What's A Good Substitute For Teak

GungaDin

Rehashed teak (furniture) is very expensive.

What is a sustainable wood for custom made furniture which can be stained to match existing furniture.?

(in Thailand)

Rubberwood (Parawood) is in abundant supply in Thailand and readily takes a stain. It's a less dense wood than teak and shouldn't be used for the outdoors. Eucalyptus is probably the closest substitute to Teak but must be imported and I'm not sure that smaller custom furniture makers would have access to sources.

What is a sustainable wood for custom made furniture which can be stained to match existing furniture.?

(in Thailand)

Up country where I'm at, the most common tree for construction, furniture, etc., is called "mai-suk" (with all apologies for transliterated spelling). There are large expanses of land with these trees growing on them. The main thing with this tree appears to be that it is a very strong wood and it grows tall and straight, yielding very good quality lumber. It is light in color and typically stained in finished form.

Edited by Spee

Thanks Spee.

What is your nearest large town?

Interesting name "Mai-suk", I'm sure I've heard it mentioned before. :o

edit: Dumb question........ there is no large town.

You really are in a remote area. :D

Edited by GungaDin

(in Thailand)

Up country where I'm at, the most common tree for construction, furniture, etc., is called "mai-suk" (with all apologies for transliterated spelling). There are large expanses of land with these trees growing on them. The main thing with this tree appears to be that it is a very strong wood and it grows tall and straight, yielding very good quality lumber. It is light in color and typically stained in finished form.

I thought "mai suk" is the transliteration for teak which is ไม้สัก in Thai? With very large broad leaves about 8-12 inches in width?

A few questions if you don't mind.

What size of wood do you need to make the furniture you want ? Para or Mai Yang is rubber wood and is not readily available in larger than 2x4 inch sizes. Eucalyptus as well. both of these are subject to be eaten by termites and the flying beetles that eat the wood here.

If you truly do not want teak then Mai Daeng or Mai Padoo is the best as far as insect proof but is is subject to twisting if it is not dried properly.

Mai Sak is teak as was already pointed out. Teak will be eaten by termites if there are no other woods around but i have never seen any insects attack the Mai Daeng.

A few questions if you don't mind.

What size of wood do you need to make the furniture you want ? Para or Mai Yang is rubber wood and is not readily available in larger than 2x4 inch sizes. Eucalyptus as well. both of these are subject to be eaten by termites and the flying beetles that eat the wood here.

If you truly do not want teak then Mai Daeng or Mai Padoo is the best as far as insect proof but is is subject to twisting if it is not dried properly.

Mai Sak is teak as was already pointed out. Teak will be eaten by termites if there are no other woods around but i have never seen any insects attack the Mai Daeng.

Cheers WM.

I'd start the chippy off with a simple bookcase with sliding glass panels & take it from there.

Mai Daeng, sounds good.

'Xylia xylocarpa var. kerrii' ...... The dark red-brown, hard and durable wood is termite

resistant and can be used for heavy constructions,

furniture, boats, railway sleepers, carving and household

implements.

http://www.nafri.org.la/documents/NTFPNews...a_xylocarpa.pdf

Eucalyptus is a def non starter. I'm still looking for Mai Pradoo :o

Many thanks for all the replies & esp thanks to Dotcom

Edited by GungaDin

(in Thailand)

I thought "mai suk" is the transliteration for teak which is ไม้สัก in Thai? With very large broad leaves about 8-12 inches in width?

According to www.thai-language.com, you are correct-o-mundo!