Mr Hippo's New Year Cycle Ride

mr_hippo

Cant join as i dont have a bike....yet.

But reason Im posting is to ask your opinion on a bike. Nothing fancy just for everyday use, riding along the klong san seab and along the sois. What do you recommend? On a tight budget as well, I was looking at the LA Bikes but for those prices I can buy a scooter. Was at big C and saw the "turbo" bikes, good enough???

Cant join as i dont have a bike....yet.

But reason Im posting is to ask your opinion on a bike. Nothing fancy just for everyday use, riding along the klong san seab and along the sois. What do you recommend? On a tight budget as well, I was looking at the LA Bikes but for those prices I can buy a scooter. Was at big C and saw the "turbo" bikes, good enough???

My thoughts:-

Supermarket bikes - if you want a can of beans you don't go to a bike shop! These are at the bottom end of the market; if you are small and light and only want it for trips to your local 7-11 then they are OK. I have known them to give good service for years but I have also heard of them only lasting months!

You say that you are on a tight budget - just how tight is it?

What would I recommend?

Suspension? Not really needed

Gears? 21 or 24 seem to be the norm these days

Tyres? You don't need knobbly tyres - give you a harsher ride and takes up too much of your energy.

Price - you should be looking at 7000Baht+. Bikes can last for years and years - before I moved here, I had 3 bikes. I brought my youngest one over here - 9 years old at the time and sold my other two - one was 25 and the other was about 35!

I am thinking about selling one of my bikes:-

pinkhippo003.jpg

Trek 3900, 21" frame, complete with CatEye computer and a few more extras - 6000Baht but am prepared to haggle!

Ok, cool.

Will need to ask wifey's permission. Redoing the kitchen at home right now and since the contractor said no problem , assured us on the quality of his work and materials, etc, we are expecting delays and cost over runs.

So in your opinion, I dont need suspensions etc? How about weight of the bike?

Most of my riding will be around the suk area and down the san seab.

btw, I am a small guy 175cm 73kgs.

Edited by mmushr00m

Ok, cool.

Will need to ask wifey's permission. Redoing the kitchen at home right now and since the contractor said no problem , assured us on the quality of his work and materials, etc, we are expecting delays and cost over runs.

Weight - about 14kgs

Suitable for your height

I cycled the route last Sunday morning - video is here - Mr Hippo's ride

Hello Mr Hippo,

So are you thinking about selling this bike? I could well be interested. What's the groupset?

Phil

I am thinking about selling one of my bikes:-

pinkhippo003.jpg

Trek 3900, 21" frame, complete with CatEye computer and a few more extras - 6000Baht but am prepared to haggle!

Ok, cool.

Weight - about 14kgs

Suitable for your height

a 21 inch frame is not suitable for his stated height. 18 inch max.

Ok, cool.

Weight - about 14kgs

Suitable for your height

24km is less than an hour's ride. Is there anyone riding, say 100-120km in the Chiang Mai area?

a 21 inch frame is not suitable for his stated height. 18 inch max.

• 1 month later...