Residency Interview

Hi,

I have recently submitted my application for Thai residency in Bangkok and have an interview on March 1st. I was expecting to answer some basic questions in Thai. However, when submitting my application I was informed that everthing was in Thai, which means reading Thai. Does anyone have any experience of this?

What type of questions are asked? Is there anywhere I can go to get some lessons aimed towards the test?

Regards

Mike

Hi, Mike,

The interview will be in Thai, but the questions will be basic. Incidentally, this is not required by law...it is something which the Immigration Bureau has introduced using its own discretion! If you have any questions, you could contact Khun Supat Skonchai at Skonchai & Oliver Law Office. He is the leading expert in immigration and emploment laws, and related issues.

Robert

Hi,

I have recently submitted my application for Thai residency in Bangkok and have an interview on March 1st. I was expecting to answer some basic questions in Thai. However, when submitting my application I was informed that everthing was in Thai, which means reading Thai. Does anyone have any experience of this?

What type of questions are asked? Is there anywhere I can go to get some lessons aimed towards the test?

Regards

Mike

Hi,

Regards

Mike

What I heard from my lawyer this week is that there is a multiple choice, verbal test of Thai, but no reading. Other thaivisa.com members have mentioned giving an introduction of yourself in Thai too.

I did the interview earlier this year and recently got residency. The following is what happened in March this year, can't say if it will be the same in 2005.

There were 2 parts to the interview, firstly there are about 10 multiple choice questions, and then they record a video of you speaking Thai. No reading/writing Thai was required.

The first part: they say a Thai word and ask you to point to it from 4 picture options. For example a color, or a fruit, etc. I heard that they change the questions every year, but they follow a common theme something like colors, fruits, animals, simple objects, some questions about Thailand, etc.. I guess that if you can find a law firm that is processing lot's of PR's then they'll be able to prepare you better than I was.

The second part they video you speaking Thai, it's not as hard as it sounds. It's supposed to be an introduction to yourself, eg. name, age, nationality, place of birth, why you want residency, etc. I suggest that you sit down with a Thai friend and write it out in phonetics, then record a Thai person saying it, then after a week or two of learning it then record yourself saying it, get a Thai person to check it, then memorize it between now and March. It should be something like 1 to 3 minutes long.

I heard that they give you points when reviewing your application, like how long you've been here, your profession, if married to a Thai, salary, tax paid, ability to speak some Thai, etc., and so even if you don't do so well in the Thai language section you still have a chance, especially if there are less than 100 people of your nationality applying this year.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Edited by NotaNutter

if you're familiar with basic thai the "thai test" is no magic.

its a multiple choice and filmed presentation of yourself (which you can easily learn and prepare in advance)

show respect for the thai way of life and culture and you should be fine, no worries. but prepare yourself. after all you're living here, so some basic thai is kind of essential, isnt it.

but no reading or writing involved, its all oral.

Good luck!

I always say that my Thai is that of a two year old child, but that I am going to learn it better in my next life. Everybody appreciates it.

Everybody laughs, probabaly not about the meaning but about the miserable way I say it.

Hi,

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have also submitted my Thai residency this Dec 2004. My interview is fixed in March 7th. Hope to know more about this coming interview questions from this forum. Btw, I’m from Singapore, can speak fluent Thai but still cannot read and write, have been married for 10yrs with my Thai wife. We have 3 wonderful children together.

Please share. May we success together. :o

Thanks.