Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

Jake. if you intend doing some out of town riding(touring) then get the Kawasaki Ninja 250 (150,000). if on the other hand most of your riding is in town. Then look at the Honda Cbr150(69,000) or the Tiger 250 rs(72,000).

I have ridden all of the mentioned bikes and they are all fine bikes. The Cbr150 is a nimble, light bike with a sporty feel but is does need to be revved a bit to keep moving.

The Tiger 250 is pretty much the same but a little more touring feel, more long legged with a lot more midrange power than the Cbr (not so many gear changes). Some people will tell you that Tigers build quality is no good. Look for yourself and decide. I think it is ok, the Honda may be slightly better but look for yourself.

The Ninja has a very sporty feel(some people put on bar lifters)Likes to be revved and has a higher top speed than the other 2 bikes. is it worth twice as much possibly, it depends on how you ride and what you want it to do.

Hope this helps. Allan

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. I know the differences I'm just trying to make the smart purchase. I do appreciate the input though. I'd be using the bike to get around the city and to drive to Pattaya once or twice a month. Maybe some side trips but I have nothing planned.

I have my sights set on a 250R Special Edition but I'm trying to find ways to be cheap and finding transportation for 85k less is one option on the table. I know I'll also be changing the 250s exhaust and a few other things but I'd probably leave the CBR alone so In reality I'll probably be spending 110k more on the 250r.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a 250 SE though..the CBR looks like cheap transportation, the 250 looks like fun.

I'm looking to add a full exhaust system to my ninja, and the most popular ones seem to be Two Bros and Yoshimura. Any advice on which one to choose, and where to get it? Anyone know of a second hand one up for sale? Can it be carried in by air, or is it too big to take on a plane or in a suitcase?

Engrin. "Whats is the difference between the DBS and the AreaP?"

about 12,000baht :) . I think that for the 250 they will be similar in performance. It has been said that the AreaP was copied by some company in Thailand.............ummmmmmmm.

The AreaP is possibly better made. But not sure if over 12,000baht better made.

Engrin. "Whats is the difference between the DBS and the AreaP?"

about 12,000baht :) . I think that for the 250 they will be similar in performance. It has been said that the AreaP was copied by some company in Thailand.............ummmmmmmm.

The AreaP is possibly better made. But not sure if over 12,000baht better made.

250r_08_2_big.jpg

muf-nin2.jpg

You decide if they copied it. First is from Area-P's website; second is from Faddy's.....

Thanks to dave_boo for the service manual, now I'm going to give the oil a change at home(went to Rama 9 Kawa and apparently the service shop is only open weekdays). I've changed the oil on various cars and I'm assuming the Ninja is equally straightforward. My question are now:

1) What type of oil and filter do you guys recommend?

2) Where can I get them?

Thanks.

Thanks to dave_boo for the service manual, now I'm going to give the oil a change at home(went to Rama 9 Kawa and apparently the service shop is only open weekdays). I've changed the oil on various cars and I'm assuming the Ninja is equally straightforward. My question are now:

1) What type of oil and filter do you guys recommend?

2) Where can I get them?

Thanks.

Kawasaki recommends

Viscosity: SAE 10W - 40

Capacity: 1.3 L (1.4 US qt) (When filter is not removed)

1.6 L (1.7 US qt) (When filter is removed)

I've been letting the dealership take care of service, but if I was going to change it myself I'd use Shell partially synthetic because that's what I've always used. Filters can be obtained from Kawasaki.

90 MPH sounds slow for a 250 ???

EPG.

That's an actual 90 MPH. Indicated was ~99. And as I pointed out, there was still a little bit of breathing room; I ran out of space to keep going faster. And if you were to look over other 250s that's about what's in line with a stocker.

However, at 75 or 90 or 100 there's not going to be much difference if someone hits you!

I've cruised BKK-CNX-BKK on the little Ninja a couple of times now and with the throttle wide open the Ninjette scoots along at a respectable 170km/hr indicated. I understand the speedo is not terribly accurate however. With an aftermarket pipe and re-gearing I've read that the Ninja 250R can do 200km/hr or more.

Anyone out there know how i can get my "Indonesian" ninja 250r 2009 to exceed 140kh/hr and have a bit more grunt through the traffic, i was so disappointed with the performance when i first got it cuz i could not test drive it at the time. i put a R9 racing exhaust on it and it did have some improvement and plus it dose not sound like a sewing machine!! i am willing to spend some cash on it to get it up to speed, but i cant find anything except a Keihin FCR31 racing carb kit. not sure how much this would improve my slug ?? :)

Anyone out there know how i can get my "Indonesian" ninja 250r 2009 to exceed 140kh/hr and have a bit more grunt through the traffic, i was so disappointed with the performance when i first got it cuz i could not test drive it at the time. i put a R9 racing exhaust on it and it did have some improvement and plus it dose not sound like a sewing machine!! i am willing to spend some cash on it to get it up to speed, but i cant find anything except a Keihin FCR31 racing carb kit. not sure how much this would improve my slug ?? :)

Remove your front plate. Also remove any ancilliary items you may have and tuck in as tight as possible.

Have a mechanic pull of the exhaust and make sure that you don't have any obstructions. That's assuming that you only replaced the can and not the down pipes.

One thing you may consider is going with a rear sprocket with more teeth. Yes, you will sacrifice some fuel economy, but if you're struggling to reach redline in 6th and want more power in town that's the best way to go. It will depress your theoretical top speed slightly, but since you're not even reaching that don't worry about it.

It's odd that you can't exceed 140. I'm 100 kg and I've gotten to mid 150s GPS verified...

Remove your front plate. Also remove any ancilliary items you may have and tuck in as tight as possible.

Have a mechanic pull of the exhaust and make sure that you don't have any obstructions. That's assuming that you only replaced the can and not the down pipes.

One thing you may consider is going with a rear sprocket with more teeth. Yes, you will sacrifice some fuel economy, but if you're struggling to reach redline in 6th and want more power in town that's the best way to go. It will depress your theoretical top speed slightly, but since you're not even reaching that don't worry about it.

It's odd that you can't exceed 140. I'm 100 kg and I've gotten to mid 150s GPS verified...

To be honest with you i was looking at some major mod's i/e, carb, bigger bore, turbo, EFI even a different engine if need be anything that some one else has done and had positive results with!!, i use to have a kawasaki ninja 150r two stroke that would top 184km/hr and i could sit it on its back wheel in first second and third gear, i just dont get the lack of power for the 250 4. the only reason im looking in to expanding what i have is in Indonesia there is a limit of 250cc unless you pay 100% import duty on a bike you just cant do it. surly there is something out there i can get that works?? :D

To be honest with you i was looking at some major mod's i/e, carb, bigger bore, turbo, EFI even a different engine if need be anything that some one else has done and had positive results with!!, i use to have a kawasaki ninja 150r two stroke that would top 184km/hr and i could sit it on its back wheel in first second and third gear, i just dont get the lack of power for the 250 4. the only reason im looking in to expanding what i have is in Indonesia there is a limit of 250cc unless you pay 100% import duty on a bike you just cant do it. surly there is something out there i can get that works?? :D

Well Daniel. Part of the problem is that the Ninja is a 250 twin not a four (it only has about 30hp). All the Thai Ninja's are FI. So you might find more info on the American sites (US Ninja's are carbed). The Carbed Ninja is also very lean from the factory so if you have put a pipe on it but not rejetted then it will be way lean now (very bad for the engine). Why don't you talk to the guys that made your exhaust they have a Dyno and extensive experience in working on the Carbed Ninja. They have airfilters and rejet kits available. I just cannot remember their name at the moment. Just found it here you are .

http://www.sportisimotorsport.com/products.php

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

90 MPH sounds slow for a 250 ???

EPG.

That's an actual 90 MPH. Indicated was ~99. And as I pointed out, there was still a little bit of breathing room; I ran out of space to keep going faster. And if you were to look over other 250s that's about what's in line with a stocker.

However, at 75 or 90 or 100 there's not going to be much difference if someone hits you!

I've cruised BKK-CNX-BKK on the little Ninja a couple of times now and with the throttle wide open the Ninjette scoots along at a respectable 170km/hr indicated. I understand the speedo is not terribly accurate however. With an aftermarket pipe and re-gearing I've read that the Ninja 250R can do 200km/hr or more.

There's something wrong with your Ninjette if she'll only do 140km/hr... First thing I'd do is check compression to make sure you engine is ok.

Understand you've got the carbed Ninjette, same as USA, right?

There are folks in the US reaching 100mph (160km/hr) on stock Ninjettes so you should be able to at least reach that.

With major mods they've had the carbed Ninja up to 111mph: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kawasaki-Nin...al-t248352.html

Ride On!

Tony

• 1 month later...
The 250 thread fell all the way to page 8 :)

I picked up a 2010 Green SE a few weeks ago and I've been enjoying the ride. Did anyone else grab a 2010?

Well, I was going to wait and post this, but since you've brought the thread to the front page...

I finally got the 85kg/mm springs in my forks. Wow is an understatement. The vague mushiness that was the front end is gone. It tracks exactly where I point it with out wallowing around like a 70 kilo bargirl on a pole. It does however really illustrate just how soft the rear shock is; that's up for fixing next.

Best 99.95 USD that you can spend on it (at least thus far).

Also had HEL lines installed, nice and linear action, the brakes work without getting spongy toward the end.

I finally got the 85kg/mm springs in my forks. Wow is an understatement. The vague mushiness that was the front end is gone. It tracks exactly where I point it with out wallowing around like a 70 kilo bargirl on a pole. It does however really illustrate just how soft the rear shock is; that's up for fixing next.

Also had HEL lines installed, nice and linear action, the brakes work without getting spongy toward the end.

Good job Dave! Nice of you to give the old girl some sturdy legs to carry your big butt around- even 70 kilo bar girls have their limits! :)

What did you end up doing with the paint? Pics?

Ride On!

Tony

Good job Dave! Nice of you to give the old girl some sturdy legs to carry your big butt around- even 70 kilo bar girls have their limits! :)

What did you end up doing with the paint? Pics?

Ride On!

Tony

Well, I just tell them I'm not fat, it's the fuel tank for my sex machine. Also fat bar girls are more fun; they Don't get it as often and are more enthusiastic when they do. Errh, so I've been told. The Monster decals will go on in the next day or two, wanted to take care of the other stuff first (I am not a ricer).

Well, I just tell them I'm not fat, it's the fuel tank for my sex machine. Also fat bar girls are more fun; they Don't get it as often and are more enthusiastic when they do. Errh, so I've been told. The Monster decals will go on in the next day or two, wanted to take care of the other stuff first (I am not a ricer).

Ha ha ha! Classic! :D:D:)

What's a ricer? :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Ah ha ha!!! I just looked up "ricer" :)

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car/motorcycle (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.

Most of these apply to cars, but still dam_n funny-

You Might Be A Ricer If… You have more exhaust decibels than your engine has horsepower. <li>You have aftermarket FRONT wheels for racing but stock rear wheels. <li>Your engine makes twice as much horsepower as torque. <li>17" rims up front, 13" out back on your FWD. <li>You ever painted your wheels to match the same color of your car. <li>You put your automatic car in neutral at every stoplight in order to roll it back and try to fool other people into thinking you have a manual transmission <li>DuPont gave up trying to figure out the shade you were asking for. <li>Your mod list includes stereo equipment, shifter handle, MOMO steering wheel, PIA driving lights, exhaust tip, but no REAL engine parts. <li>A chameleon lizard undergoes fewer shade changes than your custom paint scheme. <li>Your rims and tires are so large, that you have to install the tire / wheel from underneath the car because it simply won't fit in the wheel well going in from the side. <li>The dealer laughs when you bring your car back in for service under warranty, and you've only had it 6 months... <li>Your tires / rims stick out from the lip of your car by more than 1." <li>Your paint job is from the WRONG end of the color spectrum. <li>You installed spacers on your STOCK wheels and tires to get them to stick out past the fender. <li>You see cars like yours in a Shriner's Parade for Children and clowns are driving them. <li>You bring an empty Maxwell House coffee can with you to compare size when you shop for an aftermarket exhaust system. <li>Your Eclipse GS-T hardtop has a "SPYDER" emblem on the rear... <li>Your sum knowledge of suspension is: "the more negative camber, the better the handling." <li>You push your car through the staging lanes. That way, maybe you can break into the 16s by keeping the motor cool between runs. <li>You add a super tall rear wing, and a hundred pounds of aftermarket ground effects, neon and stereo yet you gut the interior and yank out the rear seat for weight savings. <li>Your rear wing AND your rear window have a third mount brake light... <li>The back lighting in the gauges in your A-pillar gauge pod work long before the actual gauges are hooked up. <li>You cut 4 coil springs and scrape the chassis on the ground. Sparks are cool when you corner at normal traffic speeds! <li>You have to find a way to drive AROUND speed bumps in a parking lot. <li>You install clear corner and brake lights. <li>You install colored bulbs in your aftermarket clear lenses. <li>You ever put neon on the bottom of your car, and then busted it on the first speed bump you went over. <li>You painted the UNDERBODY of your car to match <li>If your rear spoiler is taller then you are. <li>if you can fit fist fuc_k your exhaust tip <li>You have more stereo WATTS than engine TORQUE! <li>If your tailpipe extension is the most expensive mod you’ve done to your engine yet. <li>Your tailpipe extension fell off during a quarter mile race and you went three tenths of a second faster due to weight savings. <li>EVERY car in your class has a turbo pushing double digits worth of boost. <li>You spent $5,000 on the engine and you can not out run a stock Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang <li>You want the 'wastegate' sound, but don't want to install a turbocharger system. <li>You think Nitrous Oxide on your Hyundai Sonata puts you in the same performance league as the Chevy Corvette. <li>The automatic version of your car runs 2 seconds slower in the 1/4mile. <li>If the 1970 Plymouth Daytona Superbird has a smaller spoiler than your car does. <li>You think the Del Sol is a sports car... <li>A torque converter does NOTHING for your car. <li>You think a deep farty noise = the sound of high performance <li>If you think that horsepower is far more important than torque <li>If you have ever claimed that switching to a cone filter has given you more than 5 HP. <li>If you have ever considered installing more than one set of fog / driving lights. <li>If you claim that the aftermarket cold air intake system you just installed doubled your horsepower or took 2 or more seconds off of your E/T.

• Your baseball cap is always on backwards when you drive (the first sign of mental retardation, wearing your clothes backwards... BE).
  • You spent all night on the Internet trying to find a company that makes a turbocharger system for your Hyundai...
  • If you removed your side view mirrors and put them at the TOP of the door / window frame.
  • If you think the Fugees are 'speed' music.
  • MOMO is 'absolutely required' to go fast.
  • Your four cylinder has a dual exhaust system installed.
  • Your four cylinder has four exhaust pipes ("Hey, one for each cylinder!")
  • The color of your interior upholstery hurts the cones and rods in other people's eyes.
  • If you cannot drive your car in snow as the ground effects create a plow effect.
  • If you have installed driving lights to compensate for headlight blackouts / tape.
  • If you think that 180 horsepower and 185 lb/ft of torque are impressive for a ‘mildly’ modified engine.
  • If you have stickers on your car for parts that you could not point out if asked where those parts are installed.
  • You think pushrods are a bad thing…
  • Your car has more decals than you do the quarter in seconds.
  • Every Honda you EVER owned, all the way back to your 1978 Accord was either a V-Tec or a TYPE-R.
  • You took your rear seat out and gutted your interior for weight savings but you installed 400 pounds of electronics, neon, DVD, Sony, etc.
  • If you gutted the interior to save weight on a car that you will never take to the track…
  • You lean your seat so far back when you are driving, that every time you hit a bump, its your back and not your butt that hurts.
  • You have hydraulics and sixteen switches on a car you claim runs low 10s on the street and corners better than a Porsche.
  • If you can estimate that your car makes more than 250 HP without ever running it at the track or getting a dyno reading.
  • You claim that you can get a titanium block for your engine.
  • If you have ever thought Hyundai and "performance" went hand in hand
  • If you've ever gone to a parts shop or speed warehouse and asked for a 1" to 6" exhaust adapter...
  • If you've ever contemplated adding "TYPE-R" stickers to your Sonata…
  • If you've removed more than 1/2 of the coils from your springs by cutting them yourself ...
  • If you have more neon lights on your car than a strip club...
  • You put Kanji on your Ford ZX2, Ford Probe, or Mercury Cougar ...
  • You own a "TYPE-R" Hyundai or Mazda.
  • You couldn't afford headlight masking, so you just painted them with flat black Krylon and it's peeling. Badly.
  • You claim that polishing your intake gave you 5hp.
  • You own a V-TEC Hyundai or Mazda (especially a V-TEC rotary engined Mazda RX-7)
  • You have neon INSIDE your car or in your ENGINE compartment
  • You ever claimed that high gas mileage made your car superior in performance to V8s.
  • If it takes you 8000rpm to reach 30mph from a dead stop at WOT.
  • You think yellow plastic interior trim makes your car cool
  • You spend $500 for a giant hand welded tube for a muffler with the weld marks extremely visible
  • If you paint your drum brakes to simulate Hi-po calipers
  • If you install fake hi-po caliper / disc simulators
  • You have a front wing.
  • If you lower your car and add ground effects but retain the stock 14inch wheels with disc style wheel covers
  • If you equate the sound of performance with the sound of a Weed Eater™
  • If you think bolting a fake muffler to one side to simulate dual exhaust is cool
  • If you think colored head lights work better
  • Clear tail lights and turn signals. They’re colored for a REASON!
  • If you take mom's 4 door Honda accord and do any kind of mod to it
  • You drive a Ford Escort station wagon with Kanji, wide tires, and Limp Bizkit stickers on the rear hatch
  • You claim you lost the race because you had a passenger in the car.
  • You claim how if you went from a roll you would have beat him.
  • You claim you lost because you missed a shift... and your car is an automatic.
  • You claim you lost because he must have been on the juice..
  • Flying past the person who is 10 car lengths in front of you after they have put on their brakes.. and claim a victory.
  • after losing you flip your opponent off... rev your motor and fail to break the wheels loose even around a corner.
  • Tell everyone about how you lost the cop because of your "driving skills."
  • you are a white kid driving an import.. wear baggy pants/hat turned around, walk with a fake limp and end every sentence with "yew know wha I'm sayin? Relate."
  • Your idea of aiming a handgun is raising your arm over your head, pointing the gun away from you, and then just letting your wrist fall to the side to where the gun is almost sideways ...
  • drive around in a $20,000 import with $10,000 in mods.. and still live with your parents.
  • You can relate to every line of the song "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" by the Offspring
  • you take offense when I say.. "your sister is like your car.. small, tight and hard to get into."
  • You are a skinny, backwards hat wearing, dog chain wallet, 2 ft wide pants leg, Limp Bizkit looking white boy fag with a badly applied peroxide hair color treatment and temporary rub-on tattoos!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up. With my 100 kilo(ish) weight, I've got the Ninja up to 156 km/h (96,93 MPH), GPS verified--totally flat out on the Nakhon Sawan bypass. Also, the speedo is some 7% optimistic; i.e. I pegged it at 100 and it was reading 93 on the GPS. Finally, I did 353,7 kilometers on 14,11 liters of benzine gaow-sip-ningun (filled to the exact same spot) and thus averaged 25,07 km/L or 3,99 L/100 km.

Is this the fastest the Ninja 250 can go? That's kinda disappointing with the 144k baht price tag.

A 20k baht two stroke can keep up with that.

I doubt the two stroke would ride as comfortable as the ninja. (no i have never ridden on one but i assume it would be a smoother ride)

Is this the fastest the Ninja 250 can go? That's kinda disappointing with the 144k baht price tag.

A 20k baht two stroke can keep up with that.

I'm sure an old 2t could keep up. But with a 'plus' sized rider on it? And remember, that's a real 156; speedo would be reading some 167. Plus there's the safety factor; do you feel lucky punk is all I could think about getting one of those 'pristine' examples of a bike up to similar speeds.

You'd be surprised how stable an NSR 150 is once you drop the front end an inch or two. The newer NSR RRW's are even more stable than the RR do to a longer wheelbase.

I took a ride on a yamaha TZM 150 today, comparing it to my NSR, and I must say the yamaha feels much more stable. May have to make a switch here sometime soon. The yamaha feels more purpose built for higher speeds.

I don't want to threadjack, so thats all.

This is interesting I just looked up the wheelbase of both bikes and the proarm is actually 20 mm longer than the ninjette. 1335mm vs 1355mm...anyone want to double check? The info isn't the same for every site I checked

Edited by Powerband