Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

So my wife tells me that this page details the investors and the distributions and the profit for each year.

Seems odd since the club takes in 70 million baht and only has a 2 million baht profit. Is that right?

68 million Baht does seem rather high for the operating expenses of a night club. It would be interesting to see the books for this business.

I'm guessing they are getting gauged on the rent but you suspect there's some "washing" going on here?

I'm not going to conjecture about things that I can't back up or don't know anything about. Just seems like a lot of dough!

So my wife tells me that this page details the investors and the distributions and the profit for each year.

Seems odd since the club takes in 70 million baht and only has a 2 million baht profit. Is that right?

68 million Baht does seem rather high for the operating expenses of a night club. It would be interesting to see the books for this business.

I'm guessing they are getting gauged on the rent but you suspect there's some "washing" going on here?

I was doing Event Planning in Europe and considering the drinking prices of Santika of 160 Bath for a beer it is not unusual to have around $ 40,000 - $60,000 in gross sales per night. The gross annual sale of 68 million Bath seems right, but the net profit is way to little. It should be over 10 Million or

more easily

thanks Vincentc for your first hand comments - particularly the idea that a separate fire may have started concurrently on the roof. ...and don't get down on yourself for not doing more. It sounds like your sentiments and courage were in the right place. We could all look back on dramatic situations and think how we could have done things differently.

There are construction methods and materials that can lessen fire danger. When I build in Thailand, I don't use ceiling tiles (I go with open-beam), I use wood as little as possible (for 3 main reasons: fire danger, bugs/rot, and because don't want to cause trees to get felled). I go with masonry where possible.

Exits should be marked and well-placed. Ideally, there should be sprinkler systems installed, and DC-powered (battery) lights - especially at exits - which turn on automatically when there's danger.

Regardless of how much we consider the owners accountable, I hope they've got the decency to show their faces to the police and not "flee the scene" (as we're so used to hearing).

When I first heard the news about a fire in a nightclub in BKK, my first thoughts were of somewhere in Patpong or a run-down karaoke/massage joint in the backstreets. Came as a bit of a shock it was a much more (supposedly) modern venue.

May the victims of this horrible tragedy RIP.

Insight, while I don't think the owners will flee the scene long term, below is a link to the picture of one of the owners (Wisut) who is #66.

http://student.nu.ac.th/mayzaa_it4/HDJCLUB/racing.asp

Please note, and this is important, neither Wisut nor any of the other owners has been shown to be culpable for this fire. In fact, Wisut was in the club at the time and was one of the injured.

OMR, was just continuing on from the last post by SibeyMai:

I agree with that taxexile, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the owner. Not that I'm saying he's innocent I'm just saying there's probably more to it than that.

But as you say, it probably won't ammount to anything anyway.

Good point added after your edit about the police.

If the owner is not responsible, then who is ?

It's the owner's business. It's the owner who employs and pays the staff. It's the owner who buys a new Benz from the profits.

the owner is not the only person responsible in this case. Thong Lo police are responsible along with the BMA.

ALL OF THEM NEED OT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE WITH LONG PRISON TERMS AND LARGE COMPENSATION PAYMENTS TO THE VICTIMS AND JAIL TERMS COMENSURATE WITH THE SUFFERING THE VICTIMS WILL ENDURE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

I also agree with SibeyMai that the buck has to stop somewhere. I read one report (not sure if it was in BP or The Nation - will dig out on request) stating that the whole place was ablaze within 10 minutes of the first flames being spotted! Be the cause fireworks, sparklers, whatever, 10 minutes is a seriously short bit of time to allow people to escape.

Okay, you could argue that the owners were had no obligation to ensure adequate fire precautions had been installed as they were under no/limited legal obligation to do so, but that won't do much to console the friends and relatives of the victims and injured.

No Insight. I am not arguing anything. Just making the comment that, at least in my country, you are innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps it is different where you come from.

Are you aware that the BMA is responsible for checking fire safety conditions in buildings in Bangkok? They will also be defending themselves and it is quite possible the "buck" will stop in more than one place.

As far as theories go the ignition of the roof from an external source seems plausible. The timeline seems about right for the fire to be noticed around 12:15-12:20. If the fire was caused by fireworks and assuming fireworks were started at midnight this gives an incubation period of around 15 minutes. This is sufficient time for a fire on the external roof to take hold and spread within the roof and ceiling space without being obvious to those inside the building. It explains reports that flaming ceiling material fell down near the stage and near the entrance/exit shortly after. Was the roof waterproofed with a bitumen or tar based paint ? This would be highly flammable.

The theory about internal fireworks is also plausible but there are a number of issues to be resolved. How did the fire spread from the stage area to near the entrance/exit so fast ? How was the building engulfed so quickly ? patrons reported that lighting above the stage fell down (assume it was connected to the ceiling). If the soundproofing material on the ceiling was lit first from internal fireworks how did the supporting structure for the lights fail within 1-2 minutes ? It must have been attached to a substantial steel or timber support which should have been unaffected if subject to fire for only 1-2 minutes.

This makes me think that the fire must have been going going on unobserved for longer, up to 15 minutes which favours the external ignition theory.

Just saw the news on Channel 3 last night where the anchorlady pointed out that one of the shareholders of Santika was a high ranking policeman (possibly at Thong Lor?). I wonder if it was one of the names as per Matichon post above.

Regardless of how much we consider the owners accountable, I hope they've got the decency to show their faces to the police and not "flee the scene" (as we're so used to hearing).

When I first heard the news about a fire in a nightclub in BKK, my first thoughts were of somewhere in Patpong or a run-down karaoke/massage joint in the backstreets. Came as a bit of a shock it was a much more (supposedly) modern venue.

Insight, while I don't think the owners will flee the scene long term, below is a link to the picture of one of the owners (Wisut) who is #66.

Please note, and this is important, neither Wisut nor any of the other owners has been shown to be culpable for this fire. In fact, Wisut was in the club at the time and was one of the injured.

I agree with that taxexile, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be the owner. Not that I'm saying he's innocent I'm just saying there's probably more to it than that.

It's the owner's business. It's the owner who employs and pays the staff. It's the owner who buys a new Benz from the profits.

the owner is not the only person responsible in this case. Thong Lo police are responsible along with the BMA.

ALL OF THEM NEED OT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE WITH LONG PRISON TERMS AND LARGE COMPENSATION PAYMENTS TO THE VICTIMS AND JAIL TERMS COMENSURATE WITH THE SUFFERING THE VICTIMS WILL ENDURE FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

I also agree with SibeyMai that the buck has to stop somewhere. I read one report (not sure if it was in BP or The Nation - will dig out on request) stating that the whole place was ablaze within 10 minutes of the first flames being spotted! Be the cause fireworks, sparklers, whatever, 10 minutes is a seriously short bit of time to allow people to escape.

Okay, you could argue that the owners were had no obligation to ensure adequate fire precautions had been installed as they were under no/limited legal obligation to do so, but that won't do much to console the friends and relatives of the victims and injured.

No Insight. I am not arguing anything. Just making the comment that, at least in my country, you are innocent until proven guilty. Perhaps it is different where you come from.

Are you aware that the BMA is responsible for checking fire safety conditions in buildings in Bangkok? They will also be defending themselves and it is quite possible the "buck" will stop in more than one place.

OMR, I agree with innocent until proven guilty. But there is already enough evidence to show that Thong Lo police, the BMA and as yet unidentified owner/operators have broken the law.

Thong Lo police did not close the venue down for operating as a pub and not as a restaurant (proven by the fact that the venue was operating after midnight as a pub, not a restaurant).

BMA did not enforce closure due to below standard safety of the building.

Owner/operators continued operating without the appropriate permits and allowed underage patrons entry.

All of these facts have been established, albeit outside a court of law. It only remains to identify the individuals responsible.

1st person's account posted in another forum

I would like to share my experience with you guys when the night this incident happen. i was there and i am a Singaporean celebrating my new year countdown there.

Not long after the count down, the band started their normal route playing on the stage. my table was just about 4 meters away on the left hand side (just below the V.I.P area with table cushion) of the stage.

P311208_2220.jpg

This is my girlfriend which i took a photo of her and right behind is the performing stage. The mention "White Coffin" suppose to be the Disc Jockey playing station had already been move to the right hand side of the stage.

we were given i call it "fire sprinkle" before the countdown began and this is not the cause of fire. we enjoy while everybody in the club were waving it happily as the clock welcome the year 2009. It was an enjoyable moment and there is another pyrotechnics display outside the club. The pyrotechnics display were ignited on top of an old building opposite the club.

P010109_010001.jpg

P010109_0101.jpg

after the display finished outside the club, i and my gf enter back inside the club about 10 minutes later, misfortune incident happen. It was the house band when the incident happened. i am not sure who is the "smart guy" that plan this show because they tied a pyrotechnics infront the bass band. it was ignited when the singer jumped up. i was just 4meters away from the stage so i can see clearly that after ignition, the remain base of the pyrotechnics still on fire and in my mind i was wandering will it burn the stage? i lay my eyes on it and about 6-7 seconds later it died off. But less than 1 minutes, just above the roof of the stage, fire broke out fiercely. the singer and band started to run and people started moving towards the "only exist" as patronise/clubber known.

i hold my gf hand and walk in double pace towards the entrance. in my mind, i know that there should be enough time to get out if we happen to stay calm. but things were not as my predicted. the entrance being jammed and unmovable. with the smoke burning in fast, i detour a level down which is the toilet. upon entering the toilet, i can see people still cleaning their hands and washing their face unknowing what is happening outside? i can see a big size man not knowing his nationality looking surprise because my gf is with me when i enter the gent. at the end of the toilet, there is a big glass door which i taught there might be another entrance out but upon reaching, it was just another dead end.

i think to myself at this time that i shall not died here as it just the begining of the year. while i was thinking way to get out, the whole place blacked out. about 3-5minutes later, i say to myself that i should make a 2nd attempt out thinking the entrance should be cleared and without much consider i grap my gf hand and headed upwards toward the entrance again.

before climbing up the stair, i can see 2 ladies holding hands togather trying to make their way up but fell off trumbling down a small flight of stairs. another lady was seen sqauting at the stair crying and i make my way up to 1level. i can see many people were lying on the ground and the bodies were stacked up about 3 lying human height. it was a really impossible task to go thru as they are victims of a stampede. the atmostphere is smoking up and temperature rising so i pull my gf hand not letting go of her headed back to the toilet. she also fell because the visibility is very low and there are still people trying to get out. (the toilet and entrance is just a flight of stairs up and about 8meters distance to get outside)

the atmostphere inside the toilet is less smokey than outside so i took of my shirt and make it wet. we sitted on the floor just to lay low started putting water on our bodies and cover the wet shirt on our faces. there is a security/bouncer at that time staying togather with us in the toilet. he started to tell everybody in the toilet to stay calm as we will be safe here. there were about 20-30 persons stranded inside the gents not sure any inside the ladies.

the fire still burning on top of us and you can hear things falling down and i am worried that the roof of the toilet might not take it. everybody stay very quiet and observe the surrounding, i can see bright light outside and the only thing i can do now was chanting "Namo tassa".

about 20-30minutes later, i can felt a stream of warm water flowing down into the toilet on my buttock area and immediately know that the fire department had arrived. this told me i am only 40% safe and continue to sit quietly and wait.

about 10-15minutes later, 2 firemen came inside wearing breathing gear and i know that the fire already being control/extinguish. i grap my gf hand and with the advice of the fireman proceed out with caution climbing up the stair.

the first sence that i saw was a woman leg; body face down all charcoal and a man laying face up, both hand stiff pointing up. this man should be the one that i saw when i enter the gents while escaping because of his big size. further up were the stack of stampede bodies about 3 lying human body height at the entrance. we were lead out towards a wall that has been knock down on the other side.

there were 8 of us in this group, i'm the only Singaporean & my friends are all Thai. 2 of them manage to escape out when the fire started. 6 of us including me hided inside the toilet. 1 of the lady in my group was too shock had been sent to hospital for some light treatment. My GF has a wound on her left feet when she stepped on a burning debris. All of us were lucky to be alive.

i cried in my heart when i saw all the bodies lying at the entrance and the effort all Thai's civil servants had put in especially the Wat Hualumpong (Sam Yam) Medical Group. I went to Sam Yam today to do another donation and saw them pining up pictures of decease bodies from Santika which had been burnt to charcoal.

i went back to Santika yesterday night to lay flower and light candles for those decease. May they Rest In Peace. I Observed the building and conclude if there isn't a lower level toilet at that time, we will be in the list because everything on ground were burnt.

i post this because i happen to notice that a forum member friend brother was among the dead which i felt the family should know what had happened.

P010109_0022.jpg

My Group that Night

P311208_2222-1.jpg

Me and My GF

this is a Siam Amulet forum, should be wandering what i am wearing? It a 20baht tamboon Somjed with a sleep Buddha behind. This Temple is not far from LP Pae Temple. This Temple house a very huge sleeping buddha which i am also born at that day.

(Above article is my personel experience encounter just to share and hope others to know my personel situation. Sorry that i will not reply to any post)

I don't hold much hope for a transparent investigation. The Thong Lo police are not likely to make much progress investigating themselves.....

Wasn't it in Thong Lo (or certainly near there) that an entire city block of small-scale merchants were wiped out of business a few years ago - their little stalls, full with merchandise, smashed to bits by a hired mob(?) If memory serves, the local man who hired the mob was a massage parlor tycoon, and got off unscathed. The main reason he wasn't prosecuted was he publicly threatened to name names of corrupt city officials / policemen (affiliated with Thong Lo). Not only that, the mob leader went on to become a popular local politician - though it's doubtful he got votes from the merchants whose businesses he destroyed. I'm relieved I don't live in the Thong Lo area.

http://www.geocities.com/chainat_prov/4602...oi10razing.html

thanks Vincentc for your first hand comments - particularly the idea that a separate fire may have started concurrently on the roof. ...and don't get down on yourself for not doing more. It sounds like your sentiments and courage were in the right place. We could all look back on dramatic situations and think how we could have done things differently.

There are construction methods and materials that can lessen fire danger. When I build in Thailand, I don't use ceiling tiles (I go with open-beam), I use wood as little as possible (for 3 main reasons: fire danger, bugs/rot, and because don't want to cause trees to get felled). I go with masonry where possible.

Exits should be marked and well-placed. Ideally, there should be sprinkler systems installed, and DC-powered (battery) lights - especially at exits - which turn on automatically when there's danger.

Your assumption that concrete is more fireproof than wood is mistaken , A tree trunk will remain unburned in the center long after a similarly sized concrete pillar has disintegrated from heat.

Also, no one has stated the fire started inside, that is an assumption . the most recent testimony from Somluck ( or the post) says in fact the stage pyrotechnics went out

"...i lay my eyes on it and about 6-7 seconds later it died off. But less than 1 minutes, just above the roof of the stage, fire broke out fiercely. the singer and band started to run and people started moving towards the "only exist" as patronise/clubber known..."

VincentC's eyewitness testimony has the fire starting on the roof from adjacent fireworks. This explains the rapidity of the fire spreading and the ceiling falling.

Sorry , but I"m thinking maybe no one is to blame in this .. other than a Thai propensity for use of flying fireworks that is legal. Seems there was some lighting after the main lighting went out , though it's not clear if this was emergency lighting.

Edited by HorseDoctor

I would like to share my experience with you guys when the night this incident happen. i was there and i am a Singaporean celebrating my new year countdown there.

(Above article is my personel experience encounter just to share and hope others to know my personel situation. Sorry that i will not reply to any post)

That is an amazing account. I didn't realize that there were people waiting inside for so long that were able to survive. Luck and very smart thinking kept this man and his friends alive.

Also, the official news keeps saying it was started inside. However, eyewitness reports here state that is possible it started from fireworks that fell on top of the building. I hope the police fire investigators are getting those reports and will include them in their study of the scene.

Edited by Jimjim

"It was an enjoyable moment and there is another pyrotechnics display outside the club. The pyrotechnics display were ignited on top of an old building opposite the club."

It would be useful to know who lit the "pyrotechnics" display opposite the club, and learn more details about it.

Thank you Vince and Somluck for the first-hand accounts of your ordeal. It sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for the new year. My heart-felt sympathy to those who were not as lucky.

I was doing Event Planning in Europe and considering the drinking prices of Santika of 160 Bath for a beer it is not unusual to have around $ 40,000 - $60,000 in gross sales per night. The gross annual sale of 68 million Bath seems right, but the net profit is way to little. It should be over 10 Million or

more easily

I cannot confirm anything. IMHO the number is about right.

The share holders are mostly Bangkok elite Chinese rich kids who drive fancy cars (some even have Ferrari) that often park in front of the club. They don't expect much returns for their invest. Most of them do it for fun, with their spare cash given by their parents. Managment is loose (hence the low profit), and share holders oftens let their friend in for free, and even free drinks. The bulk of the money also goes to police, authorities, rent and the entertainers, which is very expensive. Like Bad Boy Joey, who is playing that night.

Wasn't it in Thong Lo (or certainly near there) that an entire city block of small-scale merchants were wiped out of business a few years ago - their little stalls, full with merchandise, smashed to bits by a hired mob(?) If memory serves, the local man who hired the mob was a massage parlor tycoon, and got off unscathed....

Chuwit Kamolvisit: Thug, MP, ex-MP, 3rd in Bangkok governor elections in 2004 and 2008. Lovely chap.

gallery_35489_956_7796.jpg

Chuwit claim that police corruption is common in the entertainment industry

"Chuwit insists he paid millions to many policemen in many different precincts. Trays of Rolex watches and plastic bags full of cash allegedly changed hands."

http://www.tomvater.com/chuwit.html

more easily

The share holders are mostly Bangkok elite Chinese rich kids who drive fancy cars (some even have Ferrari) that often park in front of the club. They don't expect much returns for their invest. Most of them do it for fun, with their spare cash given by their parents. Managment is loose (hence the low profit), and share holders oftens let their friend in for free, and even free drinks. The bulk of the money also goes to police, authorities, rent and the entertainers, which is very expensive. Like Bad Boy Joey, who is playing that night.

The owners could be paying themselves any amount they wish or giving out anything they wish to themselves in 'shareholders dividends'. They could hire a table and chair off a friendly supplier for 1 million baht to have 950 K come straight back to them in cash. The profits they declare are just the sums of money they are resigned to paying taxes on.

Somluck (I think you should change your name to lotsofluck)

That is a very dramatic account, thank you. I sincerely hope that time will help heal both yourself and your gf. I think you both owe your lives to your ability to keep a cool head when everyone else was starting to (naturally) panic. Good Luck

Thank you for putting this post up and sharing this with us all.

I think the question is not with the amount of money made, but with the large difference between the earnings (about 70 million baht) and the relatively low net profit (2 million baht). In other words, how do the operating expenses of a night club account for about 68 million baht.

EDIT - As Tiggs mentioned, the owners could be paying themselves very high salaries (likely) and dividends to shareholders.

Edited by oevna

You have things similar to this in the Uk with the train disasters a few years back, the result is the same, spend millions on an inquiry and identify all the faults then pass it onto the government who pretend to take action but dont and then low and behold 4-5 years later its repeated again and followed by the usual "why weren't lessons learnt" type headlines. Time makes people forget otherwise there would'nt be more wars.. the war to end all wars etc etc. Same with anything like this people are generally lazy and greedy and "it wont ever happen to them" :o

As soon as things are left to"forces of the market" safety will be scrimped upon.

Because it does not bring any gain, it only brings cost.

Now, a few days later, interesting things come to light:

- no more insurance;

- no safety implements;

- illegal business

- owner gone with the winds;

- and so on

Now guess with me: owners are..........

I agree with you and it sucks to start the NYR off like this. I used to frequent this club in the past and they do cram the place unitl it's packed as every other venue, bus, etc. This goes for other clubs on Silom Soi 4 etc..

My heart goes out to the people and their families.

As nationalistic as the people are here, they really don't seem to care about safety, the environment, education, and the list goes on!

It makes me sick to see such negligence.

RIP :o

This is sad news for Thailand.

Speaking of being nationalistic and all....

What do you think the reason was for the Police to initially state the many of the victims were foreigners?

This one is easy and it has absolutely nothing to do with nationalism.

There is no question that the police, on scene and talking to firemen, knew most of the victims were Thai. However, with the media swarming, they needed to buy time from locals to get a better understanding of how this club, licensed as a food establishment that was required to close by midnight, was allowed to continue to operate as a nightclub for more than 4 years. Soon after they announced that they didn't want the Santika to operate, but the administrative court issued an injunction 4 years prior that was still in force that they had to obey. The comment on foreigners has not been made again.

Right now, the Adm. Court's explanation is awaited and it should be made within a day or two.

There is a lot of unanswered questions, many to do with culpability for this tragedy and many to do with how this club was allowed to operate in the first place.

For me it has everything to do with nationalism. That statement was predicated on the notion that Thais would care less about foreigners dying than locals. Their attention would be diverted if the majority of deaths were foreigners.

We see this completely differently. To me, the initial comments by the police about more foreigners being involved than Thai's (not true) was to allay the fears of Thai parents until the police had time to sort out which kids were dead and injured. It bought time. To you, it was based on your beliefs that Thais care less about foreigners than Thais. OK, perhaps, but I still don't think that was the basis for the comment. Let's agree to disagree.

OMR, I agree with innocent until proven guilty. But there is already enough evidence to show that Thong Lo police, the BMA and as yet unidentified owner/operators have broken the law.

Thong Lo police did not close the venue down for operating as a pub and not as a restaurant (proven by the fact that the venue was operating after midnight as a pub, not a restaurant).

BMA did not enforce closure due to below standard safety of the building.

Owner/operators continued operating without the appropriate permits and allowed underage patrons entry.

All of these facts have been established, albeit outside a court of law. It only remains to identify the individuals responsible.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on this, but it is for the court's to decide, not us.

Immediately, I thought the police were as much at fault as anyone else, but then it has been reported that the Thong Lo police have been on a legal crusade to close this place down. They tried to not allow it to open, the Administrative Court issued an injunction to allow it to open, the Supreme Administrative Court agreed and then the Thong Lo police filed a new case to close it down, which is still pending. At present, the Thong Lo police are starting to look like the good guys, which runs counter of what I would have thought.

Best to let the people that do this for a living sort this all out and file appropriate charges.

I think the question is not with the amount of money made, but with the large difference between the earnings (about 70 million baht) and the relatively low net profit (2 million baht). In other words, how do the operating expenses of a night club account for about 68 million baht.

EDIT - As Tiggs mentioned, the owners could be paying themselves very high salaries (likely) and dividends to shareholders.

Just so you and Tiggs know, dividends are paid out of net profits, not out of operating income.

Now, what does the profitability of Santika have to do with this horrible tragedy?

Shame to see PM Abhisit, an educated man publicly sidestep the important saftey issues such as emergency exits and sprinkers systems by saying that fire crackers should not be bought into clubs, what a cop-out.

sriracha john:Was the fire cracker remark his only discussion of the topic? No.

hamishgillan:so why dont you provide some enlightment rather that a cutting retort mr.bigman

I swear i'm going to shut down my thaivisa account soon and say goodbye to this pathetic heirachy which seems only to dampen your attitude towards the locals who we have to live with, if this nonsense carrys on.

Edited by hamishgillan

Now, what does the profitability of Santika have to do with this horrible tragedy?

It is slightly off-topic. Somebody pointed out the large difference between earnings and net profit, as mentioned in the article that I posted listing the shareholders and annual financial information, and we were just responding to that. Apologies if it is side-tracking the discussion.

If big profits were being put before safety, then people should know.

As it seems, by the figures it wasn't making a lot of money, but one would suspect that there has been a bit of book cooking going on.