I am planning a round trip.

Bangkok by Train to Nong Khai

then to Vientane and Luang Prabang

then to Chiang Mai and Pai

and back to Bangkok.

Grateful for any Tips + Advice

for Travel from Vientiane to Luang Prabang

and from there to Chiang Mai + Pai.

Should we go to Pai first or thru Chiang Mai?

Thanks for ANY advice.

I plan to book Sleeper Train Berths to Nong Khai

- or does the Train from Bangkok go thru to Vientiane?

(we plan to have Laos Visas from their Embassy in Bangkok).

Thanks

Bill

There's no train from Vientienne to Luang Prabang (obviously :D ), so I believe you will have to book a seat in a minivan to make the journey. I've never done it because when I went, I drove my own car across. But I would think it is possible to book in Nong Khai. People there are quite geared up for tourists who want to visit Laos in general and Luang Prabang specifically. One of the many agents hanging around by the immigration office should be able to help.

Sorry, that's the only part of your journey I know anything about :o

I tok a bus from vientiane to luang prabang,long trip 9 hours but very scenic,about 600baht.i guess you could fly local laos airline.are you flying back to chang mai?

I was planning to go by Road ... unless the roads are very Bad.

Are you recommending Flying? (It would avoid any Visa on Arrival problems at the Border).

I tok a bus from vientiane to luang prabang,long trip 9 hours but very scenic,about 600baht.i guess you could fly local laos airline.are you flying back to chang mai?

Are you recommending Flying? (It would avoid any Visa on Arrival problems at the Border).

depends what visa you are getting in vientiane?from luang prabang i took a boat up to hua sai,fantastic trip took 2 days and travels up the mekong river,scenery brilliant,stayed 1 night in a small town called prakbang,then stayed overnight in hua sai before getting a long boat across the mekong back into thailand,can recommend doing it this way.

depends what visa you are getting in vientiane?from luang prabang i took a boat up to hua sai,fantastic trip took 2 days and travels up the mekong river,scenery brilliant,stayed 1 night in a small town called prakbang,then stayed overnight in hua sai before getting a long boat across the mekong back into thailand,can recommend doing it this way.

Hi SBC

That is something new to me

Looks very Interesting - thanks for the Tip.

So I looked it up in Lonely Planet.

It mentions some boats can be crowded

and recommends an Agent in Hua Sai for trips TO Luang Prabang.

Have you any suggestions for finding the better - less crowded - more seats boats

on the journey TO Hua Sai?

Not sure the implications of your Q about Visa in Vientiene??

I have Thai Retirement Visa + Re-entry Permit

But my 2 Indian Travel Companions will require Visa on Arrival in Chieng Khong

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

There's no train from Vientienne to Luang Prabang (obviously :D ), so I believe you will have to book a seat in a minivan to make the journey. I've never done it because when I went, I drove my own car across. But I would think it is possible to book in Nong Khai. People there are quite geared up for tourists who want to visit Laos in general and Luang Prabang specifically. One of the many agents hanging around by the immigration office should be able to help.

Sorry, that's the only part of your journey I know anything about :o

Hi wensiensheng

Many thanks for your very Prompt respose

visa side of things are fine,the boats are basic but you will all get a seat,its more of an adventure creature comforts are not part of it for example you will have to take your own food and drink on board but it is fun.the first day from luang prabang takes 9 hours to prakbang and the same again to hua sai.when you are in vientiane you can book the bus to luang prabang with any agent and they will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the bus,you get to LB about 6pm,there are many guest houses and hotels for around 600 baht a night upwards.LB is a beautiful place,used to be the old capital,easy to walk around or hire a bicycle,the town hugs the mekong river and is surrounded by mountains,gets cool at night.the 2 day boat trip takes you up th mekong and the scenery is beautiful,when you arrive at prakbang after day 1 on the boat you walk up the hill to th town,its only about 50 metres from the boat and is a 1 street town with guest houses and cafe's,and a few massage places,kosher ones as far as i remember.at the end of the second day you arrive at hua sai too late to cross over to thailand so stay the night there and cross over next day.you actually come into thailand north of chang rai which is 1 hour bus ride away.its an adventure and i can recommend it.LB is worth a stay of 2-3 days.

visa side of things are fine,the boats are basic but you will all get a seat,its more of an adventure creature comforts are not part of it for example you will have to take your own food and drink on board but it is fun.the first day from luang prabang takes 9 hours to prakbang and the same again to hua sai.when you are in vientiane you can book the bus to luang prabang with any agent and they will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the bus,you get to LB about 6pm,there are many guest houses and hotels for around 600 baht a night upwards.LB is a beautiful place,used to be the old capital,easy to walk around or hire a bicycle,the town hugs the mekong river and is surrounded by mountains,gets cool at night.the 2 day boat trip takes you up th mekong and the scenery is beautiful,when you arrive at prakbang after day 1 on the boat you walk up the hill to th town,its only about 50 metres from the boat and is a 1 street town with guest houses and cafe's,and a few massage places,kosher ones as far as i remember.at the end of the second day you arrive at hua sai too late to cross over to thailand so stay the night there and cross over next day.you actually come into thailand north of chang rai which is 1 hour bus ride away.its an adventure and i can recommend it.LB is worth a stay of 2-3 days.

Hi SBC

Many thanks for all the Details

Very Much Appreciated

Bill

I've done the bus ride on Highway 13 from Vientiane to Luang Phrabang a few times. Beautiful mountain panoramas in the part from Kasi to LP. 179313034_8bff308589.jpg

Many break the trip at Vang Vieng, which has become a big backpacker magnet, but also has some lovely hotels along the pristine mountain river.168776305_6a87993329.jpg

Edited by billp

Grateful for any Tips + Advice

for Travel from Vientiane to Luang Prabang

and from there to Chiang Mai + Pai.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, About 8 or so months ago I was in the area and found the following to be true then:

To get to Thailand from Luang Prabang most easily, (overland that is), was to take a bus or mini van from Luang Prabang up to Luang Nam Tha, (4 to 6 hours depending on vehicle and service), spend a confortable night there and then the next day take a bus to Huay Sai, (about 4 hours). At Huay Sai you exit Laos at their immigration post and take a ferry across the Mae Khong to Chiang Khong,Thailand, where you will now be given a 15 day permit of stay. The roads on the above described route were paved and in excellent shape when I did this earlier in 2008. I have also done the same trip in years past by slow boat, spending a night in route at Pak Beng. I found the road route to be easier on my body as the boats can sometimes be very crowded. Some people will prefere the boat trip, as it may be a more exciting type of journey, but as far as 'ease of travel' goes, I would say the road route is more sure. You could take a fast boat and do the entire trip from Luang Prabang to Huay Sai in one day, but those boats are extremely loud and reported to also be somewhat dangerous, (I have never taken one). The road route described above also has great scenery, (as does the boat route), and the Luang Nam Tha area is well worth exploring. siamiam

Going to Chiang Mai from Luang Prabang takes 1 hour on the plane. You should take this into consideration if you want the 30 day visa on arrival in Chiang Mai. Going the land route you only get 15 days.

Going up the river is supposed to be extremely nice so if you have the time go for it. If you need more than 15 days, get a proper Thai visa from the Thai embassy either at home (better!) or in Vientiane. You will get a 2 months tourist visa no problems. The 60 days would then start when you cross the land border.

I just came from Luang Prabang, it's probably the most beautiful city I have seen in Asia. It's also chock full of western tourists, but no wonder considering how pretty it is.

Going to Chiang Mai from Luang Prabang takes 1 hour on the plane. You should take this into consideration if you want the 30 day visa on arrival in Chiang Mai. Going the land route you only get 15 days.

Going up the river is supposed to be extremely nice so if you have the time go for it. If you need more than 15 days, get a proper Thai visa from the Thai embassy either at home (better!) or in Vientiane. You will get a 2 months tourist visa no problems. The 60 days would then start when you cross the land border.

I just came from Luang Prabang, it's probably the most beautiful city I have seen in Asia. It's also chock full of western tourists, but no wonder considering how pretty it is.

Hi Nikster

Thanks for your input

Would you say that Accomodation is a pproblem at this time in LP?

I expect to be there about 7th January

I dont need anything fancy(read expensive)

but neither do I want the cheapest guest house.

Clean Room with attached bathroom - are they hard to find in this Season?

Thanks

Bill