Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

Santika Club at Ekamai was on fire during the New Year celebration - early reports have at least 50 injured, and up to 50 dead.

I could see the flames from my window - needless to say they were fierce.

More as I hear of it.

Edited by onethailand

how is this not in the english media? jesus they take teh night off?

Must be in the English media. My phone's been spewing worried SMSs for the last 15 minutes. Bad scene. Really.

i live near thong lo and we were hearing sirens like mad since atleast an hour ago. news like this should take somewhere between 3-5 minutes to have online.

From the BBC News website...

"At least 53 people have been killed in a fire in a nightclub in the Thai capital, Bangkok, police said, quoted by Reuters news agency.

More than 100 others were injured in the blaze, which broke out as people took part in New Year's Eve celebrations, the agency reports.

A Thai police official told Reuters the cause had not yet been determined.

A witness told the BBC that he had seen a number of bodies being carried away from the club, named as the Santika.

The witness, Andrew Jones, said survivors leaving the club told him the fire broke out on the stage after fireworks were lit just after midnight.

He said the club was popular with foreigners and locals alike.

The club had only one main exit, at the front, and many people had been trapped inside, he said. "

link to page here

rows of bodies being shown on TNN.

Official count at present remains 53 on site, 2 in hospitals.

Injury count still speculative - local reports say at least 50 and have done so for the last two hours. Wonder where Reuters/BBC/Sky got their numbers from.

Eerily, the sign at the front of the club said "Goodbye Santika 2009" - I thought it was some mistake, but it turns out that the club was indeed being closed down as the owners elected not to renew the lease, and this was the last night.

Edited by onethailand

Police said they were investigating what sparked the fire in the two-storey building, an upmarket nightclub.

"We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away," one woman told Reuters news agency.

One man told the BBC that survivors leaving the club told him the fire broke out on the stage after fireworks were lit just after midnight.

SO SAD :o

Saw it on yahoo news. Checked Bangkok Post and the Nation websites and I guess their staff is still partying. Nothing there yet.

Shocked but not shocked. If something like this can happen in the U.S. like it did a few years back in Rhode Island, it can happen in Bangkok where clubs often pack beyond capacity.

I know this club well, never been there during opening hours, but spent six hours inside shooting an Indian commercial there a couple of years ago. I know it's a popular club on Ekkamai road, and my ex-girlfriend liked to go there and it was the favorite of some of her friends and others I knew. Tata Young liked to have concerts there sometimes.

Very sad tragedy for New Year's. I always wondered if the huge fireworks at midnight on New Year's Day last year I saw from the top of a big apartment building near Ekkamai were coming from Santika. Evidently every year you see big fireworks from some club on Ekkamai. Maybe not Santika, but that would explain this bad accident. Horrible, just horrible.