Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

Chinese indoor fireworks causing fire ?

http://www.welt.de/english-news/article247...injures-88.html

Sound similar, a few months ago, killing 43 in a nightclub in Shenzen.

well, why it doesn't say that fire inspectors think combustible fumes from the fireworks collecting along the ceiling were the culprit, interesting that they suggest a lack of ventilation was a contributing factor- normally ventilation would feed a fire oxygen

mmm Yes, very interesting

the Emergency Services in Thailand are not exactly benevolent, and get their own form of compensation by stealing from the victims. A Sad but thrue fact.

got anything to back up that statement ?

FACT : 2 of my friends are still alive DIRECTLY due to the heroics of the thai fire department.

I think the OP is alluding not to the Fire Services, but to the Por Teck Teung, who have been accused ad nauseam of rifling through the pockets of those it purports to help.

It has been widely debated, likely not an issue meriting re-examination regarding this disco inferno though.

As I stated in a post a while back, these places are often not licensed. They make the application, which is never approved (but maybe not denied). The application stays in limbo and the police can collect tea money to allow it to operate without a license. There may well be others who also get paid off--maybe to at least not deny the license.

I do know of another place that was in a similar situation and was paying a huge weekly amount to stay open.

In this case, I don't know who or what, but someone was making money besides the owner.

Regardless of how much we consider the owners accountable, I hope they've got the decency to show their faces to the police and not "flee the scene" (as we're so used to hearing).

When I first heard the news about a fire in a nightclub in BKK, my first thoughts were of somewhere in Patpong or a run-down karaoke/massage joint in the backstreets. Came as a bit of a shock it was a much more (supposedly) modern venue.

May the victims of this horrible tragedy RIP.

Insight, while I don't think the owners will flee the scene long term, below is a link to the picture of one of the owners (Wisut) who is #66.

http://student.nu.ac.th/mayzaa_it4/HDJCLUB/racing.asp

Please note, and this is important, neither Wisut nor any of the other owners has been shown to be culpable for this fire. In fact, Wisut was in the club at the time and was one of the injured.

OMR, was just continuing on from the last post by SibeyMai:

I agree with that taxexile, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the owner. Not that I'm saying he's innocent I'm just saying there's probably more to it than that.

But as you say, it probably won't ammount to anything anyway.

Good point added after your edit about the police.

If the owner is not responsible, then who is ?

It's the owner's business. It's the owner who employs and pays the staff. It's the owner who buys a new Benz from the profits.

the owner is not the only person responsible in this case. Thong Lo police are responsible along with the BMA.

ALL OF THEM NEED OT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE WITH LONG PRISON TERMS AND LARGE COMPENSATION PAYMENTS TO THE VICTIMS AND JAIL TERMS COMENSURATE WITH THE SUFFERING THE VICTIMS WILL ENDURE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

I also agree with SibeyMai that the buck has to stop somewhere. I read one report (not sure if it was in BP or The Nation - will dig out on request) stating that the whole place was ablaze within 10 minutes of the first flames being spotted! Be the cause fireworks, sparklers, whatever, 10 minutes is a seriously short bit of time to allow people to escape.

Okay, you could argue that the owners were had no obligation to ensure adequate fire precautions had been installed as they were under no/limited legal obligation to do so, but that won't do much to console the friends and relatives of the victims and injured.

I agree with you and it sucks to start the NYR off like this. I used to frequent this club in the past and they do cram the place unitl it's packed as every other venue, bus, etc. This goes for other clubs on Silom Soi 4 etc..

My heart goes out to the people and their families.

As nationalistic as the people are here, they really don't seem to care about safety, the environment, education, and the list goes on!

It makes me sick to see such negligence.

RIP :o

This is sad news for Thailand.

Speaking of being nationalistic and all....

What do you think the reason was for the Police to initially state the many of the victims were foreigners?

This one is easy and it has absolutely nothing to do with nationalism.

There is no question that the police, on scene and talking to firemen, knew most of the victims were Thai. However, with the media swarming, they needed to buy time from locals to get a better understanding of how this club, licensed as a food establishment that was required to close by midnight, was allowed to continue to operate as a nightclub for more than 4 years. Soon after they announced that they didn't want the Santika to operate, but the administrative court issued an injunction 4 years prior that was still in force that they had to obey. The comment on foreigners has not been made again.

Right now, the Adm. Court's explanation is awaited and it should be made within a day or two.

There is a lot of unanswered questions, many to do with culpability for this tragedy and many to do with how this club was allowed to operate in the first place.

Passing the hot potato.

I agree with you and it sucks to start the NYR off like this. I used to frequent this club in the past and they do cram the place unitl it's packed as every other venue, bus, etc. This goes for other clubs on Silom Soi 4 etc..

My heart goes out to the people and their families.

As nationalistic as the people are here, they really don't seem to care about safety, the environment, education, and the list goes on!

It makes me sick to see such negligence.

RIP :o

This is sad news for Thailand.

Speaking of being nationalistic and all....

What do you think the reason was for the Police to initially state the many of the victims were foreigners?

This one is easy and it has absolutely nothing to do with nationalism.

There is no question that the police, on scene and talking to firemen, knew most of the victims were Thai. However, with the media swarming, they needed to buy time from locals to get a better understanding of how this club, licensed as a food establishment that was required to close by midnight, was allowed to continue to operate as a nightclub for more than 4 years. Soon after they announced that they didn't want the Santika to operate, but the administrative court issued an injunction 4 years prior that was still in force that they had to obey. The comment on foreigners has not been made again.

Right now, the Adm. Court's explanation is awaited and it should be made within a day or two.

There is a lot of unanswered questions, many to do with culpability for this tragedy and many to do with how this club was allowed to operate in the first place.

For me it has everything to do with nationalism. That statement was predicated on the notion that Thais would care less about foreigners dying than locals. Their attention would be diverted if the majority of deaths were foreigners.

Does anybody know what all the references to Hobb bar are about then? I'm guessing the owner is somehow connected with this other club.

Edited by steffi

Wasn't it in Thong Lo (or certainly near there) that an entire city block of small-scale merchants were wiped out of business a few years ago - their little stalls, full with merchandise, smashed to bits by a hired mob(?) If memory serves, the local man who hired the mob was a massage parlor tycoon, and got off unscathed....

Chuwit Kamolvisit: Thug, MP, ex-MP, 3rd in Bangkok governor elections in 2004 and 2008. Lovely chap.

gallery_35489_956_7796.jpg

I also agree with SibeyMai that the buck has to stop somewhere. I read one report (not sure if it was in BP or The Nation - will dig out on request) stating that the whole place was ablaze within 10 minutes of the first flames being spotted! Be the cause fireworks, sparklers, whatever, 10 minutes is a seriously short bit of time to allow people to escape.

Do anyone know if an accurate timeline of events exists?

Edited by chrislarsson

Does anyone know if the performers that were on stage at the time were able to get out or not?

It begs the question because if they could get out then the other people at the front should have been able to get out too. The problem is there are several reports that the majority of bodies were found at the pit next to the stage. Does this mean the live act just jumped up and left as soon as the fire started? Shouldn't they have been attempting to direct people out the various exits as they should have known the layout of the club fairly well at least enough to navigate in the dark...

Where were the other trained staff with flashlights to direct the crowd?

What about the bouncers? Were they able to assist at all?

--

I have been asking myself the same question on the performers; i was on the balcony on the opposite side. When the flames were visible above the stage, they stopped playing. I saw them putting down instruments, but then i did not pay attention anymore as I decided it was time to leave the building. Just when I was down the stairs at the entrance area, the ceiling collapsed here too. The light shut down and smoke fell down. I managed to get out. there was still a lot of smoke and i was relieved when someone shouted in English "you're out, you're safe now". Thanks dude, you reassured me at that time.

No Bouncers, No torches, no safety lights, no sound, no warning, nothing whatsoever. Sense of direction was totally gone. At the point I was almost out, the panic must have started because of the darkness. With the entrace/exit area also in flames people must have had no clue where to go.

After putting the friends into the car, I returned to help. i moved wounded people away from the entrance area, as well as people who were in shock. As the minutes passed, their condition worsened.

THere was no way to get back in, the fire was everywhere. Thinking back, I should have stand at the door and shout 'exit here!' or light the entrance area with car headlights. I didnt think of it, even if i experienced the darkness in there. I guess noone else did. I'm truly sorry.

My best wishes to the friends and family of people who lost their lives. i saw them looking into te flames in dispair. May you recover soon!

Vince

I should be able to derive it from the timestamps of the pictures of my digital camera. Will check that out.

I've got the killer fireworks pictured, taken from inside Santika through the window (i have many reasons to believe it's the big fireworks opposite the building that set the outer roof on fire - it spread on the outer roof before falling through the inner roof, making it seem as it spread fast freom the point above the stage that everyone mentions as the first spot).

as well as the fire spreading (the windows on the 1st floor on the left side of the building were the first to let flames through).

A rough estimate would be 5 to 10 minutes from the appearance of the flames above the stage to the whole bulding being in flames indeed

Vince

Any update on the location of the owner? Has he done a a Thaksin, and pissed off over the border?

My heart goes out to all those families and individuals that have suffered trauma or loss from this totally preventable tragedy.

I hope that those directly, or indirectly in the case of certain government agencies are made accountable. Sadly, I suspect that the outcome has been decided.

Smoke fumes are already burnt, and are therefore not very flammable. Unless there were still-glowing embers floating up in the air, all the way to the second floor where the fire reportedly started, the sparlkler fumes didn't contribute to the fire. Video footage from moments before the fire -- which show the sparklers being lit -- does not support the theory that the sparklers caused the fire in this manner. I am not an expert on pyrotechnics (although Chemistry was my subject in university), but the sparklers that were thrown out to the crowd to be lit at the first moment of the new year have a very low likelihood of being the cause of the fire in my opinion, as unwise as it was to light sparklers indoors. It is much more likely that the indoor fireworks display on the second floor ignited nearby foam soundproofing material, or possibly fireworks launched from surrounding buildings ignited plastic tarps on the roof of Santika. This is all speculation right now as some eyewitness reports that have leaked conflict each other, and the police investigation has yet to be completed.

OK, allow me to state my theory of what happened based on the following:

• I was on the balcony opposite the stage
  • As many people reported, the first flames were above the stage. this is far (10-15,) away from where I was and as far away from the entrance.
  • Heavy fireworks were set off on the roof of the building opposite the steet entrance (got these pictured)
  • Whilst my friends and I were inside, one of us went out for fresh air and then saw the OUTER ROOF ON FIRE. She couldn't phone us as she ran out of credit (goes fast in Thailand) and did not get back in
  • When We saw the flames on the inner ceiling above the stage, we slowly walked to the stairs in order to get out. the musicians stopped playing at that time. People didnt seem too worried, at least i wasn't and i didnt notice excitement.
  • Less than 30 seconds later I was down the stairs nearby the entrance. To my big surprise a piece of burning ceiling fell down on me AT THE ENTRANCE AREA (12m or so away from the first visible flames). The light went out and there was only smole, heat and total darkness.
  • I got out, took friend tot he car and went back to see if I could help. This must have been about 2-3 minutes after the first visible flames. By then the whole building was much ablaze, especially the left side (leading to the car park at the back)

As I experienced a collapse very far from the stage ceiling (can fire go 12m in 30 seconds and damage a structure to collapse?) I guess the outer roof must have been burning a while and spread all over.

The burning outer roof then started to fall down here and there, setting the whole place on fire, a bit everywhere (initially on the left side, mainly) and also the exit area.

Tis matches the story of my friend outside who noticed the burning roof, whilst we were stillinside and aware of nothing.

Withthe music playing loud and the inner ceiling shielding from fire and smoke, nobody was aware what happened.

it seems nobody who was outside managed to warn people inside and it was only when the problem was apparent inside that we started to move out.

Just my theory, but so far it explains the rapid spread and the collapses everywhere.

Vince

Does anyone know if the performers that were on stage at the time were able to get out or not?

It begs the question because if they could get out then the other people at the front should have been able to get out too. The problem is there are several reports that the majority of bodies were found at the pit next to the stage. Does this mean the live act just jumped up and left as soon as the fire started? Shouldn't they have been attempting to direct people out the various exits as they should have known the layout of the club fairly well at least enough to navigate in the dark...

Where were the other trained staff with flashlights to direct the crowd?

What about the bouncers? Were they able to assist at all?

--

I have been asking myself the same question on the performers; i was on the balcony on the opposite side. When the flames were visible above the stage, they stopped playing. I saw them putting down instruments, but then i did not pay attention anymore as I decided it was time to leave the building. Just when I was down the stairs at the entrance area, the ceiling collapsed here too. The light shut down and smoke fell down. I managed to get out. there was still a lot of smoke and i was relieved when someone shouted in English "you're out, you're safe now". Thanks dude, you reassured me at that time.

No Bouncers, No torches, no safety lights, no sound, no warning, nothing whatsoever. Sense of direction was totally gone. At the point I was almost out, the panic must have started because of the darkness. With the entrace/exit area also in flames people must have had no clue where to go.

After putting the friends into the car, I returned to help. i moved wounded people away from the entrance area, as well as people who were in shock. As the minutes passed, their condition worsened.

THere was no way to get back in, the fire was everywhere. Thinking back, I should have stand at the door and shout 'exit here!' or light the entrance area with car headlights. I didnt think of it, even if i experienced the darkness in there. I guess noone else did. I'm truly sorry.

My best wishes to the friends and family of people who lost their lives. i saw them looking into te flames in dispair. May you recover soon!

Vince

Thanks for the first hand account Vincent.

I would of thought where you were standing along with the toilets as being the most difficult area's to get out from.

I should be able to derive it from the timestamps of the pictures of my digital camera. Will check that out.

Vince

Photograph a known accurate clock with the camera. That way, by comparing the camera's time stamp versus the time shown in the picture, you'll have a record of how much your camera's clock is off.

Shame to see PM Abhisit, an educated man publicly sidestep the important saftey issues such as emergency exits and sprinkers systems by saying that fire crackers should not be bought into clubs, what a cop-out.

I thank Khun Abhisit for pinpointing the most likely cause of this horror fire, firecrackers indoors, under a flammable ceiling. What I'd like to know is who brought the fireworks into Santika, and whose decision it was to fire them in the crowded room. Sparklers were handed out too, by whom?

My first reaction to the tragic news was That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. But the same thing happened in a Shenzen nightclub in September, with similar deaths. So I have to wonder if this shooting of fireworks indoors for special effects is common practice? Has anyone seen, and survived, a similar fiery show anywhere?

This fire killed and badly injured many in Bangkok's high society. My hope is that their influential pain and outrage will spur Abhisit on to find out who is responsible for causing the fire, and bringing he, she, or them to realistic justice. Can this be an opportunity for Abhisit to show leadership in striking a blow against corruption?

vincentc, thanks for the posts. its going to change your life for sure. You cant blame yourself for anything, eg: car headlights etc... as for 'exit here' - i doubt above the commotion anyone would hear you, and it would be in english, or bad thai. Thank goodness you made it out. I really hope this karmic experience changes your life for the better, even if only to appreciate being alive all the more. Nearly died drowning once, on the Zambezi white water rafting, sucked down a giant whirlpool into 'the green room' they call it. half my lungs full of water, had flashbacks for a good 2 years. But they do go.

Edited by whiterussian

I've got the killer fireworks pictured, taken from inside Santika through the window (i have many reasons to believe it's the big fireworks opposite the building that set the outer roof on fire - it spread on the outer roof before falling through the inner roof, making it seem as it spread fast freom the point above the stage that everyone mentions as the first spot).

as well as the fire spreading (the windows on the 1st floor on the left side of the building were the first to let flames through).

A rough estimate would be 5 to 10 minutes from the appearance of the flames above the stage to the whole bulding being in flames indeed

Vince

In one of the videos you see a male exiting the building after almost stumbling as he gets out.

Did anybody interview him?

Vince

In one of the videos you see a male exiting the building after almost stumbling as he gets out.

I saw this, but what is your point?

Cheers, Rick

Vince

Cheers, Rick

No point, but he's one of the last people to exit the building so you figure he could offer a lot of first hand knowledge about what was happening inside.

Also is there any translation of the following page?

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?...10&catid=17

Edited by steffi

Vince

Cheers, Rick

No point, but he's one of the last people to exit the building so you figure he could offer a lot of first hand knowledge about what was happening inside.

So my wife tells me that this page details the investors and the distributions and the profit for each year.

Seems odd since the club takes in 70 million baht and only has a 2 million baht profit. Is that right?

I'll do my best. My rough translation is below, between sections of the article:

Specific information on Wite & Brothers owner of the pub hel_l Santika!! "White," together with the names of 24 shareholders, who collected profits for four years.

Note: เสี่ยขาว [sia-khaao] is an odd word that I don't have a good translation for. เสี่ย [sia] is often translated as "rich man's son," but can sometimes mean "wealthy Chinese man." ขาว [khaao] is the color white. The sentence that this appears in appears to be an explanation of the English name of the company, White and Brothers, Co. Ltd., and appears to be referring to one of the owners or shareholders as "White."

The name "Sia Khaao" thus is that which comes from the name of the company, meaning "White," and the part "[aen braa-thoe]" meaning "and brothers," probably refers to Mr. Wichian Setsawat, who holds 3% of the shares, numbering 12 shares in total, worth 60,000 Baht.

The celebration at the end of last year that coincided with the farewell celebration for the location of the hi-so SANTIKA Pub & Restaurant, or as it is known to the locals, SANTIKA Pub has become a tradgedy, wasting the lives of 62 people, and injuring 242 due to the carelessness of individuals and authorities involved.

SANTIKA Pub was operated by White and Brothers (2003) Company Ltd., registered on November 13th, 2003 with 1.2 million Baht in initial capital investment, followed by an additional 2 million Baht investment on November 16th, 2006. Stock is divided into 400 shares at 5,000 Baht per share.

It was constructed at 235/11 Soi Sukhumvit 63, Ekamai, Sukhumvit Rd., Khwaeng Khlong Tan North, Khet Wattana, Bangkok 10110

The chairman of the board is listed as Mr. Suriya Ritrabeu.

However, Mr. Suriya is not a shareholder. He owns not even one share. Although Mr. Visuk Setsawat, or "Sia Khaao," is the owner of 32.25% of the shares, numbering129 shares, with a value of 645,000 Baht.

(There is a repeat of the first sentence, explaining the name of the company, "White and Brothers".)

List of the names of the shareholders, consisting of:

1. Mr. Nattaphol Wongmaneewan, holding 7.5% of shares, numbering 30 shares valued at 150,000 Baht.

2. Mr. Kittiphon Prichananon, holding 4.75% of shares, numbering 19 shares valued at 95,000 Baht.

3. Mr. Nattaphat Ditsaneevet, holding 4% of shares, numbering 16 shares valued at 80,000 Baht.

4. Mr. Prayon Laseua, holding 4% of shares, numbering 16 shares valued at 80,000 Baht.

5. Mr. Sathitphorn Ophatcharoensuk, holding 4% of shares, numbering 16 shares valued at 80,000 Baht.

6. Mr. Itsariya Songsuwan, holding 4% of shares, numbering 16 shares valued at 80,000 Baht.

7. Miss. Tharinee Seupsaman, holding 3.75% of shares, numbering 15 shares valued at 75,000 Baht.

8. Mr. Torsak Charoenwongsak, holding 3.5% of shares, numbering 14 shares valued at 70,000 Baht.

9. Mr. Khamthae Khajornsakul, holding 3% of shares, numbering 12 shares valued at 60,000 Baht.

10. Mr. Chaiyawat Nimitaphongsak, holding 3% of shares, numbering 12 shares valued at 60,000 Baht.

11. Mr. Davit Thiravittayangun, holding 3% of shares, numbering 12 shares valued at 60,000 Baht.

12. Mr. Rungyot Chanthaphasa, holding 3% of shares, numbering 12 shares valued at 60,000 Baht.

13. Mr. Khumphit Wattanachai, holding 1.75% of shares, numbering 7 shares valued at 35,000 Baht.

14. Mr. Thap Jira, holding 1.75% of shares, numbering 7 shares valued at 35,000 Baht.

15. Mr. Louis Scott, holding 1.75% of shares, numbering 7 shares valued at 35,000 Baht.

16. Mr. Kongkiat Ruamsin, holding 1.5% of shares, numbering 6 shares valued at 30,000 Baht.

17. Mr. Narong Worawatbancha, holding 1.5% of shares, numbering 6 shares valued at 30,000 Baht.

18. Mr. Nattakan Phoemphunsapthawi, holding 1.25% of shares, numbering 5 shares valued at 25,000 Baht.

19. Mr. Thatphum Kritsanawong, holding 1.25% of shares, numbering 5 shares valued at 25,000 Baht.

20. Mr. Prasit Jiyarom, holding 1.25% of shares, numbering 5 shares valued at 25,000 Baht.

21. Mr. Banjawat Aranthanawong, holding 1% of shares, numbering 4 shares valued at 20,000 Baht.

22. Mr. Viradej Phuchanakit, holding 1% of shares, numbering 4 shares valued at 20,000 Baht.

23. Mr. Viravudh Phuchanakit, holding 1% of shares, numbering 4 shares valued at 20,000 Baht.

Results from the operation of the business continuously over the 4 years, earning profits starting from:

Year 2004 - Earned 31,987,558.37 Baht. Net profit 1,215,209.20 Baht, or 5,063.37 Baht per share.

Year 2005 - Earned 36,453,469.59 Baht. Net profit 879,036.60 Baht, or 3,662.65 per share.

Year 2006 - Earned 45,556,210.40 Baht. Net profit 1,381,542.90 Baht, or 3,453.85 per share.

Year 2007 - Earned 70,074,171.79 Baht. Net profit 2,518,266.28, or 6,295.67 per share.

So my wife tells me that this page details the investors and the distributions and the profit for each year.

Seems odd since the club takes in 70 million baht and only has a 2 million baht profit. Is that right?

68 million Baht does seem rather high for the operating expenses of a night club. It would be interesting to see the books for this business.

68 million Baht does seem rather high for the operating expenses of a night club. It would be interesting to see the books for this business.

I'm guessing they are getting gauged on the rent but you suspect there's some "washing" going on here?

Update:

SANTIKA PUB BLAZE: Twenty-six survivors in ICU

BANGKOK: -- Death toll rises to 62 as three more victims succumb to burns; 13 bodies yet to be identified

Eighty-eight survivors of the New Year's Eve blaze at Santika Pub, including 19 foreigners, remained hospitalised yesterday, 26 of them in intensive care, according to a senior health official.

Three more victims, two women and one man, have succumbed to severe burns at Bangkok General Hospital, raising to 62 the death toll from the tragic accident, Narenthorn Emergency Centre's secretary-general Dr Chatree Charoenchevakul said yesterday.

Meanwhile the Rights and Liberties Protection Department (RLPD) yesterday promised to give the deceased victims' families about Bt80,000 per case in compensation and legal assistance if they wished to file lawsuits.

One of the victims, Wiphawan Thanompanyarak, 30, died at 9pm on Friday, and her body was sent to the Forensic Medicine Institute of the Police Hospital, from which her relatives have already reclaimed it. Yutthana Sinpaibulsilp, 26, died at 10.54pm, and the Bangkok General was contacting relatives to reclaim the body.

Another comatose victim, Wirachat Thienthong, 23, was pronounced dead at 3.10pm yesterday. She was also at Bangkok General.

Chatree said the Public Health Ministry would contact private hospitals to negotiate victims' medical expenses and urge the nightclubowner to take responsibility; if that was not possible, the matter would be forwarded to the Cabinet.

RLPD chief Suwana Suwanjutha said yesterday that her office was coordinating with police to give each of the families of those who died in the fire Bt30,000 for the death, Bt20,000 for funeral expenses and up to Bt30,000 in compensation for loss of future financial support. After police conclude the case, an RLPD subpanel will consider the compensation payment within 108 days, she added.

Yesterday afternoon, Suwana went to Ramathibodi and Rajvithi hospitals to notify the families entitled. She said they could also contact the RLPD for help on the 15th floor of the Justice Ministry in person and any wishing to file lawsuits over their losses could get legal assistance from the RLPD, which had a support fund for court and lawyers' fees.

Meanwhile, National Health Security Office (NHSO) secretary-general Winai Swasdivorn confirmed that NHSO subscribers injured in the fire could get emergency treatment under the universal health scheme at nearby hospitals, which would then be reimbursed from the NHSO fund before transferring them to the hospitals at which they were registered.

Thirteen victims of the Santika Pub fire have yet to be identified, prompting police to carry out DNA checks, Assistant Police CommissionerGeneral Pol Lt General Boonruang Pholphanit said yesterday.

Five unidentified bodies are at Chulalongkorn Hospital and eight at the Police Hospital.

Boonruang said police would use the same methods of disastervictim identification as for Tsunami victims, Xraying to detect traces of broken bones to compare with medical records. Boonruang urged relatives of those still missing to bring perฌsonal belongings to the DVI team for DNA samples to be compared with the bodies. DNA samples may also be taken from parents, he said.

The commander of Metropolitan Police Area 5, Pol Maj General Chokchai Deeprasertwit, said police had sent warrants for the interrogaฌtion of nightclub employees and that, if they did not show up after three warrants were sent, police could ask for arrest warrants. Police have not yet located Visuk Setsawad, a major shareholder in the Santika Club, he added.

A Suan Dusit Poll yesterday revealed that the Santika fire had caused fewer people to go out clubbing. The survey on 1,081 Bangkok nightclubgoers and workers from January 13, found that 70.78 per cent feared such a tragedy would occur at other night entertainment places believed to have poor safety, while 29.22 per cent said otherwise, on the grounds that it was a freak accident.

Some 59 per cent believed fewer people would go clubbing, out of fear or on parents' orders. Some 64 per cent believed partygoers would exercise more caution in selecting venues that met safety standards and would drink less. Over a third urged the authorities to get tough on nightclub licences while 23.22 per cent urged strict checks on safety standards and fire escapes, and 16.65 per cent called for fire drills at all venues.

-- The Nation 2009-01-04