Work Permit Changing Information

I would like to know if I can change my place of employment and use the same work permit or do I have to get a new work permit and visa. if so, How do I go about doing it?

That is a good question. I was wondering the same thing? After many trips to Thailand, and living in Malaysia as a Peace Corps Volunteer years ago, I am seriously thinking of moving to Chiang Mai to teach TEFL, or work in social work/mental health doing something.

My question is, the school I would be attending (TEXT & TALK) for my TEFL certificate said they could get me a year work-visa (within two weeks), but I would still need to leave the country every three months? I am still not clear why I would need to leave the country every three months -- if I have a one year work-visa?

Also, is anyone familar with "TEXT & TALK Language School in Chiang Mai?

cheers!

I would like to know if I can change my place of employment and use the same work permit or do I have to get a new work permit and visa. if so, How do I go about doing it?

What does place of employment mean? Just the physical place or does the employer change?

In case of changes just look at page 22 of your work permit. Following options to change and/or add:

- Description of job

- Place of work

- Location of work

All those certainly take for granted that the original empolyer does not change.

Therefore to answer the questions:

1. If the employer (company you work for) does not change no need for a new work permit and visa respectively. Just go do the Labour Department in Din Daeng and get the appropriate form which also tells you what additional paperwork is required to make the change.

2. If the employer changes means the basis your Non-Immigrant B was granted on a new work permit and hence a new visa will be necessary.

Possibly, there is the option to apply for a new (additional) work permit while the previous one is still valid and you keep the previous job while the application is still processed. When the new work permit is granted and handed over quit the old job and hand the work permit in. Suggest discussing this subject with the Labour Department prior to engaging in any action.

Technically, your Non-Imigrant B may nevertheless become invalid because the rule is that it was granted only on the facts provided in the original application. Therefore, if changing the job may result in an invalidation of the visa but possibly it is not considered that strict if there has never been any interruption in holding a work permit. To be absolutely on the safe side address Immigration about the situation prior to engaging in any activities of changing the present situation.

Good luck,

Richard