Where To Buy House In Chiang Mai?

My thai girl and I have been talking about moving up to Chiang Mai, and I would like to ask you where is the the best location to bye a house? I want it to be close to downtown, but still it has to be a quiet secured village. I ask because I just dont now where Hang Dong, Doi Saket and Bo Sang is, so can you help?

Take a look here:http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate/houses-for-sale/classified-chiang-mai.html

Hang Dong is close to town, a suburb. Doi Sakhet is much further from town. Bo Sang is about halfway out to Doi Sakhet.

Another point about housing is that a moobaan like the largest Koolpunt Village can have a thousand homes, and another moobaan may only have 12 homes. The upkeep of the moobaan varies, amenities come and go. Our community pool has been empty for years.

Chiang Mai is huge, with countless locations.

Best you come up and stay awhile to get the lay of the land and compare various moobaans...one thing to be mindful of is the price they are asking for the raw land that your home will be built on (unless you buy a resale home). Some land prices can be exorbitant...THB 15,000 per square wah and more. THB 10,000 or so would be about right, but the location is obviously a factor here. Also:

1. How old is the village and what is the state of repair of the water mains? You can find out by talking to the residents. Some older moobaans continually have outages while the city comes in to make the excavation and apply a PVC patch to the older concrete mains. If your water tank supply is miniscule, you may run out of water on a frequent basis. Make sure you have enough tankage...2,000 litres is minimum and 5,000 would be a lot better. You can run cross feeds between multiple tanks and a pump to run the water into the house. If you prefer the builder can install an underground cistern and reduce the clutter around your home.

2. Check for water filtration systems...many moobaan homes ignore it or owners add them after the sale. Chiang Mai water is pretty good and tested regularly, but I like knowing my water is really clean.

3. Water heaters: do you wish to have hot water at the taps or not? The majority of Thai homes simply run cold water but you could add a hot water line at selected taps by using modular heaters and running new copper or stainless pipes. If you want to operate an automatic clothes washer, you'll probably need to add a hot water source and an arrangement to drain water from the machine. Thai homes aren't set up for this convenience that we take for granted in the West.

4. Drainage...check the lot during the rainy season if possible...ask around to see where flooding occurs, if at all. During long rainy spells, city sewers can overflow and water can rise over the street curbs. Check this out carefully.

5. Electrical plugs and electrical system: is the latter 2 or 3-phase? are there double prong or triple prong outlets? The cheaper two-prong outlets are crap and you will have trouble with cords not staying firmly plugged in. When there are power outages, how long does it take to get service restored? This is a function of your moobaan's management and reflects their interest and influence with municipal utilities. If you plan to operate a clothes dryer and/or many large appliances, 3-phase is mandatory.

6. Inspect all air conditioners...some may be ready to replace depending on their age.

7. What services does the moobaan provide (trash collection, maintenance of common areas, clubhouse/pool, gym etc. Physically eyeball these and ask your would-be neighbors for their thoughts.

8. Distance and time to hospitals, food stores, gas stations and such.

9. Is high-speed ADSL service available through your telephone line or not? TTT is arguably the better and more reliable provider. Some locations are limited in bandwidth speed due to not being modernized yet. Check this out carefully and be sure before you buy.

10. Many local moobaans have tiny, barely-equipped kitchens. Many have a simple propane stove and no range or oven. If you want to add these conveniences later, make sure there is room and adequate electrical supply to the home.

11. Consider finding a home or building a new home that has a Thai kitchen and a covered maid's work area.

12. Check to see that your automobile will be completely overed when parked under the carport. Many cheaper homes have not built much of a covered garage, and in many cases, the rear third of your car will jut out and get rained on. There are companies here that specialize in building awnings that can extend a carport, or provide shade and rain run-off for the windows.

13. Check the fit and serviceability of all windows, window frames and screens (don't be surprised if many homes have no screens at all). Older wooden frames will show sun-rot and warping. The hardware that holds wooden windows open is generally of poor quality and you'll find many of these broken and useless. Consider upgrading to PVC window frames. They are worth the price.

14. Check the gap between the overhanging roof tiles and the eave...bats love to slip under the tiles--the space they need to do so is incredibly small--and they not only can make a racket but the smell from their feces can be overwhelming. In many homes, these bat feces eventually fall through cracks in gypsum ceilings and become a health concern. If you stand in the yard at dusk, you can generally detect bats flying around and roosting in your roof. To correct these gaps, a contractor can add folded chicken wire and stuff it in the crack to prevent bats from entering.

This is an elementary list, but you can probably think of dozens of items to add to it. Above all, don't take anything for granted. Murphy's Law applies here...if something can go wrong it will and guess who gets to pay for it!

Good luck!

Edited by Fore Man

Best you come up and stay awhile to get the lay of the land and compare various moobaans...one thing to be mindful of is the price they are asking for the raw land that your home will be built on (unless you buy a resale home). Some land prices can be exorbitant...THB 15,000 per square wah and more. THB 10,000 or so would be about right, but the location is obviously a factor here. Also:

1. How old is the village and what is the state of repair of the water mains? You can find out by talking to the residents. Some older moobaans continually have outages while the city comes in to make the excavation and apply a PVC patch to the older concrete mains. If your water tank supply is miniscule, you may run out of water on a frequent basis. Make sure you have enough tankage...2,000 litres is minimum and 5,000 would be a lot better. You can run cross feeds between multiple tanks and a pump to run the water into the house. If you prefer the builder can install an underground cistern and reduce the clutter around your home.

2. Check for water filtration systems...many moobaan homes ignore it or owners add them after the sale. Chiang Mai water is pretty good and tested regularly, but I like knowing my water is really clean.

3. Water heaters: do you wish to have hot water at the taps or not? The majority of Thai homes simply run cold water but you could add a hot water line at selected taps by using modular heaters and running new copper or stainless pipes. If you want to operate an automatic clothes washer, you'll probably need to add a hot water source and an arrangement to drain water from the machine. Thai homes aren't set up for this convenience that we take for granted in the West.

4. Drainage...check the lot during the rainy season if possible...ask around to see where flooding occurs, if at all. During long rainy spells, city sewers can overflow and water can rise over the street curbs. Check this out carefully.

5. Electrical plugs and electrical system: is the latter 2 or 3-phase? are there double prong or triple prong outlets? The cheaper two-prong outlets are crap and you will have trouble with cords not staying firmly plugged in. When there are power outages, how long does it take to get service restored? This is a function of your moobaan's management and reflects their interest and influence with municipal utilities. If you plan to operate a clothes dryer and/or many large appliances, 3-phase is mandatory.

6. Inspect all air conditioners...some may be ready to replace depending on their age.

7. What services does the moobaan provide (trash collection, maintenance of common areas, clubhouse/pool, gym etc. Physically eyeball these and ask your would-be neighbors for their thoughts.

8. Distance and time to hospitals, food stores, gas stations and such.

9. Is high-speed ADSL service available through your telephone line or not? TTT is arguably the better and more reliable provider. Some locations are limited in bandwidth speed due to not being modernized yet. Check this out carefully and be sure before you buy.

10. Many local moobaans have tiny, barely-equipped kitchens. Many have a simple propane stove and no range or oven. If you want to add these conveniences later, make sure there is room and adequate electrical supply to the home.

11. Consider finding a home or building a new home that has a Thai kitchen and a covered maid's work area.

12. Check to see that your automobile will be completely overed when parked under the carport. Many cheaper homes have not built much of a covered garage, and in many cases, the rear third of your car will jut out and get rained on. There are companies here that specialize in building awnings that can extend a carport, or provide shade and rain run-off for the windows.

13. Check the fit and serviceability of all windows, window frames and screens (don't be surprised if many homes have no screens at all). Older wooden frames will show sun-rot and warping. The hardware that holds wooden windows open is generally of poor quality and you'll find many of these broken and useless.

This is an elementary list, but you can probably think of dozens of items to add to it. Above all, don't take anything for granted.

Pretty much agree with all the above, maybe 98%, but I would also certainly recommend a long stay here [ even come and rent for 6 months--if saving money is a priority] with your Thai GF and visit the moobahns that appeal to you and take a walk/bike ride, or whatever, as many houses are now available but not advertised and I have heard of several couples getting some very good deals by going directly to the vendor after being informed by friendly neighbours or others--buying properties at significantly less than the exorbitant moobahn land price--[12,000--15,000/Talang Wah.]

Needless to say--I would try to avoid agents, Thai or Farang, as much as possible--even go to moobahn sales office and, with the depressed market, even they are offering quite good deals--Koolapunt 9, Hang Dong, 3 bedroom, 2/3 bath, 50-65 Talang Wah, about 2 million baht--brand new.

My thai girl and I have been talking about moving up to Chiang Mai, and I would like to ask you where is the the best location to bye a house? I want it to be close to downtown, but still it has to be a quiet secured village. I ask because I just dont now where Hang Dong, Doi Saket and Bo Sang is, so can you help?

Take a look here:http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate/houses-for-sale/classified-chiang-mai.html

My thai wife and I live in San Sai where we built our home about 18 months ago in a new village. San sai is well located and about 10 minutes from everything city major shoppping centres. Also she works for a local real estate agent (Jasmine Homes) which is owned and operated by an english guy. So I am sure if you have any questions she should be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

My thai wife and I live in San Sai where we built our home about 18 months ago in a new village. San sai is well located and about 10 minutes from everything city major shoppping centres. Also she works for a local real estate agent (Jasmine Homes) which is owned and operated by an english guy. So I am sure if you have any questions she should be able to help.

Hi,

Just a short message to you and I really do not want to be too business but I just think my website might help you out by map location - just have a look at ( eliteproperty.co.th ) and go to map search. If there is any question then you are very welcome for helping.

Good Luck,