The South With Kids

earlofwindermere

We want to escape Chiang Mai this year during the craziness of Songkran and are looking for a new place to visit (near or on the beach of course). Usually, we head to Phuket or Hua Hin but we want to get a bit more adventurous and try something less touristy. However; we have a 1 and 3 year old which makes it somewhat important that we find a family-friendly place to stay. I have looked at quite a few places both on Thai Visa and on other sites to get ideas. However; I want to know if I can get any recommendations from the local experts. Our ideal place would have the following things (in order of preference):

1. Two bedrooms (it's torture staying in the same room when you're trying to put the kids to sleep).

2. Near a swimmable beach that's not jammed with people

3. A swimming pool (not necessary but it's always nice when you have kids).

4. Reasonably priced. (Songkran is always more expensive but around 3000 baht is our general price).

Koh Ngai Resort looks like an option but according to their website, the cost is 9000 baht per night which seems quite pricey. We're open to pretty much anywhere in the south. Thanks for any suggestions.

EarlofWindermere from Chiang Mai.

Edited by earlofwindermere

We want to escape Chiang Mai this year during the craziness of Songkran and are looking for a new place to visit (near or on the beach of course). Usually, we head to Phuket or Hua Hin but we want to get a bit more adventurous and try something less touristy. However; we have a 1 and 3 year old which makes it somewhat important that we find a family-friendly place to stay. I have looked at quite a few places both on Thai Visa and on other sites to get ideas. However; I want to know if I can get any recommendations from the local experts. Our ideal place would have the following things (in order of preference):

1. Two bedrooms (it's torture staying in the same room when you're trying to put the kids to sleep).

2. Near a swimmable beach that's not jammed with people

3. A swimming pool (not necessary but it's always nice when you have kids).

4. Reasonably priced. (Songkran is always more expensive but around 3000 baht is our general price).

Koh Ngai Resort looks like an option but according to their website, the cost is 9000 baht per night which seems quite pricey. We're open to pretty much anywhere in the south. Thanks for any suggestions.

EarlofWindermere from Chiang Mai.

You may want to consider Ban Krut .. about 15 km north of Bangsaphan. Good beaches, pretty laid back .. Thai style. With young kids, I would recommend the resorts north of the big temple, as you don't need to cross the road to get to the beach. If you're driving, turn off at the 383 km marker.

Saturday night market is a treat.

The big temple on the hill is beautiful.

If you drive a few km north or south you can find some very quiet beaches. For seafood, I can recommend Noo's restaurant .. near the main intersection. For Thai, try Kamnan Pa's .. near the big temple in town .. near where they have the Thursday market. Reserve early for Songkran. You might try Bayview .. they have some 2 br units in your price range.

Koh Lanta is not far from Trang - about 1.5 hours (depending on the car ferry).

It is good for kids, heaps of the eurpeans bring their kids here, so the minimarts stock baby and kids stuff (though new supplies only come once a week so sell out for a few days). Probably as many families on holiday here as singles.

No where near as touristy as Phuket or Phi Phi.

You can get a beach as quiet as you want as there are a lot to chose from.

There are a lot of things to do in and out of the water. Lanta is big for diving and snorkelling, but there are mangrove tours, fishing, the caves and elephants in the hills, weekly muay thai. The local tv station is good for ideas too.

It's just a great place to relax.

Earl, Google Koh Yao Noi and I'm sure you shall find what you want. It's an hour by boat from northern Phuket and relatively unspoilt, fantastic for children. Beaches are not all great but some are. Choice of about 15 different places to stay varying in price

I would recommend Trang as i live here, but do not go to Koh Hai Resort, Took my mum and dad there last year and its got a swimming pool but thats about it, its expensive the rooms are dated and at night there is nowhere to go as its on the corner of the Island and cut off at night to the rest of the Island and resorts, so you end up eating in there restaurant which was crap and buying there really expensive drinks as there is nowhere else to go. No entertainment either. Koh Hai is nice but go to any other resort but That one.

Also have a look at Koh Mook, Koh Kradan and Lipe and Lanta is only round the corner about 1 1/2 hours away.

All the best

Mike

Thanks Mike

I think that we've settled on Trang...just because we haven't been there before. We were looking seriously at Koh Hai Resort as one option but will have to re-think. All the islands that you've mentioned are places we've been researching as well. We're thinking splitting our time between two places.

I've come across two interesting places and wondering if any of you have been there:

On Koh Kradon, there is a place that just opened in Dec. It's called Seven Seas Resort. Their website looks amazing. Price is sky high but after talking with the reservation staff, they dropped their prices substantially. They must be hurting a lot because we are now considering it as an option. Anyone been here?

Secondly, I keep reading about a quiet little called Koh Bubu that apparently has a small resort on it. I'm assuming that it's pretty rustic... has anyone been there or have contact info. I did find one website with a phone number but the number does not work.

Finally, I was quite shocked to discover that a lot of resort on the Trang islands refuse to accept reservations from families with kids under 7. I never expected this.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Please let me know if you ever need info from up North

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just visited Koh Sukorn last month. Wonderful place indeed. I can recommend this very much. There is a foreign owned resort named Sukorn Beach Bungalows.

This is their website: Sukorn Beach Bungalows They have a travel agency in Trang, so they will bring you to the island. I find it worth a visit! Have a nice trip whatever you find out :o