Thaksin Believe To Win Next General Election

george

PM believe to win next general election

SAKON NAKHON: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra expressed his confidence today that his ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party would win the next general election, scheduled for 6 February.

The prime minister told journalists when helping his party's candidates launch election campaign in Thailand's northeastern province of Sakon Nakhon that he believed voters would support his TRT Party, particularly those in the Northeast. where people appear to be confident in the TRT.

"Voters know well that I work hard and has had good performance, but I am not good at being the opposition; so, I believe voters will support my TRT Party because they don't want me to become the opposition leader", he said.

"I'll also tell the voters that they should elect TRT candidates in both the party-list and the constituency-based systems to ensure that the TRT Party will win the next general election. If they elect TRT candidates in the party-list system, but vote for candidates of other politicial parties in the constituency-based system, TRT will become the opposition, which I believe they don't want", he added.

Candidates of other political parties have reportedly urged people to vote for TRT candidates only in the party-list system.

The prime minister also warned all TRT candidates to work hard and make field visits to people in their respective constituencies regularly, or they would be withdrawn from the election race if they failed to pass his final evaluations.

--TNA 2004-12-25

PM believe to win next general election

SAKON NAKHON: -- "Voters know well that I work hard and has had good performance, but I am not good at being the opposition; so, I believe voters will support my TRT Party because they don't want me to become the opposition leader", he said.

--TNA 2004-12-25

He means " I have no interest whatsoever in being a powerless out of the spotlight opposition leader" :o

Here's my prediction: Thaksin and the TRT still have enough momentum to win the next election, but they probably won't win the overwhelming majority they want.

The TRT is a personality cult party, not a real ideological party. They seem to be organized around three things: 1) A charismatic leader (Thaksin) 2) Jingoistic Nationalism 3) Populist programs such as the village loans. These three things have lead to considerable short term success, but their flaws are starting to show. Thaksin's authoritarian style and blatent corruption will eventually create a host of enemies. The village loan scheme is a time bomb that is putting poor Thais ever deeper into debt. The TRT's lack of a real underlying ideology is already leading to confusing and inconsistant policies and may eventually lead to the fragmentation of the party.

The TRT has probably already peaked in terms of popularity and power, Thais are just looking for a viable alternative.

TH and Toxin are currently nearly the only supporter for the USA. So they will allow some movement to gain the next election. The real crux will come after that. The promised spending spree will be beneficial to a lot of party croonies and less to the population. Then it will start hitting (time frame : about 1 yr)

Many Asean countries are a bit fed up whit his antics too and alternative "leaders" are being pushed. (Indo and Malay)

Big Cousin PRC is not too pleased with him to, but keeps it quiet for as long as they can get their products in as agreed per the FTA. I hurts the Thai farmes up norht but it benefits the croonies.

I'm not even talking about the South where they like to have him for breakfast.

How long you think he would last?

So the Thaksin Rak Thaksin (TRT)party will come in again, when will they learn to read the signs from the spirits? When the TRT came in there came the bird flu, southern violence, and the last great warning a Tsunami!

Edited by Dove