Whats The Best To Grow?

fezman

Hi all ,just wanted to ask some advice on what to plant on a ten rai block bout 40ks east of KK ,it has euycaliptus trees on it now ,ready to cut down .

when the land is cleared we want to put something new on it but dont know what.would love some ideas from you guys .

I am not worried about making a fast buck,so some good trees for timber maybe , and also what are argawood trees ?.

thanks heaps ,fez

Hi all ,just wanted to ask some advice on what to plant on a ten rai block bout 40ks east of KK ,it has euycaliptus trees on it now ,ready to cut down .

when the land is cleared we want to put something new on it but dont know what.would love some ideas from you guys .

I am not worried about making a fast buck,so some good trees for timber maybe , and also what are argawood trees ?.

thanks heaps ,fez

You'll need heavy equipment or enormous amount of labor to get the plot cleaned of the destructive Euc's (they sure look like blum gum everything I see but I'm probably wrong). I removed about a couple of rai worth back in the stone ages the trees averaged about over a meter in diameter so it was extremely labor intensive as it was just a saw and a 3/4 ton pick-up and my buddy and I. Someone else was responsible for the sub-terranean clearing of the plot.

If you get all that garbage roots and all off your land figure it'll take you at least a couple of years of intensive methods of hopefully organic and sustainable and cost effective rehabilitation of your extremely debilitated (Euc's are no good in any mass plantings for the soil beneath them) mother earth to start to think about planting some sort of long term or multi-term forestation project. 10 rai is definitely enough land for you to spend a couple of years researching and rehabilitating your place to make you proud and busy in what you are going to attempt. You've got to figure nearly 25 years for "lumber" production but there obviously are more rapidly productive plantings that could be incorporated to allow you to get some return sooner you'll have to browse thriough this extremely informative section of Thaivisa and see what others have said in regards to many aspects of this particular subject and farming and soils subjects in general. try to keep your parcel organic as it is easily accomplished in what you are trying to do. A good start will be to look at green manuring (an extremely satisfying start into the world of agriculture and the basis of how mother nature has been creating the magic of what we call life in this world).

On the bottom left of this section you'll see a box that you can search for a subject just punch in Agarwood and it will take you to many links. i believe the U of Minnesota in the US developed a strain of the tree that allows it to be harvested extremely young and the wood has the fragrance similar to the older indigenous trees of Thailand that are so prized for this fragrant wood. Good luck and plant a few coconuts near the corners immediately as it will give you great satisfaction in seeing something growing extremely fast on your place, throw a little manure around them when the rainy seasons comes and enjoy and have fun. The earth is your canvas enjoy painting a beautiful picture. Choke Dee

thanks heaps ,fez

You'll need heavy equipment or enormous amount of labor to get the plot cleaned of the destructive Euc's (they sure look like blum gum everything I see but I'm probably wrong). I removed about a couple of rai worth back in the stone ages the trees averaged about over a meter in diameter so it was extremely labor intensive as it was just a saw and a 3/4 ton pick-up and my buddy and I. Someone else was responsible for the sub-terranean clearing of the plot.

If you get all that garbage roots and all off your land figure it'll take you at least a couple of years of intensive methods of hopefully organic and sustainable and cost effective rehabilitation of your extremely debilitated (Euc's are no good in any mass plantings for the soil beneath them) mother earth to start to think about planting some sort of long term or multi-term forestation project. 10 rai is definitely enough land for you to spend a couple of years researching and rehabilitating your place to make you proud and busy in what you are going to attempt. You've got to figure nearly 25 years for "lumber" production but there obviously are more rapidly productive plantings that could be incorporated to allow you to get some return sooner you'll have to browse thriough this extremely informative section of Thaivisa and see what others have said in regards to many aspects of this particular subject and farming and soils subjects in general. try to keep your parcel organic as it is easily accomplished in what you are trying to do. A good start will be to look at green manuring (an extremely satisfying start into the world of agriculture and the basis of how mother nature has been creating the magic of what we call life in this world).

On the bottom left of this section you'll see a box that you can search for a subject just punch in Agarwood and it will take you to many links. i believe the U of Minnesota in the US developed a strain of the tree that allows it to be harvested extremely young and the wood has the fragrance similar to the older indigenous trees of Thailand that are so prized for this fragrant wood. Good luck and plant a few coconuts near the corners immediately as it will give you great satisfaction in seeing something growing extremely fast on your place, throw a little manure around them when the rainy seasons comes and enjoy and have fun. The earth is your canvas enjoy painting a beautiful picture. Choke Dee

thanks heaps mate ,sounds like I have a lot of research to do but your post has definetly inspired me ,love the idea bout the coconut trees .

cheers bro and chok dee to you and happy new year

I'm not an experienced farmer in Thailand, so I don't know how to answer your question. But I am an experienced at tree removal and some tree crops. Foreverford has some good observations; but I want to offer an alternative to the very intensive and expensive operation that he has proposed.

Eucs will resprout after they are cut; so one option is to grow Eucs again; harvest at the beginning of rainy season (so the stumps will get water and resprout readily) and sell off what you have, leave the stumps in the ground, fertilize and let them grow up again. The coppice sprouts will grow very fast with an existing root system, thin them in a year or two and sell the stems that you thin, leave one stem per stump to mature for another harvest in a few years.

If you don't want to cultivate Eucs again, then poison the stumps immediately after cutting. Leaving the dead stumps in the ground and planting around them, is far less expensive that attempting stump removal. But that depends on what you plan to plant. If the new crop needs tractor work or pretty rows, and you have the budget for it, then of course this is not practical.

Stump removal can be done by stump grinder; although I haven't seen one in Thailand. Or grubbed out with a back hoe or excavator; but then you have to budget to dispose of the stumps and backfill the holes.

Stump killer poison formula: use the systemic herbacide - Round Up by Monsanto or a generic equivalent. Mix it with water to achieve about 25% glyphosate, the active ingredient. For instance if you buy a glyphosate product that says it has 48% active ingredient, mix that with equal parts of water. The grass killer formulation is too dilute and won't be effective as a stump killer. Use a small hand pump sprayer (designated forever for herbacide) - 3 to 8 liters or a 15 to 20 liter backpack, depending on how many stumps you have to spray. As each final cut is made, thoroughly spray this solution immediately on the exposed surface of the cut stump. It will be sucked in and translocated into the root system, effectively killing it and preventing the stump from resprouting. If you wait until the crew is gone or wait until the next day it is too late and you will not get a good kill. Spray it as soon as the saw completes the cut if possible.

Caution: glyphosate will translocate through root grafts to trees of the same species. So if you have nearby Eucs that you don't want to kill, this method is not good for this location. Believe me I have learned this the hard way. Trees of another species will not be affected. And current or future plantings will not be affected as the herbacide is not sprayed onto or leached into the soil, it specifically remains in the target stump and root system.

Here I am giving advise on how to kill trees; but ask me how to grow them or save them and I get really excited. Don

. Good luck and plant a few coconuts near the corners immediately as it will give you great satisfaction in seeing something growing extremely fast on your place, throw a little manure around them when the rainy seasons comes and enjoy and have fun. The earth is your canvas enjoy painting a beautiful picture. Choke Dee

ermmm how fast should cocnut grow?. i put a couple on my farm and they are still only a mtr high after three years. plus all the pig poo they can eat. cheers.

Another way you can eliminate stumps , when the tree is cut off , bore a large hole deep into the stunp and fill it with salt-peter , plug the hole , after a couple of months set fire to the salt-peter . This is best done at the start of the cold season as the sap will retreat quicker , taking the salt-peter with it . :o

Another way you can eliminate stumps , when the tree is cut off , bore a large hole deep into the stunp and fill it with salt-peter , plug the hole , after a couple of months set fire to the salt-peter . This is best done at the start of the cold season as the sap will retreat quicker , taking the salt-peter with it . :o

Have you actually used this salt peter stump burn or seen it used successfully to completely burn out the entire wood mass of the root crown?

I ask because in 40 years of tree and landscape work I have heard many stories of drilling and burning stumps, and seen stumps burning for days or weeks at a time, but never have seen or heard a success story.

But hey, this old dog is willing to learn new tricks. Until then, give me a big stump grinder and its done in a few minutes.

post-74166-1231424709_thumb.jpg