5 Yr Driving Licence

Sparkles

Have to convert my one year temporary driving licence ,obtained in Bangkok, to a 5 year job now I am living in CM.

What do ? need. Did ring them but the explanation was somewhat confusing.

For example do you need to take the test again, do you require the Consul to confirm your address in writing as you do in Bangkok, do they have digital camera on site ? A list would be most appreciated

Copy passport

Copy Visa

Copy Stamp

Paper from immigration stating your address or yellow Tabien bahn or copy WP

Medical certificate.

Your old driving license.

No need for photos anymore, they take photos there.

Important that you go to renew after your license has expired.

If you go before you'll not get the new one.

If you're renewing both car and MC, remember to bring double copies of everything.

char124.gif

Copy passport

Copy Visa

Copy Stamp

Medical certificate.

If you're renewing both car and MC, remember to bring double copies of everything.

char124.gif

Thank you . Does that mean you don't have to do test again

Copy passport

Copy Visa

Copy Stamp

Medical certificate.

char124.gif

Thank you . Does that mean you don't have to do test again

That is what it means.

When my 1 year was up and I changed it to the 5 year I did not have to do the test again. You license has to be near to expiration before they will give you the new one.

There is a hospital a few blocks before the office that will give you the medical cert for 60 Baht. I got repremanded for smiling when they were taking my photo, you gotta have that standard polititians sour look for all official photos.

The lady at the counter is the most helpful govt employee i have ever come across.

• 1 month later...
I got repremanded for smiling when they were taking my photo, you gotta have that standard polititians sour look for all official photos.

The lady at the counter is the most helpful govt employee i have ever come across.

Helpful, and most attractive!

I went in at 7:55am today with my expired (18 days ago) 1 year temporary license. I also had my medical certificate, passport, work permit, plus copies of passport and work permit. And 460 baht.

At 8:10 I saw a woman go to the counter and I asked her if I had to wait at the Info Desk for a queue#. She went over my paper work, filled in a few things, took me to the Info Desk and gave me queue #1.

At 8:25 I was called, and in spite of them having the wrong address for me on the computer, and in spite of the printer printing three 'duds', I was still out of there with my 5-year by 8:50am.

No test, nothing. And as my birthday is in December, I actually have a 5-year, 11-month license...

They wouldn't let me smile either (too bad - I was really happy!).

I got repremanded for smiling when they were taking my photo, you gotta have that standard polititians sour look for all official photos.

I went in at 7:55am today with my expired (18 days ago) 1 year temporary license. I also had my medical certificate, passport, work permit, plus copies of passport and work permit. And 460 baht.

At 8:10 I saw a woman go to the counter and I asked her if I had to wait at the Info Desk for a queue#. She went over my paper work, filled in a few things, took me to the Info Desk and gave me queue #1.

At 8:25 I was called, and in spite of them having the wrong address for me on the computer, and in spite of the printer printing three 'duds', I was still out of there with my 5-year by 8:50am.

No test, nothing. And as my birthday is in December, I actually have a 5-year, 11-month license...

Licences muct have been on "special". I paid 500b plus (cant remember being given receipt).....plus 100 baht for photo and had to stuff around at immigration and pay 500 baht to get a certificate proving I was living in CM ,as if they would know ,they just went by my wifes ID card!!!! If your passport shows that you have not left the country for 18 mths you would think that would indicate you are living here. I got 5 and a half years as my birthday is in July. Why was your name on the computer, you mean they are actually linked. my temporary licence was issued in Bangkok.

Took me 5 hours as Immy closed for lunch.

Licences muct have been on "special". I paid 500b plus (cant remember being given receipt).....plus 100 baht for photo and had to stuff around at immigration and pay 500 baht to get a certificate proving I was living in CM ,as if they would know ,they just went by my wifes ID card!!!! If your passport shows that you have not left the country for 18 mths you would think that would indicate you are living here. I got 5 and a half years as my birthday is in July. Why was your name on the computer, you mean they are actually linked. my temporary licence was issued in Bangkok.

Getting a residency certificate from immigration is a lot less hassle (and a lot, lot cheaper) than a residency letter from my consulate. Once I had all the correct papers, it took me 30 mins to get my 5 year licence. Helpful (but slightly picky) staff. The licence is also very useful as a photo ID for domestic flights, hotel check-in etc.

Mark

Licences muct have been on "special". I paid 500b plus (cant remember being given receipt).....plus 100 baht for photo and had to stuff around at immigration and pay 500 baht to get a certificate proving I was living in CM

...(snip)...

Why was your name on the computer, you mean they are actually linked. my temporary licence was issued in Bangkok.

Sorry - checked my receipts 500bt and 100bt photo (coulda sworn I got change from a thousand for two licenses).

My work-permit saved me that 500bt - I like that!

I got my temporary here in CM last year - they just had the address entered incorrectly. Dunno about Bkk.

• 2 months later...

Quote ...When my 1 year was up and I changed it to the 5 year I did not have to do the test again. You license has to be near to expiration before they will give you the new one.

Just been to try and get a 5 year license as mine expires tomorrow. The woman explained that your 1 year license must have expired before a 5 year one will be issued. She said come back Tuesday (closed Monday). I asked if there was a 'grace' period as my license expires tomorrow, she said no, drive very very carefully!!!

Important that you go to renew after your license has expired. If you go before you'll not get the new one.

I might be imagining this, but i could have sworn that i saw in a previous thread something which read the renewal of a 5 year driving license must be applied for 5 months prior to the expiry date! Renewing a license after the it has expired would mean you're driving or riding around illegally even if only for a day or 2 depending on days of the week, holidays and all that. Can someone confirm please the official line for renewal of a 5 year license, i.e. before expiry, on or before the expiry date (depending on the above), or after it has expired as per PoorSucker's post.

I've had 2 licences now, both issued in BKK, and the only test i had to take was a 25 second check for colour blindness.

Oh, BTW, i had to get a residency certificate when i changed ownership for a green book last year, but the immigration told me i had to get this from the British consulate. Bloody thing cost around 2,000 Baht, give or take, for 2 lines of text :o

Cheers

Aitch

Quote ...When my 1 year was up and I changed it to the 5 year I did not have to do the test again. You license has to be near to expiration before they will give you the new one.

Just been to try and get a 5 year license as mine expires tomorrow. The woman explained that your 1 year license must have expired before a 5 year one will be issued. She said come back Tuesday (closed Monday). I asked if there was a 'grace' period as my license expires tomorrow, she said no, drive very very carefully!!!

It is correct that the 1 year has to expire before renewal to 5 year. The Thai law states that a license has to be at least one year old before it can be renewed. 5 year renewal can be done at anytime beginning 90 days before expiration and you can not let the 5 year license expire or you start over again. Done mine in December 5 year to 5 year. There is another topic around somewhere where I posted my experience and a scanned copy of the requirements they handed to me.

//edit - found it > 5 year renewal