Over Thousand Of Motorists Filmed For Jumping Red Light

george

Over thousand of motorists filmed for jumping red light

BANGKOK: -- The 1,000-plus motorists filmed jumping a Bangkok red light yesterday can expect a Bt500 traffic ticket in the mail soon.

"We will send the photo of their offence to them within seven days," said Col Wanchai Yoosaeng of the Traffic Police.

"We can locate where the offenders live through their licence plate numbers. The records are available at the Land Transport Department," he said after finishing the first day of the redline camera system at 30 intersections in the capital.

Running a red light is a common cause of accidents, which often cause deaths and injuries.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a nice revenue earner for the government. Speed cameras and more roadside breath testing will be next on the agenda I imagine, though the latter might just increase the amount of tea money collected by the BIB, whereas the former two prevent that due to no personal contact with the offender.

Traffic light cameras and speed cameras are a good thing and will make the Thai government untold Millions of Baht a year.

Good on Thailand for following this lead.

Speed Cameras may slow down Farangs in Fortuners doing 170 Kph on a 90 Kph speed limit road.

Then again maybe not as 1,740,000 drivers where convicted by speed cameras in UK in 2006..........

A step in the right direction nevertheless. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Everyone knows that the traffic lights here are fixed with a delay.

The correct use of the amber light would be a start.

All Thai motorists know that if you go through when your lights have just gone Red you have about 10 seconds before any other light goes green.

Its a start and any start is good if it will save lives.

Maybe now the BIB will do something about all the cars and motors that drive around without number plates

If not This will only increase the number of cars that remove the rear numberplate so that they than can not be fined..

..and in the USA they sell a 'reflector plate*' just for this purpose.

*A semi-clear piece that fits over the license plate and allows the plate number to be visible but when the flash of the camera hits it the number is not visible.

Hooray!!

This is one use of photo-enforcement that I support 100%.

More than common speeding, this offense has a high probability of injuring innocent motorists who actually expect the rules of the road to be followed.....

short pause before laughing aloud at the concept of rules of the road in Thailand!

Maybe now the BIB will do something about all the cars and motors that drive around without number plates

If not This will only increase the number of cars that remove the rear numberplate so that they than can not be fined..

*A semi-clear piece that fits over the license plate and allows the plate number to be visible but when the flash of the camera hits it the number is not visible.

I watch Mythbuster once on the refflector plat (and other devices, including clink film). Save your money, they all do not work.

Edited by samgrowth

I watch Mythbuster once on the refflector plat (and other devices, including clink film). Save your money, they all do not work.

Hmmmmmm.... Now I wondering whether the episode of Myth Busters you watched tested every model and manufacturer of these reflector plates? I would probably have to agree that they are like anything else that is produced in this world, some are good and some of them are not so good.

The real solution is not to break the law.

This will be a nice revenue earner for the government. Speed cameras and more roadside breath testing will be next on the agenda I imagine, though the latter might just increase the amount of tea money collected by the BIB, whereas the former two prevent that due to no personal contact with the offender.
Your first sentence sums it up perfectly,.

Hmmmmmm.... Now I wondering whether the episode of Myth Busters you watched tested every model and manufacturer of these reflector plates? I would probably have to agree that they are like anything else that is produced in this world, some are good and some of them are not so good.

The real solution is not to break the law.

Mythbusters TV show Episode 73: Speed Cameras

Take two self-confessed speed freaks -- yeah, that would be Adam and Jamie -- .... How about using license plate protectors or changing lanes to avoid the camera's eagle eye? Adam and Jamie put the pedal to the metal to crack these myths.

Premiere: March 7, 2007

They are right this product does not work. An the company will not refund your money even if you ask for it with in 30 days. Buyer be ware [..]

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0006Q5MLK

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode73

Edited by samgrowth

Traffic light cameras and speed cameras are a good thing and will make the Thai government untold Millions of Baht a year.

Speed Cameras may slow down Farangs in Fortuners doing 170 Kph on a 90 Kph speed limit road.

Then again maybe not as 1,740,000 drivers where convicted by speed cameras in UK in 2006..........

A step in the right direction nevertheless. :D

The problem is the red signal is too long,3or4 minute red signals is why they jump them and run the red light.60 second cycles is what they use in the states. 30 seconds red 3 amber 27 green.This keeps all directions moving. :o:D:D

All very well as long as they are used IN KNOWN ACCIDENT SPOTS, unlike in the UK where it has got ridiculous....speed camera's, traffic light camera's everywhere and BIB hiding in bushes with speed guns in the middle of nowhere trying to catch you doing a safe 41km/h in a 30km/h limit etc.

These things need to be used sensibly, otherwise as soon as they see the revenue they bring in, they will be everywhere!

In the UK now, it is widely accepted that some camera's HAVE NOT improved safety whatsoever! Fact!

So, used sensibly fine but as a revenue earner, not fine! Only problem here is that once they see the money they make..... :o

Some are missing the point here, it has nothing to do with trying to reduce traffic accidents, just another revenue collector,..greed in another guise,.

Keep thinking negative

Not negative, realistic im afraid,in a country where you can pay an on the spot fine of 200 baht or at the ps 500 baht, i have no problem with that however where i do have concerns are where a murderer can also buy his freedom and im afraid my rose colored glasses were removed a long time ago,.ive never been booked for running a red light( i try not to go throught them ) laws in thailand are made to be broken, they love it,.

A step in the right direction nevertheless. :D

The problem is the red signal is too long,3or4 minute red signals is why they jump them and run the red light.60 second cycles is what they use in the states. 30 seconds red 3 amber 27 green.This keeps all directions moving. :D:D:D

Traffic signals in Thailand are carefully programmed. They are setup to make sure that you have to stop at each and every signal. :o

Well it’s a start. But I’m afraid 500,- Baht for driving on red light will be to low a fee and will only and as usual punish the poorest offenders.

Why not give a fee after how your income is which is done in some European countries.

500 Baht fee = 0- 10K Baht monthly income

5000 Baht fee= 25-50 K Baht monthly income

10000 Baht fee= 50- 100K Baht monthly income

25000 Baht fee= 100K - and up Baht monthly income

Well it’s a start. But I’m afraid 500,- Baht for driving on red light will be to low a fee and will only and as usual punish the poorest offenders.

Why not give a fee after how your income is which is done in some European countries.

And 500,000 Baht for Farangs ! :o

Some are missing the point here, it has nothing to do with trying to reduce traffic accidents, just another revenue collector,..greed in another guise,.

Oh I'm sure it's a revenue collector, just like in other countries, but if it reduces accidents and saves just one life then it has done it's job.

For once I'm going to support the BIB on coming up with something a little more sensible.

If that is the case, why is the stuff banned in the UK and how do they have 'police video' of some of these number plates with distorted figures ?

Well it's a start. But I'm afraid 500,- Baht for driving on red light will be to low a fee and will only and as usual punish the poorest offenders.

Carefull here, this is where it's gonna end up with fines based on income...

One of Finland's richest men has been handed a record 170,000 euros speeding ticket, thanks to the country's policy of relating the fine to your income. Jussi Salonoja, the 27-year-old heir to a family-owned sausage empire, was given the £116,000 ticket after being caught driving 80km/h in a 40km/h zone.

Helsinki police came up with the figure after tax office data showed that Mr Salonoja earned close to £7m in 2002.

Full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3477285.stm

More or less 8.5M baht for driving 80kph....

If that is the case, why is the stuff banned in the UK and how do they have 'police video' of some of these number plates with distorted figures ?

As I told samgrowth, I agree that some products are inferior and are not good working products. This is true for almost everything that a consumer buys these days. And for Myth Busters, if he would have read the article closer or knew anything about radar speed cameras he would have found out that Myth Busters did not setup their experiment camera at the same angle that most radar speed cameras are set to. I know that some of these products work just fine as the city I lived in in Colorado has been using speed radar cameras for over 10 years now and they have baned the use of these reflector plates. Try checking out ghostplates dot com as they appear to have a product that works.

Then in the USA there is the old adage of what happens when you are not the one driving your car when the camera takes the photo of your license plate, are you still liable? This is why the camera used in the city I lived in not only takes a photo of the license plate but also of the driver. Perhaps we will all be driving around with paper bags covering our heads.... :o