Fire At Santika Night Club

onethailand

Just as an aside. In the US, since sprinklers were mandated ( ...and checked regularly) in hotels, there has not been one fatality.

Some cultures revere life, others don't.

It's just the posturing of Tland as a safe place that gets me..Tourists are really clueless to the realities.

There have been club fires with high fatalities in the U.S. But, there were also transparent investigations, new regulatory code, and convictions as well.

Thailand has miserable record on enforcing fire safety and prevention in public buildings.

Many will recall the tragic fire at Jomtien, Pattaya when 91 tourists were killed in a hotel. It transpired that all the emergency exit doors had been locked.

In the past 3 years in Pattaya, there has been at least club/disco 3 fires. The X –Zyte, and Hollywood disco fires had no fatalities, but in 2007 the Disco 999 went up in smoke and 9 people died. The fire broke out early in the evening when there were few customers and if it had happened later, many more people would have probably died.

Following this, fire the Mayor of Pattaya vowed to take action to enforce fire safety measures and close down establishments that didn't comply. Of course nothing was done, and many clubs & discos, such as Lucifers are total death traps. I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.

When is this country going to wake up and start enforcing building regulations, including adequate fire safety systems, and proper, ACCESSABLE and UNLOCKED fire exits.

My deepest condolences to the relatives and friends of those that lost their lives in this totally unnecessary tragedy.

And sue the BMA for millions – it will be the only way to bring a change in the corrupt administration and get the fire rules enforced.

Thailand has miserable record on enforcing fire safety and prevention in public buildings.

When is this country going to wake up and start enforcing building regulations, including adequate fire safety systems, and proper, ACCESSABLE and UNLOCKED fire exits.

There is also no regulations for emissions or at least that are effectively enforced which is why the air is unbreathable. When I first started coming to Thailand I felt free and enjoyed the lack of regulations and mai bphen rai but in time I came to see the value of the rule of law and actually enforcing these laws. Thailand is a fun place when everything goes right but any type of emergency and it's 3rd world colors start to present themselves. I think there needs to be a true crackdown about following laws when it comes to safety and the environment if Thailand ever wants to be a real player amongst nations.

My condolences to the deceased.

Edited by wasabi

Santika ( spainish language ) = Beauty of the nature

It's NOT a Spanish word, neither Thai.

It sounds Indonesian to me.

R.I.P.

Quote from the Santika club website:

"The name "Santika" was derived from a Spanish word "San-ti-ka" which mean "Beautiful of Nature. Santika pub&restaurant is inspired by nature ,and position it self to be Thailand’s first entertainment outlet that innovatively blends the comfort of nature with the excitement of the Bangkok nightlife.Lastly, Santika has the best vision that goes straight to cath up the customer’s expextation, Which is "The Future of Entertainment.""

This discussion seems irrelevant, or not.

If the management of Santika lies about the Spanish origin of the name is an indication of how they have managed the business.

My condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Just as an aside. In the US, since sprinklers were mandated ( ...and checked regularly) in hotels, there has not been one fatality.

It's just the posturing of Tland as a safe place that gets me..Tourists are really clueless to the realities.

Have you ever heard of Great White? They were playing a concert in a nightclub in Rhode Island when their pyrotechnics caused a fire, that resulted in 100 people dead and another 200 injured. And this happened in 2003.

There have been club fires with high fatalities in the U.S. But, there were also transparent investigations, new regulatory code, and convictions as well.

The problem here is lack of enforcement of existing codes. This type of tragedy wasn't supposed to happen again in Thailand after Kader (May 1993). As long as building codes aren't enforced these things will continue to happen in Thailand.

all of us who have spent any time in nighclubs know this is a risk we take. I think you would have to be very carefree not to have ever considered this possibility. 5 years without major incident is a miracle. Just be aware it could have been any of us in any place.

Maybe we should start naming and shaming. Ive seen padlocks on several emergency exits across the city.

A new thread perhaps.

A terrible tragedy.

Yes. dam_n good idea. Join the Facebook group DJs & clubbers for safer clubbing venues.

DJs & clubbers for safer clubbing venues

I can only express my sadness and condolences for the families of the bereaved.

The Emergency Services in Thailand did a very good job, as good as in the west, there young men went into the blazing building as a rescue team, the Police co-ordinated and recovered the fatalities, the ambulances were on continuous standby to take injured to Hospital.

Someone commented on lack of oxygen, well my retort is 'were you there'....... no..!!!

Armchair forensics and would be analysts 'supposedly expert', would be best to refrain from commenting at this sad time; remember that young people set off last night to bring a in a New 2009. They tragically died, so out of respect for them and their families please stop the speculation and wait until the official report into the fire is known.

Police said they were investigating what sparked the fire in the two-storey building, an upmarket nightclub.

"We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away," one woman told Reuters news agency.

One man told the BBC that survivors leaving the club told him the fire broke out on the stage after fireworks were lit just after midnight.

SO SAD :o

01bangkok.600.jpg

BANGKOK — A fire at a high-end Bangkok nightclub killed at least 59 people and injured more than 200 shortly after midnight Thursday as revelers were celebrating the new year, the police said.

Nightclub workers said fireworks had been set off around the midnight countdown, but the cause of the fire has not been determined, according to Lt. Sutin Pongkhamphan, the police officer in charge of the case.

He said 54 people died at the scene at the popular club, the Santika, and that five more died at hospitals. An additional 212 people were injured, 21 severely.

Police Major Akaluk Siriyodsophon, the officer in charge of the local precinct station, said 39 bodies had been identified by Thursday afternoon — 38 Thais and one Singaporean. He said the deaths were about equally divided between men and women.

Of the injured, the police said, 35 were foreigners, including people from Australia, Britain, Korea, Singapore and the United States.

Forensic work continued Thursday evening, police officials said. Scores of bodies were laid out on the street in white sheets in front of the blackened nightclub. Sirens sounded throughout the night in the crowded streets of central Bangkok.

“We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away,” Oh Benjamas, a partygoer, told Reuters. “People started running for the doors and breaking the windows.”

Most of the deaths and injuries were caused by a stampede in the three-story club, which has one main exit and was packed with about 1,000 people, Lieutenant Sutin said. Other deaths came from burns and smoke inhalation. “The fire spread very quickly because there was a lot of fuel in the club, like alcohol, foam and balloons,” he said.

One employee said that explosions were heard shortly after the New Year countdown, according to The Nation newspaper Web site. “After the explosions, someone shouted, ‘Fire!’” the employee said. He said the fire had started on the top floor and spread quickly, sending smoke through the building and causing panic.

The New Year’s Eve party was advertised as “Bad Boy Party” on the club’s Web site. It also called the party “Goodbye Santika,” apparently because the owner was planning to move to a new location.

The Santika, in the city’s Ekamai district, is popular with the local Thai and foreign jet set. “It attracts an affluent Thai student crowd, with Euro models and Westerners also popping in,” according to one Thai entertainment Web site.

In the words of another site: “Beautiful music. Beautiful lights. Beautiful babes. Beautiful dudes. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.” The Web site adds: “This is a place to go and display yourself. You wanna be seen? You can’t go wrong with this place.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/world/as....html?ref=world

...its a shocking video so you might not want to see it.

When I first watched these videos I had mixed emotions about the intent of the cameraman. But then I realized the story has to be told. And although the cameraman is a retired doctor, there is likely little that he could have done beyond what was already being done. There were no tools at his disposal such as emergency oxygen, or even water to cool the skin of burn victims. You do see him attempting to take vital signs of an burned girl, but Thai EMT's arrive and actually tell him in Thai to get away. Read his postings on youtube and you can sense his anguish and desire he had to help...

..We all want to help. But in the panic it is difficult to know how. My hope is the terrible images the cameraman has captured will make some difference in fire safety not just in Thailand, but around the world. From what I've seen it is the only video of this tragedy so far.

...I commend the cameraman for being on the spot, as sad as this tragedy was. This video may be the only video of the disaster and can probably be used for evidence in the future.

.. If that was my friend on the floor Id be only too pleased to see she was at least still alive. I hope she recovers. The cameraman is doing a good job of documenting what happened although it is rather shaky it could be useful in the aftermath to see who did what when why etc...

My heart goes to all the people affected by this tragedy, an awful start to a new year.

The mentioned footage is probably invaluable, and now in the public domain.

It shows the Thai emergency response as being a lot better than I would have expected in downtown Bangkok on new years with who-knows-how-big traffic jams (posts indicate many places nearby also evacuated and crammed the streets). The footage also shows the dedication of the emergency workers, something not seen as often as it should be.

The fireman sprinting through the streets with the girl on his back to meet an ambulance before it has even arrived was particulalry moving, but also inspiring, as it shows his overpowering urge to get her help and save her life. I too hope she survived. I also hope the fireman is commended for such a response.

Good points yabaaaa. I first saw internet imagery like this when my friend was missing after the Bali thing. I was initally horrified but then grateful that such images were avialable to search. I spent a long time looking through them, as they were the only resource to find her during the waiting (I didn't know about forums then). I was hoping to find her standing by untouched/being treated. The not knowing/imagining was far worse than anything I saw. I was relieved for every person in an image I saw that wasn't bably hurt, as they gave me hope there could be one more - hopefully her.

After she was found I was with her when the police interviewed her and took copies of her photos from that and the following days. They explained they were looking for things and other people in the images could provide evidence to help solve what had happened.

I feel more confident in Thai emergency workers than I did before seeing this. I hope is that this footage (and others) will be used to help with investigations, promote fire safety, assist finding missing loved ones, and be used by emergency response management to commend thier personnel and to analyse their response with an aim to improvement. I hope the legacy of this awful event leads to a safer Thailand, and one better equipped for emergencies.

the band Burn had not yet played , on event nights they are scheduled after the main stars , at the time of fire it was Joey Boy and an MC on stage.

The DJ's were interviewed live on Channel 3 today. They confirm that at the time of the fire, the band 'Burn' were on stage.

Comparing Thailand to the US in any way, shape, or form in regards to similarities on this latest incident is absolutely absurd. You must either be a hater of Westerners (the US) or have no idea of one of the two countries.

I have a residence in both places and spend most of my time in Bangkok. Although I love Thailand, I can assure you that there is no comparison when it comes to safety, pollution, corruption, and a few other things. It sickens me when something like this happens that members of this board claim it happens everywhere and that Thailand is no different.

The whole incident here is just awful on many levels. There are issues that need to be addressed, but they won't happen overnight (especially here in this country). The above response that basically says "Hey, bad fires happen in the US...so what's the big deal? Both countries have issues." does absolutely nothing but posture Bangkok as mainstream and normal...which is certainly won't do anything to clean things up.

Continued views that this is okay and happens in Western societies as well will do nothing for the advancement in safety, pollution, corruption, etc...in Thailand.

The point is not to criticize Thailand for the sake of criticism, but to point out inadequacies to rectify some of the shortcomings...SO THINGS LIKE THIS ARE MINIMIZED IN THE FUTURE. Many (and several on this board) take a true offense to constructive comments about Thailand and feel it is necessary to defend with comments saying that other countries (using the US is a favorite) have a problem as well. Turning a blind eye will not help this situation or others.

There is a very clear difference between the US, Euros, Aussies, etc...when it comes to safety, pollution, and corruption. Let's use some of them as benchmarks and improve Thailand rather than pointing out the problems in those countries. Those countries certainly have issues in these areas, but their safety records and environs are like padded rooms in comparison...

the band Burn had not yet played , on event nights they are scheduled after the main stars , at the time of fire it was Joey Boy and an MC on stage.

The DJ's were interviewed live on Channel 3 today. They confirm that at the time of the fire, the band 'Burn' were on stage.

there was a telephone video of the stage when fire broke just minutes ago on TV , Burn was not on stage , the MC was

Comparing Thailand to the US in any way, shape, or form in regards to similarities on this latest incident is absolutely absurd. You must either be a hater of Westerners (the US) or have no idea of one of the two countries.

I have a residence in both places and spend most of my time in Bangkok. Although I love Thailand, I can assure you that there is no comparison when it comes to safety, pollution, corruption, and a few other things. It sickens me when something like this happens that members of this board claim it happens everywhere and that Thailand is no different.

The whole incident here is just awful on many levels. There are issues that need to be addressed, but they won't happen overnight (especially here in this country). The above response that basically says "Hey, bad fires happen in the US...so what's the big deal? Both countries have issues." does absolutely nothing but posture Bangkok as mainstream and normal...which is certainly won't do anything to clean things up.

Continued views that this is okay and happens in Western societies as well will do nothing for the advancement in safety, pollution, corruption, etc...in Thailand.

The point is not to criticize Thailand for the sake of criticism, but to point out inadequacies to rectify some of the shortcomings...SO THINGS LIKE THIS ARE MINIMIZED IN THE FUTURE. Many (and several on this board) take a true offense to constructive comments about Thailand and feel it is necessary to defend with comments saying that other countries (using the US is a favorite) have a problem as well. Turning a blind eye will not help this situation or others.

There is a very clear difference between the US, Euros, Aussies, etc...when it comes to safety, pollution, and corruption. Let's use some of them as benchmarks and improve Thailand rather than pointing out the problems in those countries. Those countries certainly have issues in these areas, but their safety records and environs are like padded rooms in comparison...

Is this bickering or what ? Please read again. All I'm saying is where there is adequate concern for life, like in US, where I lived laws and regulations are enacted and enforced ( or if not , convctions follow. ) In 3 years of living in Thailand there have been 2 major fires and nothing has happened to prevent another .

I would ask you Please stop bickering remember those that died, if it were one of yours, you'd not be bickering now, respect those lives that have been tragically lost. Do not involve this thread in suposedly safty issue comparisons between countries, 61 people, many young died.................. have compassion...!!!!! :o

R.I.P.

Quote from the Santika club website:

"The name "Santika" was derived from a Spanish word "San-ti-ka" which mean "Beautiful of Nature. Santika pub&restaurant is inspired by nature ,and position it self to be Thailand's first entertainment outlet that innovatively blends the comfort of nature with the excitement of the Bangkok nightlife.Lastly, Santika has the best vision that goes straight to cath up the customer's expextation, Which is "The Future of Entertainment.""

Who cares?

just what I was thinking - condolences to all the Families and Friends on this sad day

Aromsia, start a post about the 'fires' etc in Rhode Island............. this thread is about the sad deaths of young people in the fire in a Bangkok nightclub that claimed those young lives.

Please note, not about the US, but sadness in Thailand that is felt all over the Country............... express yourself somewhere else....

with those conspiracy pics you can also find something to relate the people in the pics to something. One of my Korean colleagues doesn't like the Eagles because her Christian friends said they were evil but couldn't figure out why. It's because one of the people on the album cover is supposedly Satan. I knew some people whose parents wouldn't let them listen to them. The world could do without Hotel California.

I'm glad that I found out here that the performers I know are safe. I looked on their myspaces and they haven't logged in for days so I was worried.

This was all on topic and my feelings and semi-related concerns are all serious.

Snuggzzz

If you see my previous post (not the one just deleted) you'll realize that I am as sickened by this as you are. It's human nature to start asking questions about how this happened. But that's something that some people just don't want us to do - not here anyway. And the problem is this:

In Thailand if you or I don't ask the tough questions - then believe me - no one else ever will. And every person who's lived here longer than a year or two will know that for sure.

As I said, I 'think' this is just a tragic accident...but we need more than condolences. Eyewitness reports etc or needed. But they are being taken away. Why is that? Oh and one more thing - if it was my relative that was killed in that horror - I (or a family appointee) would be taking in every piece of info I could get..wouldn't you?

Edited by aromsia

R.I.P.

Not that it matters, cause after this terrible, horrific accident - Santika is no more...

But, in my opinion, it might be an ebreviation from the girls name "Santanika" which means "Blade of a sword", or, come from the word Santana (The name of a popular band, but also a Spanish mix-word for Saint Anna)... Well, I don't know, and dont really care, but I am in Denmark right now, and this have kept me up most of the night, digging for news and pictures - Luckily I went home for christmas, otherwise, I might have attended that party... Hope none of my friends in BKK attended though - Still waiting to hear from them...

with those conspiracy pics you can also find something to relate the people in the pics to something. One of my Korean colleagues doesn't like the Eagles because her Christian friends said they were evil but couldn't figure out why. It's because one of the people on the album cover is supposedly Satan. I knew some people whose parents wouldn't let them listen to them. The world could do without Hotel California.

I'm glad that I found out here that the performers I know are safe. I looked on their myspaces and they haven't logged in for days so I was worried.

This was all on topic and my feelings and semi-related concerns are all serious.

What are you talking about ????? Many People lost their lives less than 24 hours ago in Bangkok and you are talking about Satan on a record cover.

safe performers - <deleted> is wrong with you?

Horrible. RIP to all those who lost their lives and my condolences to family and friends.

It reminds me of an incident in Shenzhen, China just a few months ago and the similarities are striking.

China nightclub fire in Shenzhen kills 43

A fire in a nightclub has killed 43 people in the Chinese border city of Shenzhen in the latest post-Olympics disaster to hit the country. The blaze was sparked by a fireworks show that was part of the stage act on the third floor of the illegal King of the Dancers club.

Roman candles set fire to the ceiling, and as the fire spread the lights short-circuited, plunging the club into darkness.

Revellers rushed for the doors, but those who made it became trapped in narrow corridors and were crushed in the stampede.

Shenzhen is the economic "new city" on the border with Hong Kong which in the space of less than three decades has exploded from a small rundown town to a metropolis of 10 million people.

It is the richest town per head of population in the country, but is also known for its "wild west" traits. Fortunes are made overnight from its mixture of high-tech industries, sweatshops, prostitution and crime.

In microcosm it is an example of the difficulties of maintaining the rule of law in a system that is changing far more rapidly than systems of governance.

The deaths occurred as China is reeling from two other scandals - the sale of large quantities of milk, particularly baby formula, that was tainted with the poisonous plastic melamine to disguise the fact that it was sub-standard, and the collapse of a slag heap at an illegal mine that killed at least 250 people.

Provincial authorities launched an immediate inquiry into the causes of the nightclub accident, promising to "appease the victims' families and maintain social order", a reflection of the anger such incidents can cause.

The owner was being questioned by police, while 51 people were hospitalised.

"There was only a narrow aisle," said Yang Zhi, a member of staff. "Many people got hurt in the stampede.

You would think club owners would pay attention to stories like this and make sure their own venues are adequate in terms of fire escapes and precautions.

If they did allow fireworks inside after knowing about these previous tragedies (shenzhen just a few months ago and Rhode Island back in 2003) then they really are stupid, have complete disregard for human life and should be held accountable.

Edited by Treborz