Farang Women, Marriage And The Thai Law

I have recently married my Thai boyfriend, and am really confused about how different the law is for foriegn women who marry Thai citizens. People tell me that I can have my name on the house registration, but how? I've heard that I don't have to show an income when requesting a marriage O visa, is this true? I was told from my husband all the way to Immiagration that I should just change my citizenship, is it really that easy? But I can't seem to get the detailed answers to my questions from anywhere. Exactly how different are the laws for foriegn women? I am currently on a Non-Ed visa, but would like to change it to an O status as soon as possible--I'm graduating at the end of the academic year, but would like to have my visa situation taken care of before I have to start monthly visa runs, and most definatly want to go the shortest and easiest route to residency. If anyone can help fill me, I would be very thankful.

Bakswana,

Have you registered your marriage at a local Amphur? If you have then fine, if not then you need to do that first. Once registered you can go along to your local immigration office to change your visa status, an O Visa. You will not be required to show funds in the bank, according to Thai culture the husband should take care of the wife.

You will not have to do visa runs as your O visa permits you to stay for a year and is renewable.

Not sure about having your name put on the house registration part. I was under the assumption that one could do so after obtaining Permanent Residency.

Hope this helps! :o

would be surprised, if this is not valid anymore for farang women marrying a thai:

they get automatic citizenship.

much easier for women to become thai than for the weaker gender, yes, and I mean weaker gender. just take a look at how difficult life is for men here.

Actually danone, you are dead wrong. Farang women do not get automatic citizenship but must apply and there are income requirements from the husband as well. Also, they require at least 3 one year extensions.

As for the one year visa, first you must get a Non-O and then you can apply for the one year extension. We are required by our immigration office to show marriage license, business license, photocopy of bank book, letter from the puyaiban. Requirements may vary from office to office. Check with your local office first.

Bakswanna, feel free to pm me with any questions as I have been doing this for many, many years.

As far as I know, you can go on the house registration but the last time my husband talked to our local amphur they didn't know how to do it. Which, of course, is the same problem I faced when trying to apply for citizenship. :o

Danone,

I don't think that farang women can get the citizenship automatically but it may certainly be easier than it is for the 'weaker' gender.

My understanding is that once you have had three years worth of Non Imm O's or B's or a combination of either, you can apply for Permanent Residency. I thought women had to hang on for five years or so before they could apply for citizenship? :o

As for immediate citizenship, I am positive that it doesn't work like that, though I keep hearing that all I have to do is ask the correct people at they will magically wave their wand and I'll become Thai. But I like using the phrase, "But I am NOT Thai" in arguments, so I am not terribly rushed to change my citizenship. An address would be nice, though, and I am sure it is possible to be on the house registration at marriage, but can't figure out how. But if anyone has any thoughts...

Thank you