Earthquake Felt At Around 8.10am Today

Rickman

Yeah, felt it up in Chiang Mai about 30 or 40 minutes ago. Thought it was my ever-so-slight hangover, but my chair was moving back and forth and the misses started yelping downstairs so grabbed the baby and made for the garden.

:D

Interesting.

The USGS web site has a 4.6 magnitude earthquake just off Java at 06:54 Bangkok time. That seems to far south to register, but who knows.

It was a very deep quake, around 250 Km down.

:o

They show an 8.5 magnitude quake off the coast of Sumatra, and that is at the right time if I haven't gotten confused about the timezones. Folks down south probably felt a lot more shaking than we did in Bangkok and north!

Strong quake rocks Indonesian province

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

JAKARTA, Indonesia -- A powerful earthquake rocked Indonesia's northernmost province of Aceh Sunday, alarming thousands of residents who fled their homes for the safety of the streets, officials said.

There wer

Strong quake rocks Indonesian province

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

JAKARTA, Indonesia -- A powerful earthquake rocked Indonesia's northernmost province of Aceh Sunday, alarming thousands of residents who fled their homes for the safety of the streets, officials said.

There were conflicting reports on the size of the temblor, which struck about 8 a.m. and was centered about 100 miles off the west coast of Sumatra. Indonesian seismologists said the quake had a magnitude of 6.4, but the U.S. Geological Survey's Web site recorded a magnitude of 8.1, considerably larger and capable of massive damage. There was no way to immediately clarify the discrepancy.

State-run news agency Antara said several buildings in the Aceh provincial capital, Banda Aceh, 1,000 miles northwest of Jakarta, were lightly damaged and that thousands of people fled their homes when the quake struck.

Indonesia, a country of 17,000 islands, is prone to seismic upheaval because of its location on the margins of tectonic plates that make up the so-called the "Ring of Fire" around the Pacific Ocean basin.

I was 20 floors up in my condo when I was woken by the sound of groaning concrete and plaster falling between the walls. Got up, the whole building was swaying and shaking for at least 2 minutes.

There's 2 high-rise constructions going on next door, my first thought was that one of the buildings next door had started to collapse or something...was very disoriented (not to mention half-asleep and hungover). I'd never experienced an earthquake before.

Legged it down the stairs onto the street, had to wait an hour for an all-clear from the building engineer, but the lifts were out of order, so had to walk 20 flights of stairs back up into the apartment so I could get ready for work, then 20 flights back down again :o

Standing in my condo at Bann Phatumwan I felt two tremors today which may things swing. Anyone else have any earthquake reports?

i live in Ao-Nang, Krabi - there have been ambulances going past all morning - apparently some people were killed last night - cause is a bit sketchy - tidal wave or earthquake...will check it out now...

Tidal waves hit Sri Lanka

From correspondents in Colombo

December 26, 2004

MASSIVE tidal waves hit eastern and southern Sri Lanka today causing flash floods and displacing thousands of people, police said.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, but hundreds of villages along the island's eastern sea board as well as towns along the southern coast were affected, police said.

"The police station is also under water here," an officer in Matara, 160km south of the capital Colombo said by telephone.

Reports from the coastal area suggested that a stretch of more than 500km from Trincomalee in the island's east to Galle in the south had been hit by huge tidal waves, but in many places water had receded.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

could these be related? :o