The Pattaya Beach Consessions ?

bow

What is the story behind the Pattaya beach chair consessions (excuse spelling) ?

It looks like a very nice line of business - on the surface.

Decent working hours, start at about 8 and close about 6.

You can stay out at the beach all day.

And, of course, cash coming in every day.

But, I suppose there is a catch.

Does anyone know how it works ?

1. Monthly rent for your area - depending on the area anything from Baht 8000 to Baht 20,000 (roughly) per month

2. Cost of beach chairs, tables etc

3. Beer, soft drink and whatever else you want to serve plus ice to keep all cold and not forgetting the cooler box.

4. It is a job reserved for Thais only

Occasionally a concession will come up for sale from around 600,000 baht on Jomtien beach anyway, my Thai neighbour has 4, one he operates himself and the others are rented out, OK just now but dead as a dodo off season or rainy times???

Occasionally a concession will come up for sale from around 600,000 baht on Jomtien beach anyway, my Thai neighbour has 4, one he operates himself and the others are rented out, OK just now but dead as a dodo off season or rainy times???

the lady who is doing my pedicure has gone to her home town so i went on tuesday to Jomtien Beach to have the job done. everything was crowded, hardly an empty chair to find.

Was there something in the news a couple of months ago (this may happen every few years?) about 1/2 of the beach being emptied of chairs and being available for the general public free of charge. ? ? ? ?

... or is this similar to the structures off of Walking Street over the water being torn down? :-)

the lady who is doing my pedicure has gone to her home town so i went on tuesday to Jomtien Beach to have the job done. everything was crowded, hardly an empty chair to find.

It is very busy this year in Pattaya area? Some people say few tourists only

I drove along there last friday, maybe the ones near waterpark are full but the further you drive from there, there were only a few seats taken but personally I think it must be one of the worse businesses to be in at the moment.

1. Monthly rent for your area - depending on the area anything from Baht 8000 to Baht 20,000 (roughly) per month

2. Cost of beach chairs, tables etc

3. Beer, soft drink and whatever else you want to serve plus ice to keep all cold and not forgetting the cooler box.

4. It is a job reserved for Thais only

I have a mate from the UK who bought a plot opposite the end of soi 8 (Pattaya) for 1 million baht 5 years back................he has a Thai running it for him, seems to do ok (my mate not the Thai that is :o )

Dont know what his rent is ..................but its an ideal spot.

Was there something in the news a couple of months ago (this may happen every few years?) about 1/2 of the beach being emptied of chairs and being available for the general public free of charge. ? ? ? ?

... or is this similar to the structures off of Walking Street over the water being torn down? :-)

50% for public. That's the part where you'll find all the plastic bags, bottles, cans and garbeges. Where the chaisr are, sombody take care to clean the mess. Who gonna clean the "public side"

Not a business I'd like to be in, even if allowed. Cash all in Thai hands and no receipts and etc. You'd never sell a thing (or get the cash for it !).

Constant complaints from tourists of being ripped off for drinks, food and even the shoddy chairs themselves.

Years ago we looked at having some business on the beach and it was a non starter.