were sex slaves. Yes they were vulnerable to the promises of wealth. It has happened before. The man is a monster and I feel sorry for the women. If they knew the truth they would never have gone.

Just so I understand, if he had paid them a good wage for their work, they had good conditions to live in with everything they needed to do their job, were able to send money back to their family's, he would still be classed as a scumbag, or is he a scumbag because of the way he treated them when they arrived in Australia?

I'm from Europe and i talk what i saw 15 years ago. Most of Thailadys who lives in Europe work sonner or later as a prostitute (not all, but most). Most of the Philipinas who lives in Europe, are married, stay with their husband or work in some hospital, Restaurant or even Supermarket. Personally i think it's not a shame, or i not look some Lady down, if she works as a Prostitute. But have to stand behind, not try to make any excuses about supporting their families. Personally i don't see the reason why parents of this girls, have to retire with 45 years and just waiting the money comming from Pattaya or overseas. Why they need their own houses. I'm 45 year old and don't own a house either. We farangs work until 65 year old. But for the "Aussi Case" i'm quite sure, they knew what tey are going for and if the Australian Hairdresser not getting greedy, i think he never get caught. It's always a matter of money.

He looks more like an politician than a women trafficker or a hairdresser .... :o

Well it was politicians that decided to traffick people there in the first place. I suppose he can't see anything wrong with it considering his ancestors suffered the same fate. :D

John.....

What we have to understand is that a lot of these ladies in thailand would not be doing this sort of thing if they had a choice.

There's no need to understand this because it's not true. All ladies living in Thailand have a choice to become prostitutes or not.

The ones who choose the profession are looking for an easy way out of poverty. For every woman who makes the choice, there are thousands who choose not to.

Please, let's not play that broken record again about how these poor prostitutes were forced into this life and only pursued this career to support their families. What about the millions of honest Thai women who are supporting their families by working two decent jobs? You demean them each time you make that comment. I worked as a prison physician for many years and can tell you that every criminal states that they were only trying to support their family. It sounds much better than they were greedy, lazy, and supporting a drug habit. Prostitutes are criminals in Thailand and most other countries, pure and simple, and this Aussie is also now a criminal. Prostitution in Australia is legal except in Western and Southern Australia. They were lucky to be in an area where there are legal brothels; otherwise, they might be serving a sentence alongside him.

Please, let's not play that broken record again about how these poor prostitutes were forced into this life and only pursued this career to support their families. What about the millions of honest Thai women who are supporting their families by working two decent jobs? You demean them each time you make that comment. I worked as a prison physician for many years and can tell you that every criminal states that they were only trying to support their family. It sounds much better than they were greedy, lazy, and supporting a drug habit. Prostitutes are criminals in Thailand and most other countries, pure and simple, and this Aussie is also now a criminal. Prostitution in Australia is legal except in Western and Southern Australia. They were lucky to be in an area where there are legal brothels; otherwise, they might be serving a sentence alongside him.

Hallajuhla, well said..

Way to much of this going on. This guys sentance a slap on the hands. Many, if not most of these Thai women are uninformed and unsuspecting regarding the hazards of being "relocated" to another country. Many parents here in LOS thinking nothing of selling their daughters off to this sort of stuff. I had one lady I knew who was sold to a "recruiter" (by her Mother) for 15,000 bht, who then transported her to Malaysia to work in a massage parlor. Fortunately, she gave them the slip after a couple of weeks & returned to Thailand.

The ones who choose the profession are looking for an easy way out of poverty. For every woman who makes the choice, there are thousands who choose not to.

There are few easy ways out of poverty and although hiring a prostitute is an easy and inexpensive way for many of the wanke_rs on this board to get a cheap thrill, it is not an easy way out of poverty. What exactly are you thinking here?!?

And not to add more insult, but why not considering you feel that prostitution is an "easy" way out of poverty, in fact there are only a handful of similarly poor women in Thailand who do not choose to enter the sex trade for each one who does.

Wrong:

Everyone has choices in life.

Oh, please, don`t, you`re have me in tears in a minute

So basically he is a pimp right?

Seems a bit harsh to me, the girls new exactly what they were doing.

Wrong:

Everyone has choices in life.

Easy to say when you don't have to live in a shed with 10 other family members, work on farms when you're 10 years old, don't have parents who don't care what you have to do, don't live in a society where you are expected to take care of your family, nomatter how you get the money, earn 3000THB a month for working 12 hours a day in a factory or can't write because you've never been send to school. :o

I agree that these girls knew what they were going to do, but the false promises and the bad treatment they had, makes the hairdresser scum.

There are few easy ways out of poverty and although hiring a prostitute is an easy and inexpensive way for many of the wanke_rs on this board to get a cheap thrill, it is not an easy way out of poverty. What exactly are you thinking here?!?

And not to add more insult, but why not considering you feel that prostitution is an "easy" way out of poverty, in fact there are only a handful of similarly poor women in Thailand who do not choose to enter the sex trade for each one who does.

I'm informed that half the women in Thailand choose to prostitute for easy money. This is not my opinion, but from a Thai woman. She says they like to have money to drink, have party, clothes nice, and for cell phones.

I won't attempt to make any moral judgements on whether or not the women should have been doing what they were doing; but the guy obviously treated them badly and is therefore an asshol_e and deserves the sentence he got from the Aussie court.

Agreed, the girls knew exactly what they were doing but he exploited them and that's not the Aussie way of doing things which is based on fair play.

I won't attempt to make any moral judgements on whether or not the women should have been doing what they were doing; but the guy obviously treated them badly and is therefore an asshol_e and deserves the sentence he got from the Aussie court.

Agreed, the girls knew exactly what they were doing but he exploited them and that's not the Aussie way of doing things which is based on fair play.

I look at it a bit differently.... the were simply laborers plying their trade in a different country. If he took advantage of them, I don't see it.

Also, why is everyone so up in arms about those 2 girls when most people here pay for it all the time in Thailand?

Not all the girls in LOS do it for the easy money, many are really forced and you all support it! Talk about letting it spew from both sides of your mouth..............................