Anyone Ever Hear This?

Jeddah Jo

I probably mis-heard this when I was leaving the room, but could someone possibly have said

ดากแห้ง

Hope not as it doesn't sound very nice :o

ดาก is slang for anus, but can also refer to vagina. ดาก แห้ง may mean a woman that can't get (or keep?) a husband. Not sure. I asked my wife (a Lao speaker from Vientiane - not really up with Isaan slang, which can be pretty earthy). She suggested this, but not with a lot of confidence.

I have just asked my Thai wife from Isaan about this. She says you have spelt it correctly and it is indeed rude. She gives the example of her asking me for money and I refuse to give her money. She then wants me to know she is not 'very happy' about this in no uncertain terms. It must be a pretty bad thing to say as she says she has never personally heard it said. I hope you will not be seeing this person again soon!! :o

Since we're already on the topic, is "jep dtoot" a close approximation of the slightly less

severe expression "pain in the as_" ? The swearing just fascinates me. :o Just kidding,

I really don't want to know any more. I went to KFC the other day and the girl said

"ow alai wah" under her breath and me, always with a clever retort, repeated it.

They almost died from embarrassment. Oh well, as long as everybody get a laugh. :D

It must be a pretty bad thing to say as she says she has never personally heard it said.

She's from Isan, and has never heard that said? :D

I told her you were skeptical that she had never heard this. She is adamant though, never personally heard it used. She says the word of 'choice' for this sort of cursing she has heard (but naturally has never used :o )is ควย.

Come to think of it, there are many cursing words I have heard on the TV or read in books I have never personally heard used. You 'Mother f***' and 'frigging idiot' spring to mind.

Edited by dsfbrit

Kwaai? the buffalo word? I thought that just meant like, clumsy oaf, dufus? On the severity scale,

maybe a 5/10? The one I seem to remember from the Thai comedies but I've also never heard in

real life is this expression "sip-haai"? What does that mean? The life of a swearing connoisseur is

not an easy path. Of course, even when a 90lb Thai girl cranks up the volume to "stun" a simple

utterance of "farang" sounds like an evil insult intended to make ancestors roll in graves. :o

It must be a pretty bad thing to say as she says she has never personally heard it said.

She's from Isan, and has never heard that said? :D

I told her you were skeptical that she had never heard this. She is adamant though, never personally heard it used. She says the word of 'choice' for this sort of cursing she has heard (but naturally has never used :o )is ควย.

Come to think of it, there are many cursing words I have heard on the TV or read in books I have never personally heard used. You 'Mother f***' and 'frigging idiot' spring to mind.

In Lao/Isaan, ดาก isn't a "cursing word," it's just a word, meaning "ass, buttocks, etc."

Anyone who hasn't heard it, doesn't speak Lao/Isaan.

I try to joke about it but mostly I'm just being facetious. The word for chat คุย (koo-ey) the term

for the male organ (koo-ai) buffalo (kwaai) and then banana (glu-ay) are an excellent example

of how dangerous pronunciations can be. It's easier for me to write simple terms down and

then there's no chance of a misunderstanding. I've heard girls say dak-dak as in slang for

doing the business with a fella? I'll stick with boom-boom. For 30+ years a safe term. :o

I try to joke about it but mostly I'm just being facetious. The word for chat คุย (koo-ey) the term

for the male organ (koo-ai) buffalo (kwaai) and then banana (glu-ay) are an excellent example

of how dangerous pronunciations can be. It's easier for me to write simple terms down and

then there's no chance of a misunderstanding. I've heard girls say dak-dak as in slang for

doing the business with a fella? I'll stick with boom-boom. For 30+ years a safe term. :o

Here in Bangkok that term is usually accompanied with the hand movement to add extra emphasis, or the hand movement is used instead of actually saying the expression, but is understood for what it implies.