Thai marriage 2

thaisabai

thank you all for the various interesting answers (some of them not too intelligent I must say) but others very helpful. I forgot to mention, that my girl has managed to build up a reputaded beauty salon in Khorat with just 20 000 Baht input from me 2 years ago. Her family had suggested many times that we get married, we just wanted to wait, until I am ready to move to Thailand and stay with my family. this pregnancy came a bit of a shock at first, but now we are over it. I will have a home wedding (non-legal) during my next visit in December and making it legal on a later stage. this will satisfy her father and I need to pay only for feeding the relatives and the monks. There was also the aspect of her being 24 and me 57, and of me having to work a few more years at sea (I am a seaman with 5 months vacation per year) but hey, we are in Thailand and with a little bit of luck we will have another 20 happy years and when I have to go, I will have the good feeling, of having given a poor Thai girl and her children a better life than they would have had otherwise. I will now start my planning /preparations for living in Thailand sometimes in the not too distant future.

Thank you all again

thaisabai

There was also the aspect of her being 24 and me 57, and of me having to work a few more years at sea (I am a seaman with 5 months vacation per year)

If you're 57, and she's just 24, then I'm sure her pregnancy came as a shock. I know a guy your age who decided to have kids. He now looks very tired. After five months here you'll be pleased to get back on that boat.

I know a seaman, too, the captain of a cargo ship based in China. He is at sea for months at a time and when he is here, with his girlfriend in Pattaya, he can't wait to get back. Will find any excuse, even hiring a fishing boat to fish in waters where there are no fish.

He sends back his American-dollar earnings and his girlfriend (in her 40s, with a teenage boy of her own from another relationship) spends it, I guess. She has just bought a two-level place in Pattaya.

They're both happy, I think, and perhaps happiest most when they are apart.

• 3 weeks later...