The Word Grumpy

popmybubble

Is there a Thai word or expression for the English word grumpy? I always think of grumpy as almost affectionate.

[/quote

Grumpy adj. Morosely Irritable. Morose adj. sullen and ill tempered.

Is that the sort of affectionate meaning you have in mind?

I don't know what it is in Thai, but I give the English just to avoid confusion and endless discussion.

Is there a Thai word or expression for the English word grumpy? I always think of grumpy as almost affectionate.

Bubble,

"Grumpy" as famously portrayed by one of the Seven Dwarfs in Disney's "Snow White". Perhaps this is what you are trying to convey with the notion of "affectionate". Another word is "curmudgeon" but with the word "lovable, old" as leading words. Also used from time to time in literature is ". . . under that dark, grumpy, uninviting exterior lies a kindly heart."

For "grumpy", Domnern Sathienpong has "หน้าบึ้ง" as an adjective; Lexitron's definition of "หน้าบึ้ง" is "หน้าตาไม่ยิ้มแย้มแจ่มใส" ("with an unsmiling, unwelcoming countenance"). That describes the downside but not the lovable upside.

There is also this from Lexitron: "หน้าบูดบึ้ง [ADJ] sour; sulky; sullen".

Remember the movie "Grumpy Old Men"? Walter Matthau was the perfect character! Maybe others can give you a better Thai equivalent.

Edited by DavidHouston