False Advertising?

Sir Burr

I like to go to a friendly, bungalow resort in Rawai to down a few drinks at sun-down. I don't mind the high prices as the service is good and the location fantastic.

I don't usually eat there, but, decided to order that great culinary icon of British cuisine; Bangers & Mash.

What arrived at my table was a sad excuse for this most simple dish.

Firstly, there was a mere dab of mashed potato the consistency of baby-poo. Are potatoes that expensive?

Secondly, the onion gravy was from a packet. Someone didn't read the instructions as it had a concentrated taste and was of the consistency of wall-paper glue.

The final insult was the sausage. Yes......in the singular. A single, solitary, small chipolata size sausage.

Now.......the menu clearly says "Bangers & Mash". That S on the end of the first word clearly denotes the plural. ie. more than one.

Have I been cheated?

I reckon I have been for the sum of 220 Baht.

thats outrageous, since potatoes are real cheap here theres no reason not to use real potatoes. i have tried the mashed potatoes in thailand, terrible.

as far as onion gravy.. theres no instruction. There's a drawing with how much water you need, cant really go wrong, and it does taste pretty decent.

i dont understand why you'd pay if you're a loyal customer.

I will tell you the best place I know for farang food. It is called No 9 restaurant and is near the beach in Patong just where you turn off to Kalim. It is about 5 doors up from the corner where the big statue of Pra Narai is. Directly opposite the Paragon Hotel.

Great steaks for about 280 baht with either pepper, mushroom or garlic butter sauce. All snags and schnitzels available as it is basically Austrian or German influenced. The best sauces I've had anywhere. You can get most meals for 180 baht. T-bone is most expensive at 350 baht.

They make a great spaghetti cabonara (175 baht). You can also get pork chops and chicken fillets and all meals come with either a baked spud, chips, mashed potato or a really nice mix of fried spuds with bacon and onion. I call that "man phat" but you will not be disappointed in any of them. I usually get a baked spud which is covered in a big dollop of garlic butter.

Anybody who is long time from Germany or Austria eats here at least once daily and it gets packed nightly. I know the Thai owner very well and she will make exactly what you want. You want a steak and mash just tell her. You want a snag and gravy just tell her.

Her brother just came back from America. He is also a trained chef who worked in America for more than 10 years. The best value and quality for farang food I know of anywhere in Thailand. The chefs are real chefs not just steak tossers. I have taken so many people there, never had a complaint.

If anyone gives it a go let me know how you go. Tell the owner you know "Moo Uan" as she calls me. You cannot miss her, nice fat arse and mole on top lip. Always wears platform shoes to boost her height up.

Long time Phuket family and very nice people. You want a real nice pie or sausage roll, go to the supermarket next door to P.S 2 bungalows. Large imported NZ homemade pies that are a meal. Range from 80-120 baht if I remember. They sell out real quick though on busy days.

Best spiced Muslim fried chicken- Cherng Talay market Tuesday and Friday, first lady on right entering market.

I don't usually eat there, but, decided to order that great culinary icon of British cuisine..........

Wow, unbelievable....!!

I mean why didn't you throw the plate of food, flip some tables and curse at the staff. Geez, how dare they!

Realistically though, why didn't you just send it back to the kitchen as unacceptable?

Very tasty & good sized bangers & mash at (Jimmy's) Lighthouse. Think it cost me 180 baht a couple of month's back.

Where is it located?

Down towards Chalong Pier, and turn left, just on the water frontage. Can't miss the Lighthouse turret.

Thought so, right beside Tamirand 1 Bar? thanks.

Very tasty & good sized bangers & mash at (Jimmy's) Lighthouse. Think it cost me 180 baht a couple of month's back.

Could a couple of months been more like 6-8 months (?) as the place has changed hands a couple of times now.

Jimmy sold to one Thai family who has since sold to another. Thus no longer Jimmy's Lighthouse but just The Lighthouse.

Edited by huggybear

Jimmy sold to one Thai family who has since sold to another. Thus no longer Jimmy's Lighthouse but just The Lighthouse.

That's why Jimmy was in the brackets. But many folks still think of it as Jimmy's Lighthouse.

I occasionally have lunch there. Can tell you that the most recent Thai management are very good. The previous crowd were terrible.

That's why Jimmy was in the brackets. But many folks still think of it as Jimmy's Lighthouse.

I occasionally have lunch there. Can tell you that the most recent Thai management are very good. The previous crowd were terrible.

Gonna have to check it out!

What dish would you recommend?

Gerd

I will tell you the best place I know for farang food. It is called No 9 restaurant and is near the beach in Patong just where you turn off to Kalim. It is about 5 doors up from the corner where the big statue of Pra Narai is. Directly opposite the Paragon Hotel.

Great steaks for about 280 baht with either pepper, mushroom or garlic butter sauce. All snags and schnitzels available as it is basically Austrian or German influenced. The best sauces I've had anywhere. You can get most meals for 180 baht. T-bone is most expensive at 350 baht.

They make a great spaghetti cabonara (175 baht). You can also get pork chops and chicken fillets and all meals come with either a baked spud, chips, mashed potato or a really nice mix of fried spuds with bacon and onion. I call that "man phat" but you will not be disappointed in any of them. I usually get a baked spud which is covered in a big dollop of garlic butter.

Popped in there 2 day got the sausage warped in bacon with cheese and chips. Not a big fan of German sausage (no pun intend) but it wasn't to bad.

Will go back and give the T-Bone a try

I have been coming to Thailand for years and learned this on my first visit.

The S letter at the end means you should say how many, before you order.

If you order mash and it comes without lumps in it, you can bet your life its instant from a packet.

Happy new year to all the members of Thai Visa.

Syl

If you order mash and it comes without lumps in it, you can bet your life its instant from a packet.

Syl

Welcome to The Forum Syl !

Syl

Welcome to The Forum Syl !

Thanks for the welcome huggybear!

I like to go to a friendly, bungalow resort in Rawai to down a few drinks at sun-down. I don't mind the high prices as the service is good and the location fantastic.

I don't usually eat there, but, decided to order that great culinary icon of British cuisine; Bangers & Mash.

What arrived at my table was a sad excuse for this most simple dish.

Firstly, there was a mere dab of mashed potato the consistency of baby-poo. Are potatoes that expensive?

Secondly, the onion gravy was from a packet. Someone didn't read the instructions as it had a concentrated taste and was of the consistency of wall-paper glue.

The final insult was the sausage. Yes......in the singular. A single, solitary, small chipolata size sausage.

Now.......the menu clearly says "Bangers & Mash". That S on the end of the first word clearly denotes the plural. ie. more than one.

Have I been cheated?

I reckon I have been for the sum of 220 Baht.

Nobody gives a shiat about that; how are your hibiscuses?

Mine are blossoming beautifully although the rhododendrons are tapping into their roots and our gardening fellow seems to have no clue. It is a travesty which I will not take lying down :o

I know a little Thai, although there are a lot more people on here who will be no doubt better than me. But im pretty sure the Thai language does not recognize plurals, i.e. an "S" meaning more than one.

I would guess that most Thai (sorry Thais) wouldnt know the difference between "banger" and "bangers", simply as its not in their vocab. They probably just think we use both words which mean the same.

For example:

"All bar in Patong have many lady and farang"...... Correct way: All bars in Patong have many ladies and farangs

How often do you hear a Thai say "Farangs" ?

Yeah you were ripped off but I think it would be a bit harsh to call it false advertising.

I know a little Thai, although there are a lot more people on here who will be no doubt better than me. But im pretty sure the Thai language does not recognize plurals, i.e. an "S" meaning more than one.

I would guess that most Thai (sorry Thais) wouldnt know the difference between "banger" and "bangers", simply as its not in their vocab. They probably just think we use both words which mean the same.

For example:

"All bar in Patong have many lady and farang"...... Correct way: All bars in Patong have many ladies and farangs

Yeah you were ripped off but I think it would be a bit harsh to call it false advertising.

I understood from the OP this ocurred at Friendship Beach (whoops, cat out of the bag!), which is very western.

Your argument would apply at a Thai restaurant, I don't think so at a Farang restaurant.

For example:

I understood from the OP this ocurred at Friendship Beach (whoops, cat out of the bag!), which is very western.

Your argument would apply at a Thai restaurant, I don't think so at a Farang restaurant.

And every one of the staff that works there is a farang ? Cooks, waiters/waitress's, managers, cashiers, the person who does the menus/signs ...

If yes to all the above then I agree that they should know better, false advertising !

But we all know there is no such thing as Farang restaurant in Thailand, there are farang owned Thai restaurants. A restaurant in Thailand (i.e. that is positioned on Thai soil) is a Thai restaurant.

If it is mainly serving western food and has western ownership/management, and serves mainly to westerners, it is a Thai restaurant that serves western food !

In a nutshell, Friendship Beach is a Thai restaurant ! :o