Finding A Simple House To Rent Long-term

Curious09

I'm looking for a small, simple house to rent for a few months, but I'm having little success despite many hours of research. There are plenty of ads on the net of course, but these are all fancy places marketed to tourists with lot's of money to spend. I'm looking for something much simpler, maybe more along the lines of how the natives live. I just need electricity and water, some kind of AC and a basic kitchen. Some reasonably quiet location, not in the middle of nightlife and traffic, but at least within a kilometer or two from some shops, restaurants and preferably a beach. The rent should not be more than 10 000 bath per month, preferably it should be lower. I get the feeling that this is not unrealistic, although I haven't found anything yet. What do the good people of this forum think?

Any hints on how to go about finding a house along these lines? Since I obviously can't manage this myself, I would be perfectly happy to pay someone to do some research for me and come up with some specific alternatives (that is, someone who speaks thai, knows his or her way about the area etc). Where could I find such assistance?

I'm primarily thinking about Phuket, but this is not a requirement. Perhaps I'll have an easier time finding what I'm looking for somewhere else?

Forget any agents as they don't really deal in the low end of the rental market. Best idea is to get out on a motor bike and look out for the FOR RENT signs in an area that seems suitable for you. I suggest the Kathu & Phuket Town are good places to start for under 10,000 baht/month.

I'm looking for a small, simple house to rent for a few months, but I'm having little success despite many hours of research. There are plenty of ads on the net of course, but these are all fancy places marketed to tourists with lot's of money to spend. I'm looking for something much simpler, maybe more along the lines of how the natives live. I just need electricity and water, some kind of AC and a basic kitchen. Some reasonably quiet location, not in the middle of nightlife and traffic, but at least within a kilometer or two from some shops, restaurants and preferably a beach. The rent should not be more than 10 000 bath per month, preferably it should be lower. I get the feeling that this is not unrealistic, although I haven't found anything yet. What do the good people of this forum think?

Any hints on how to go about finding a house along these lines? Since I obviously can't manage this myself, I would be perfectly happy to pay someone to do some research for me and come up with some specific alternatives (that is, someone who speaks thai, knows his or her way about the area etc). Where could I find such assistance?

I'm primarily thinking about Phuket, but this is not a requirement. Perhaps I'll have an easier time finding what I'm looking for somewhere else?

I think the 1 to 2K away from the beach may be a problem, there are estates in Thalang area where you will find a modern 2-3 bedroom house 8-10 thousand. These ARE Thai prices, but 10k ish from the good beaches :o

Kathu will find something 'liveable' at 10k and under.. My buddy had a quite pleasant spacious townhouse for 5k out at Kathu waterfall.. However at those prices you need to furnish the house and usually a lick of paint etc, any savings you made on 2k off the price have rapidly disappeared investing into a property that you dont own.

You might get lucky and find a 10k low season priced house in Kamala / Karon etc... Nai Harn even for really good beaches.. But you wont find it advertised online, and it will take some hunting, haggling, and compromises.

The fact is however.. That at 10k and under things are often VERY basic, how much do you save when the ungrounded electric blows your laptop up ?? Once you go over 10k.. Say to 12 or so things get noticeably better.. And again just to 15 and its nice clean houses.. I know your emphasising frugality but the 50 - 100 baht per day thats being saved ?? Well its one of the best 50 baht investments into quality of life you could make.

Thanks a lot for all the answers!

I finally found a house that is more or less perfect for me. It's up in the hills above Phuket Town, a nicely furnished bungalow surrounded by jungle and with a big terrace overlooking both Phuket Bay and Chalong Bay. The rent is 9000 baht per month, which feels quite reasonable. The living standard is actually much better than I'd hoped for.

The owners are really nice and speak good english. They have more houses up here and at least one of them is available at the moment. They are not on the net, but if you are interested, send me a message and I'll put you in contact with them.

Cheers!

I have a house just like you want in Thalang. But the problem is, price may a bit higher than you prefer.

I can lease it after 25 Jan because I have to go to Bangkok. We can talk or have a look at house first. I love my house and want to make sure about who will live in the house.

Please e-maill me if you are interested.

[email protected]