95 Petrol Where? Chiang Mai Area...

wjmark

The Shell station closer in towards the river from the Arcade Bus Station (Nawarat rd) has 95 benzine at one of their pumps.

Any others in or near Chiang Mai? Hang Dong? Mae Rim? Anywhere within about 40km of CM?

Thanks, wj

There is a lot of information on the GT Rider site, including a pretty comprehensive list of stations that still sell 95 benzene: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/

I'm lucky that my little Ninja 250R was designed to run on 91, but if I had bike that required 95 I'd carry a small bottle of octane booster with me under the seat. A little bit goes a long way and that way you don't have to worry so much about finding stations that sell 95 benzene. I believe 95 benzene will become more and more difficult to find going forward.

Happy Trails!

Hi WJ, I assume you tried using 91 and experienced knocking (pre-ignition or ping) when at full throttle from a lower RPM. If that's the case then your stuck with 95, or using an octane booster with a 91 benzene. FYI, there's numerous Midwestern States that only sell 10% gasahol and not benzene. None of the motorcycle forums that carry American biker's posts have complained about the alcohol doing damage to their engines. Just a thought.

Thanks.

GTRider reports one other is the Shell station 1km south of Airport Plaza.

The reason I want it is simple - performance. Makes my little CBR just that little bit nippier...

Not sure if that can be true. Higher octane means the benzine burns slower. Designed for high compression engines to minimize ping or pre-ignition. Nothing to do really with the BTU's generated from a fixed amount of fuel. Having said that, anything is possible and who am I to say. Good luck in your quest.