Some help for a technophobe

the scouser

Sorry folks, but I know sod all about mobile phones other than how to make a phone call. The question I have is.....

I have a British pay-as-you-go phone (Orange network - Samsung GSM dualband phone) which I would like to use in Thailand where I already have a pay-as-you-go DTAC sim card. What do I need to do to get the phone to work in LoS and am I better doing whatever's necessary in the UK or Thailand?

Cheers,

Scouse.

If you can get it done cheaply enough in the UK, do it there. Though, as Samsungs aren't the most popular mobile telephone brand in the UK, it may be difficult to find a shop with the software to 'network unlock' it. The price in London for such things is £10 - £15.

As Nokia mobile telephones are more popular, the software is generally more easily available.

If you do it in the UK, you can be up and running as soon as you're in the Bkk airport.

If not, the Mahboonkhrong Centre in the Siam Square area of Bangkok, is the place to go to for such matters.

You can alight at the National Stadium or the Siam Square Skytrain Station. Alternatively Bus number 15 from the Radjdamnoern(Ratchadamnoen) Road near the Khaosan Road area or Airport Bus no 4 from the airport will take you there.

I have just bought a Sony Ericsson t600 in Thailand , without sim. Back in Uk I swapped the sim from my old mobile , now the Thai phone is up and running on my UK network. Surely you can just do the reverse in Thailand? Or will there be a problem if the phone has already been used on another network? Btw I'm no phone addict , but the prices of phones in Thailand seem to be quite low in comparison with UK , especially if you buy them in Isaan/away from Bkk.

The Thai mobile telephone you bought was not locked to a network.

Most mobile telephone prices in the UK are subsidised by the networks. In order to recoup their investment, they 'lock' the telephone to their network to prevent you buying a telephone from them, but using it in a rival's network.

It is not usually difficult to get them 'unlocked'.