Habanero & Other Seeds

soidog2

Hello soidog2, I also have dropped a few $'s at TGS, she run's a good business and for small scale growers has a nice selection. I tried all the fancy SUPER HOT ones, but I only grow the Jam. Hot Chock still, it the flavor and nice heat! This one can get oil all over where you may touch, and soon will know it. I have some Naga's from the NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. that are a lot hotter, but no problems from bare hand harvesting.(still, no tuchie the eyes)

TGS's Black, Black Cherry, Black Krim have all grown good here. I'm going to try Southern Night(Det.) to see how they do, forgot, the Congo Trinidad grew very good like the Hot Choc. did.

Johnney's has a good herb/basil list: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

While googling for some pepper nutrient info, I ran across a site that has some info on the hot ones, has some good pictures of chilies, but pictures over the growing season with brown habanero's.(hydroponics)

http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/our_chiles.html

rice555

• 2 months later...

I've got 10 Jala's in hydro this year, Their grow'n beautifly. I also planted at few Bhut Jolkia for some burn.

I also have these CHilli's going but in soil as the greenhouse and hydro is full. May have to build another system.

ANAHEIM CHILI- medium hot- CAYENNE LONG SLIM- medium hot-

FRESNO- very hot-

HABENARO- extremely hot- - 5 colors- WHITE, YELLOW, ORANGE, RED AND CHOCOLATE-

HUNGARIAN YELLOW WAX- medium hot-

JALAPENO- medium hot-

MULATO ISLENO- PASILLA- mild-

PORTUGAL- medium hot-

PUEBLO- mild- RED CHERRY BOMB- mild-

SANTA FE GRANDE- hot-

SERRANO- very hot- SMALL RED CHILI

As for seeds I have imported all of mine. i should have alot of extra seeds this rainy season. Will let you know as the time comes.

Here's an article from Dave's Garden for you chilli freaks. :o

Link

Which U.S. seed catalogs do you guys buy from?

URLs?

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm

best sellestion be far : http://www.ecoseeds.com/

reagrds

Growing habaneros in Thailand for years, unbelivable with SOMTAM !

Not the best looking one, but by far the best flavor; mustard habanero ! don't pick it untill it's deep orange color !

Edited by soidog2

Hello soidog2, I also have dropped a few $'s at TGS, she run's a good business and for small scale growers has a nice selection. I tried all the fancy SUPER HOT ones, but I only grow the Jam. Hot Chock still, it the flavor and nice heat! This one can get oil all over where you may touch, and soon will know it. I have some Naga's from the NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. that are a lot hotter, but no problems from bare hand harvesting.(still, no tuchie the eyes)

TGS's Black, Black Cherry, Black Krim have all grown good here. I'm going to try Southern Night(Det.) to see how they do, forgot, the Congo Trinidad grew very good like the Hot Choc. did.

Johnney's has a good herb/basil list: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

While googling for some pepper nutrient info, I ran across a site that has some info on the hot ones, has some good pictures of chilies, but pictures over the growing season with brown habanero's.(hydroponics)

http://www.refiningfirechiles.com/our_chiles.html

rice555

Did your naga grow ? I got mine from both UK & US, no go !

If you have seeds I'll trade you for some habanaro seeds ( all colors ) or sweet basil or rosemary or oregano or marjam and so on !

Hello soidog2, I use a tray substrate or coir with a small amount sand for all my seed started plants. The use of any compost type medium, especially if it has cowshit or the like can burn/stunt good seed germination with peppers, also over watering or the media getting to dry.

I grew Naga's with seed from the NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. and had 9 for 10 germ. rate.

I've just propagated 35 plug trays started this way and get good results with O-P seed(+80%) and higher with hyb's. Tomo/egg/chilies.

rice555

SD2, thanks for the links. :o

Off topic, but does anyone know where I can get Lavender, citronella and passionfruit seeds in the LoS? :D

I can give you all the passion fruit seeds you want, yellow & purple, they are flowering now, seeds ready in a couple of month.

Or just buy one , and plant the seeds !!

Best

Hello soidog2, I use a tray substrate or coir with a small amount sand for all my seed started plants. The use of any compost type medium, especially if it has cowshit or the like can burn/stunt good seed germination with peppers, also over watering or the media getting to dry.

I grew Naga's with seed from the NuMex Chili Pepper Inst. and had 9 for 10 germ. rate.

I've just propagated 35 plug trays started this way and get good results with O-P seed(+80%) and higher with hyb's. Tomo/egg/chilies.

rice555

Thanks

The seeds germinated & grew but for some reason became stunted and in the end, I just pulled them out.

The habaneros next to them did just fine !

Regards

Off topic, but does anyone know where I can get Lavender, citronella and passionfruit seeds in the LoS? :D

Not in Thailand, but I have imported seeds from a guy in Malaysia.

From the Seedsgarden Store. On Ebay.

Nice find ! Thanks !

Edited by soidog2

this lettuce looks great; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

but since it likes cool weather i guess there's no chance of growing it now? unless it could be grown hydroponically in some kind of mist environment maybe?

i checked the shipping cost to Thailand and they don't offer a discount, its $1.90 for the first item and $1.00 for each after that.

this lettuce looks great; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

but since it likes cool weather i guess there's no chance of growing it now? unless it could be grown hydroponically in some kind of mist environment maybe?

i checked the shipping cost to Thailand and they don't offer a discount, its $1.90 for the first item and $1.00 for each after that.

I have a range of lettuce seeds which I grow commercially in the uk here in LOS including:

Reine de glace

Flame

Australian yellow leaf

Devils tongue (a red romaine)

bronze arrowleaf

nymans

natividad

loma

meravilla de verano canasta

Its 2007 seed but lettuce seed remains viable for 5 years although germination rates can drop off. I tend to purchase fresh seed every other year and hence bought some older stock out here to trial. Being in chiang rai I grow in the cool season and tend to pick as a cut and come again crop rather than full head production as this prevents the plant from becoming bitter. Some of these varieties are heat tolerant and the nymans (a red cos) had a good dark red colour although in the uk it's practically black !! Red varieties generally need cool weather to produce the red pigment . Plants sown in november are now running to seed and were much slower to bolt than I expected !! Hope to do some proper trials next year (this year I had limited space and just sowed a few plants in my kitchen garden for my own consumption) and am constantly trialling in the UK, this season mildew resistant varieties as with such a wet summer last last year lost about 40% of the crop to various moulds and rots !! Maybe they will be suitable for the rainy season out here. I wouldn't think misters would be a good idea as lettuce should be watered at the roots avoiding the leaves due to there susceptability to moulds such sclerosis and botrytis.I reckon some 50% shade netting would do the trick. have a couple of hundred of seed of each variety and am happy to post them to you or anyone else gratis as long as you let us know how you get on !!

cheers Jandtaa 

I reckon some 50% shade netting would do the trick. have a couple of hundred of seed of each variety and am happy to post them to you or anyone else gratis as long as you let us know how you get on !!

cheers Jandtaa 

i'm planning to visit bangsai agro center http://en.bangsaiagro.com/ and get a starter hydroponic kit in a couple of days. i'm going to try a few lettuce, sweet pepper, hot pepper and tomato plans to see what happens. if i have any success, i have access to 1/2 rai of land where i can set up a small hydroponic farm. there is a good market for 'farang' veggies on Ko Phangan so i think i could easily sell anything i don't eat easily.

jandtaa, thanks for the offer and i'd be happy to take you up on it when i buy my hydroponic kit. i'll post more about it next week.

thx steve

Hello stevehaigh, I hope you aren't going to tie up space in a DFT system to grow peppers, especially if you are going to buy their small system, they are a great 'greens machine'.

Are the still offering one year of 'seed & nutes' when you buy a system?

From the info I have from Wesco(bulk nutrient supplier), lettuce nutes don't use potassium sulphate(0-0-50) which you need for everything else. You can grow different vegetables in the same nutes, but not all of them will preform 100%.

A friend of mine, in fact the guy that got me into hydro grows in Phetchaburi, NTF system for lettuce/greens and a bubbler system for tom's and peppers, his anchos looked a lot better than mine in a run-to-waste system.

Hope you enjoy your system, if I was to grow lettuce/green's, Bangsai is the system I would buy.

rice555

I also recommend a bubbler system for your Tomato's and Pepper's.

Dift or recirculating system for leafies.

I use both systems to complete my garden. Biult my own as alot cheaper then buying a system in Thailand. You can buy alot of lettuce for a small system from bangsai or ack. Though if I had to buy it would be from ack, system looks alot better with bang for buck.

I spent about 1500 baht to build a recirc system to hold 175 head of lettuce. That included pipe, pump, steel for table, res tank, and green uv tarping to inclose the grow area.

Steve you may find this PDF book useful

how-to hydroponics

all the best Jandtaa

great link, thanks

i notice that the climate in most of Thailand is pretty similar to Miami

it would be interesting to see what gardeners are doing in Miami. i used to grow beefsteak tomatoes in New Jersey in the summer and the climate there felt hotter and wetter than Ko Phangan to me.

by the way, is sea air a problem for vegi growing? someone told me my orchids don't flower because they don't like sea air.

post-6315-1237093028_thumb.jpg

Steve you may find this PDF book useful

how-to hydroponics

all the best Jandtaa

great link, thanks

i notice that the climate in most of Thailand is pretty similar to Miami

it would be interesting to see what gardeners are doing in Miami. i used to grow beefsteak tomatoes in New Jersey in the summer and the climate there felt hotter and wetter than Ko Phangan to me.

by the way, is sea air a problem for vegi growing? someone told me my orchids don't flower because they don't like sea air.

yeah I always check out info from Florida, Hawaii, the Philipinnes, tropical northern Australia...etc

anywhere on the same sort of longditude as us either above or below the equator you can usually adapt their methods to your needs .Regarding sea air yes many plants lack salt tolerance and some species are more adapted  to being grown on the coast. Can't give you any specifics as I've never been lucky enough to farm beside the sea-side (just think of all that lovely free seaweed to compost, mulch and brew foliar feeds from) Recommend you check out the university of Hawaii website or similar I'm sure I read something about salt tolerance there or there abouts just didnt pay it too much attention.Glad you liked the PDF good general info, easy to understand and should save a few quid if you decide to do a spot of DIY !!

cheers Jandtaa 

I use both systems to complete my garden. Biult my own as alot cheaper then buying a system in Thailand. You can buy alot of lettuce for a small system from bangsai or ack. Though if I had to buy it would be from ack, system looks alot better with bang for buck.

I spent about 1500 baht to build a recirc system to hold 175 head of lettuce. That included pipe, pump, steel for table, res tank, and green uv tarping to inclose the grow area.

i just read the hydroponic ebook, interesting stuff. a couple of useful things i got from it where that coconut fibre makes a great growing medium and Ko Phangan is the coconut island and that its important to keep your nutrient reservoir cool (70degF). i'm going to build a growing shed with netting to cut down on sunlight and temperature and i'll dig a big hole in the ground and place the reservoir underground to control the temperature. i think i will build my own system but i'll have to buy the nutrient from bangsai or ack.

thanks again for the ideas, i'll post progress in a new thread when i start.

steve

i just read the hydroponic ebook, interesting stuff. a couple of useful things i got from it where that coconut fibre makes a great growing medium and Ko Phangan is the coconut island and that its important to keep your nutrient reservoir cool (70degF). i'm going to build a growing shed with netting to cut down on sunlight and temperature and i'll dig a big hole in the ground and place the reservoir underground to control the temperature. i think i will build my own system but i'll have to buy the nutrient from bangsai or ack.

thanks again for the ideas, i'll post progress in a new thread when i start.

steve

You may find the ec of the KP coconuts to high to use because of their high salt content although I'm sure Rice555 or one of the other guys will be able to give you the full lowdown .

cheers Jandtaa

these tomatoes look interesting: http://www.tomatogrowers.com/midseason3.htm

Solar Set VFF Hybrid #3567 (30 seeds) $3.40

A heat-tolerant variety developed by the University of Florida. Sets fruit well even in high temperatures (92 degree day; 72 degree night) and high humidity. Because there is such good set, plants yield very large amounts of fruit. Bright red tomatoes are 8 to 9 ozs. with a delicious, full tomato flavor. Great for a fall crop in areas where weather permits. Determinate. 70 days. Click Here for Large Quantity Pricing.

unfortunately they will not ship outside the US. i'll have to beg the ex wife to forward some to me.

by the way, shipping is really expensive so if anybody is interested, i can order a few packs and other seeds from the same place (http://www.totallytomato.com/) and we can split the costs. pm me.

Edited by stevehaigh

Hello stevehaigh, #5036 Solar Fire gave better performance than Solar Set and is VFFF. Most of the 'Heat Set' tomatoes are from school breeding programs at FL or NC, BHN a private co in FL also has BHN-189, a top H-S, they are a top breeder in cherries(US$ 200.00 for 1000 seed) and plum/paste.

I've grow the Solar Fire for 3 years now and am happy the way it grows. If you have looked at the hydro threads, or the tomato threads, I had pictures of the SF and others. Florida 91's, Sun Master, Homestead 24F, Creole, Porter's Pride, Kewalo(U of HI, Sun Leaper, Soiux and Super Soiux, Tropic have all been the best of what I've tried. I have grown up to 350gr, an O-P beefstake and that was 200gr bigger than any other fruit on the plant, with lettuce nutes.

I just transplanted Shady Lady and Black Cherry and repotted a 3 seasond old Jam Hot Chocolate and need to replace sun damaged grow bags for 100 ancho chili plants for their second cycle. I will have 2 double rows of 120 plants each(480), and 5 double rows in 6 months,(after most of the rainy season) just like the big boys do it, but without the greenhouse.

Hello jandtaa, the coir info has been covered in the hydro threads, I think it has more to do with the water that's used to process the coir that where the tree is grown.

Large amounts of tidal effected water or sea water is cheaper to pump, than fresh water. Sometimes you have to work harder to get it right. You check the coir salinity and you rinse like kvbicar says, unlike soil! We also use seaweed in the garden, sipping diet coke and eating shushi.<sp>

Jack of all, master of none.

rice555

Hello jandtaa, the coir info has been covered in the hydro threads, I think it has more to do with the water that's used to process the coir that where the tree is grown.

Large amounts of tidal effected water or sea water is cheaper to pump, than fresh water. Sometimes you have to work harder to get it right. You check the coir salinity and you rinse like kvbicar says, unlike soil! We also use seaweed in the garden, sipping diet coke and eating shushi.<sp>

Jack of all, master of none.

rice555

Hi rice555

great "use" of seaweed in the garden  :o !! Had great fun teaching some Thai chefs that I worked with to make sushi a few years back, made sure they all tasted a nice big spoonful of wasabi to get them back for all the "mai phet" dishes they would give me to try !! really hits the nasal passages rather than the mouth and throat burn that they're used to !! poor bastards were in tears !! Farang 1 - Thais 1.

yeah with the coir it makes sense that it's the water used during the retting process  that affects the salt content and I guess it would be seawater down on KP.As a chef I was suprised by the high salt content of coconut meat and water and wondered if growing in coastal areas had any bearing.I want to plant up a couple of coconut trees on my land and whilst looking at cultivation guides it's become clear that in inland areas common salt is added to the fertiliser in quite large quantities. It got me wondering whether this affects the salt content of the nut or the coir ?? Maybe you could get together with Steve and compare fresh coconuts from coastal and inland coconuts with your ec meters ?? purely in the name of science and not at all to satisfy my own personal curiosity you understand, honest guv :D . Sounds like you've got a great set up there I'm envious !! My limited experience of hydro was about 20 years ago when myself and a mate chose to study growth rates of brassica under lights with controlled nutrition as an A-level biology "thesis". Never realised it was hydroponics at the time  just seemed like a cool experiment and the college provided all the set up .Was great until an older more streetwise kid recognised it for what it was and we got busted for growing an "alternative crop" in his bedroom cupboard :D !! Hope to set up some sort of system in the future out here just as a hobby really, but me being me I'm looking into bioponics,organoponics,aquaponics etc seems to be some research going and aquaponics leading the way, any experience, does it ever come up in any hydro mags ?? 

regards Jandtaa

Hello jandtaa, I don't know about fresh coconuts or not, but if you read the post from Paul about the products they make, the shells are aged 6 or more months before the process it into coir. Smithson also has posted that he has bought fresh shelled husks and the salinity was low, most likely the guy didn't wash the husks. But on the same note, kbvcar(I think this was him) said Paul's was high in salinity and said he stuck a hose in the bag to to wash the salt out.

A lot of stuff in the net about a lot of things, takes up to much time looking, I would rather spend time in the field,as one of the old US tire adds(I think you call them tyers, I don't speak english) but the slogan is 'where the rubber meets the road'.

I haven't been to Accent in a couple of years, so it's been a while since I read an issue Practical Hydroponics & Green House Magazine. all the tech hydro stuff on the net co$t$ to down load.

Soon as joeycano coms back to life, hes got some dvds I got about low input hydro using worm castings as the nutrients in SA and Cuba.

Mostly used as home garden food supply and cash with the excess vegetables. Made from recycled wood pallets and plastic sheeting.

rice555

Hi rice 555. You're partly correct about the 'coir' I received from Coco World. I'll describe it once again and then want to forget the whole experience.

After more than a month of delays and excuses (about how they were doing me a 'favor' in sending their product to me) I got what was obviously a reject batch of trash that I'm sure they wouldn't think of sending to an overseas customer. The EC was ~5.0 and I gave up flushing the salt after an hour (which only lowered the EC to ~2.8). The texture was either dust-like or long, fine fibers that just refused to ever dry out 100% It was obvious this stuff was VERY old and was unlike any other coir I've seen here.

When I called Coco World and explained the situation the guy I talked to was totally uninterested and suggested I didn't hydrate the compressed block correctly. HUH??? I was speechless he would even make such an asinine comment...He then told me to go ahead and use it and I told him 'no way' (with an EC of almost 3.0) was I going to even waste my time and effort.

Anyway, after that experience with a so-called 'reputable, big-time' dealer I still drive 10 minutes to the mom & pop nursery (like I did before) and get quality coco for 1/3 of the price. Now THAT'S the stuff I flush for ~30 minutes and remove almost all the salt. Then I charge it with 10 ml per gallon of CalMag from Botanicare and have a quality coco base to use.

OK, I've finished my rant...

Cheers for the info Rice555

yeah agree its much more fun out in the field. Back to the U.K. and my lettuces in a couple of weeks can't wait. Out here its a slower process as I'm converting reclaimed paddy into a growing area ( food for the family and hopefully a small amount of cash ) so just exploring all the possibilities. Yeah the net can consume a lot of time in research and in the abscence of a knowledgable teacher on site will have to suffice (I prefer hands on learning myself, worked my way up from pot-washer to head chef and certainly learnt more that way than I ever did on day release to college) Hopefully the research will pay off when it comes time to apply it practically at least I wont find myself "where the rubber meets the road " out in the field but totally clueless. Yeah remember the ad and don't worry about not speaking English my mums a dual citizen so I understand some stateside lingo  :o .

Thanks again for your patience and help

Jandtaa