Moo Baan Wants Us To Pay Them For Them Not Building A House!

Bump! They've been on the phone again. Apparently it's for wear and tear to the

private moo baan infrastructure! and 'free' water.

david

So if they build the house there will not be any wear and tear? Do they have "magic equipment" that this outside builder does not?

Does the outside builder's equipment use ore water than the Moo Baan's builder and that's why there should be additional fees for water usage?

Does this mean that you will not need to pay any water bills while the house is being constructed?

I am beginning the process of looking for a house, but the more I hear about Moo Baans the less I want to live in one.

I am beginning the process of looking for a house, but the more I hear about Moo Baans the less I want to live in one.

I know plenty of people who live in Moo Baans and never have to cause to complain. Actually I'm one of them, I'm very happy living in a Moo Baan and find it difficult to consider living in a condo.

In the US, when you build a house, the State DOT soaks you for permit fees to put a driveway in off their road....the County soaks you for building permits, review fees, inspections, etc before they will let you live in your house. All really amount to nothing in terms of real work to them. It's just free revenue and it usually runs much more than the figure we are talking about here.

So what you say is that a neighbor scamming you is not too bad, because in other countries the governments do it.

I hope you survive too.

No...That's what you say. I don't enjoy getting charged unnecessary (imo) fees either. It just wouldn't strike me as unusual if they did.

So are you a man or a mouse. Crawling in the dust now (losing all of your face) will set a precedence for the future. If he wants money, make him give a specified bill.

If you give in this time, the next time it will be something else. If it is a true amount a bill would not be a problem. If he does not want to give a bill, then it is a scam.

Some fall for it, others not. Would you do it in your own country? Or is Thailand some mystical country where people loose their common sense and give in to everything just to maintain a good relationship? In my opinion the relationship is damaged from the start by him asking for money without anything to back it up.

No bill, no money. Easy as that.

Another cyber warior... :o

RAZZ

Indeed a mouse. I hope you survive.

Ok "Jean"...You're sooooooooo brave.... :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

If I was in this situation, I'd just apologize very earnestly to them. Explain that the Thai government is very pedantic with farangs, and that you must do everything completely legal as one day you might like to be able to rent the house out, and you need this for tax reasons.

Explain that because you are a farang, you need a very clear invoice that shows exactly how much VAT will be deducted and what it is for, a receipt after the fact isn't good enough. Has to be a written contract or itemized invoice in addition to the VAT receipt so there is no confusion with the tax department later on. If they aren't charging VAT, then it isn't legal because you won't be able to transfer it to the company later. Have to pay VAT. Tell them if you were Thai, this would be easy, but as a farang you have to be extra careful. So sorry. It's the Thai government's fault, not yours. Evil government in Bangkok. No, the word of a local official isn't good enough. Has to be very clear paperwork. Tax reasons you know.

Complete garbage? Of course. There is no such regulation, and invoice or a receipt won't help you anyway unless you are already a company. But try and make them PROVE that there is no such rule. The key to doing it the Thai way is to make it someone else's fault. Not yours. You want to comply. It's the government who won't let you do it because you are a farang and are different from a normal person. Get them out of their comfort zone, but do it as if you are on their side. They won't be 100% sure you aren't telling the truth, even if they think you're making up a grand story.

In the mean time start building your house. You can consider negotiating if the police show up, but even then I'd try the story on the police first. Just be everyone's friend and keep blaming some far off, nebulous tax law from those villains down in Bangkok.

I know plenty of people who live in Moo Baans and never have to cause to complain. Actually I'm one of them, I'm very happy living in a Moo Baan and find it difficult to consider living in a condo.

That is good to know, doesyour Moon Baan have a managment commitee?

I really don't have any plans to move into a condo (currently renting a house).

But I was beginning to think that it may be better to look at stand alone properties rather than those in a Moo Baan.

Or a property in a Moo Baan that does not have security or management commities. Just buy a house and don't have to deal with anyone.

There are some good points made here.

I would certainly insist on an invoice. Just state, "I need an invoice for my taxes". It is a bullshit line, but Somchai is not going to know that, especially since he has no idea what your tax requirements might be for your home country...whether there are any or not is immaterial.

Whether you pay, do not pay, or try to negotiate it down...up to you.

Exactly and I would go further down the road stating that as the Thai government are now looking at who owns the 51% of shares which must be held in Thai names, they want to make sure those holding the 51% have accounted where they got the money from and have they paid tax on it. Thus, if they cannot explain totally legally where it is going and for whom, then you cannot pay as the Thai tax man will be coming after you and whoever you pay the money to !

If I was in this situation, I'd just apologize very earnestly to them. Explain that the Thai government is very pedantic with farangs, and that you must do everything completely legal as one day you might like to be able to rent the house out, and you need this for tax reasons.

Explain that because you are a farang, you need a very clear invoice that shows exactly how much VAT will be deducted and what it is for, a receipt after the fact isn't good enough. Has to be a written contract or itemized invoice in addition to the VAT receipt so there is no confusion with the tax department later on. If they aren't charging VAT, then it isn't legal because you won't be able to transfer it to the company later. Have to pay VAT. Tell them if you were Thai, this would be easy, but as a farang you have to be extra careful. So sorry. It's the Thai government's fault, not yours. Evil government in Bangkok. No, the word of a local official isn't good enough. Has to be very clear paperwork. Tax reasons you know.

Complete garbage? Of course. There is no such regulation, and invoice or a receipt won't help you anyway unless you are already a company. But try and make them PROVE that there is no such rule. The key to doing it the Thai way is to make it someone else's fault. Not yours. You want to comply. It's the government who won't let you do it because you are a farang and are different from a normal person. Get them out of their comfort zone, but do it as if you are on their side. They won't be 100% sure you aren't telling the truth, even if they think you're making up a grand story.

In the mean time start building your house. You can consider negotiating if the police show up, but even then I'd try the story on the police first. Just be everyone's friend and keep blaming some far off, nebulous tax law from those villains down in Bangkok.

Excellent. Just pass the buck back to one of theirs. You'd love to pay but just cannot or Big Brother will come smacking your arse wanting more money !