Fixing An Ipod In Pattaya

jimmybkk

My ipod has been playing up for a while now - keeps freezing for no apparent reason. I've tried re-formatting it but the problem persists. I took it to the Apple shop at The Avenue and they sent it to Bangkok and told me it would cost over 6,000 Baht to fix it. <deleted>? It's a 2-year old 30 gig ipod. I can buy a new 80 gig one for 6,500 Baht and for 9,000 I could buy a new ipod touch.

Does anyone know of any computer shops in Pattaya that can also fix ipods? I'm no IT guy but I'm guessing inside is basically just a hard drive, so does it require any special knowledge/skills to fix it?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

You may want to try TukCom. 3rd Floor (?), same as the computer hardware I believe. Small side shop near the escalators.

I had a similar problem. Turned out it was the battery. I had a butt-load of files on the iPod I didn't want to lose (I use it more as a 4gb memory stick than for music).

They fixed it up in a day, but I can't recall the cost. Maybe 2k ? I was so relieved I didn't worry about the price though.

Thanks Kerry - I'm not so worried about the songs coz I've got them all backed up on my pc. Just don't wanna spend the cost of a new (better) one on fixing my old one. I can live with 2K - but over 6K's just daft. I'll see if I can find the shop you suggested in Tuk Com. Cheers.

Thanks Kerry - I'm not so worried about the songs coz I've got them all backed up on my pc. Just don't wanna spend the cost of a new (better) one on fixing my old one. I can live with 2K - but over 6K's just daft. I'll see if I can find the shop you suggested in Tuk Com. Cheers.

most problems i have known are usually with the battery if you can source one locally then you could try repairing it yourself, the last one i did was the battery and i did a very earlier one before that by re-setting the i-pod by shorting the battery for a few seconds and that re-set it,

of course if the drive is screwed then a new 2.5" drive should sort it out they are a load of videos on youtube to help repair these units look here:

but you do need to be resonably technically minded or have some experience with computers and can follow instructions

screw paying 6k for a repair

you could try resetting the unit, a hard format (reset) might cure the problem 1st then to try the battery next

Edited by Nouf

The freezing may be a defect in the hard drive, much as if your PC hits a bad sector and simply locks.

You might try fixing it yourself by putting itnto disk mode then running Norton Disk Doctor or another disk repair program on it. Then restore the software and reload your music.

The iPod is a hard dive with software. If you have restored your iPod, then software has been restored. If the problem persists, its likely a physical defect that cannot be repaired.

Apple design these things to last forever. Average life of a well-used Pod is 18-24 months. Better just to buy a new one.

Edited by Aquanauts