Poll: How Good Is Your Thai?

ThaiGeared_HighThaied

Speaking thai only, not reading or writing  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As noted before, I seem to be too stupid to learn Thai. I learned passable Japanese with a moderate amount of study. I've been coming to LOS for nearly 30 years and studied quite a bit over the past ten, but the results have been worse than dismal. The other day my girlfriend's daughter asked me what time it was, but my reply was so mangled (it was 5:30 PM) that she had to turn to her Mom for a translation. Even Mom didn't understand so I just replied in English. That little event made me feel awful for the rest of the day.

I'm determined to give up trying because of the confusion and embarrassment it inevitably causes.

Anyone else feel that way?

All i know is that thai language is very sweet (makes me hornier) and

it's painfull not to able to speak.

May i ask how old are you? and how did you said 5:30pm in thai?

Remember, there is no one way of saying things in thai, like english.

Thai language is more like computer scripting language, it doesn't

have any proper grammer like other languages.

Usualy more educated Thais can understand you better, this is my experiance.

In the begining i was very surprised why i couldn't learn Thai, because i

could speak persian, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, English.

Later i came to know that Thai language is different than all above

languages, and it needs different method to learn it.

1-You just can't learn thai by going to thai school and learn it.

2-You just can't go out on the street and talk with Thais, because

you can't keep on talking and talking unless, you know close to

at least 1000 words.

3-There are more than 250 thai words which has similar sounds

but different meanings that has its place when to be used in sentance,

this is also where some farang fail.

4-You have to talk and sound like a "GAY" when speaking, and

farang feel abnormal to make those kind of voice coming out

of them.

I know few things that leads to my success in learning thai ( i

think others who can speak thai already know them), but i don't

need to reveal them here, ofcourse some guys have natural

talent for learning things, but i didn't have it but still made it.

Edited by U_THAIED_UP_THAIED

I'm sure you're right.

When I used to come to Thailand as a tourist I found that I could communicate OK with the Thai's who worked in the sort of places I visited. Of course, vendors and other tourist industry workers who cater to visitors have a vested interest in being able to understand poorly formed Thai. So, I thought I was doing OK.

When I moved here four months ago I was gung ho to use Thai whenever I could and hang the embarrassment. Sadly, the success rate was zero and the embarrassment and fear of further failure has become more than I can tolerate.

I just don't want to go through it any more.

When I first visited Thailand I was learning the basics pretty quickly, I was sure that in months I will be completely fluent. It turned out that I would get to a certain level in Thai, then just stay in this level for a long time. It was only when I really studied it, speaking and reading, I made further progress, and then it stopped again (or at least progressing very very slowly).

I realized that if I don't make a continous effort it might take many years to reach a really satisfiable level. Is this realization enough to make me do that? Unfortunetly not :o

I'm 56. I tried to say, "Hah Mong Krueng", and I look like this:

chaam95.jpg

My vocabulary is OK and I can even read some. But, my pronunciation is so bad that no one, even the woman with whom I've lived for a couple of years, can figure out what I'm trying to say....

I speak Thai below average.... After studying Thai for a long time (on/off), I still can't speak it fluently perhaps it's because I haven't had the passion to learn it eagerly. However, I find reading and writing Thai more interesting..

I can speak the basic survival Thai needed for everyday living-- i.e,greetings, giving directions, eating, shopping, etc. My Thai friends speak very little Thai to me so although I want to practice my Thai, I don't have much opportunity. They (Thai friends) do say that after I have a couple of drinks my Thai is much better and clearer pronunciation :o (which don't happen very often).

I'm 56. I tried to say, "Hah Mong Krueng", and I look like this:

chaam95.jpg

My vocabulary is OK and I can even read some. But, my pronunciation is so bad that no one, even the woman with whom I've lived for a couple of years, can figure out what I'm trying to say....

You had to say ^haa mohng yen krueng,

Haa shold be said with falling ton, if you say if with rising tone, means like

Phom pai vHaa khon peter= I am going to see/visit peter.

But i think they should have easily understood you, Thais can figure out

what you want to say. Either you accent is tribble or they must be trying

to stop you from learning thai.

Try the same thing with someone on the street, and see they can

understand you, i think 90% chances they will understand... :o

Waoo, i can't believe you are 56, you look like 40. where is that pic?

Edited by U_THAIED_UP_THAIED

Thai - about 80% spoken and about 90% understood.

Southern Thai - about 40% spoken and about 50% understood.

Laos, about 5% spoken and about 10% understood.

As Im currently opening a new business, my reading will have to improve dramatically and my fluency will be very important. Time for a bit of school for a brush up I think.

Edited by Tornado

When I'm drunk I can hardly speak English never mind Thai :D ...I've been learning Thai solidly for a few months now and I can recognise and distinguish between all Thai characters, although my speaking is not too great as most this time has been spent on learning the alphabet as opposed to words, although they will come ...hopefully :o

My Thai is fantastic... I know exactly what I mean... not my fault if everybody else can't understand me...  :D

totster  :D

you speak TH in Lao 's accent dont you? :o

Bambi ( wow lao boh pben der) :D

Over 30% members can speak thai for 90% of times, i can't stand

this poll result anymore, i think most here, are over-rating their

Thai speaking capabilities

my pronunciation is so bad that no one, even the woman with whom I've lived for a couple of years, can figure out what I'm trying to say....

Don't beat yourself up over it mate, change the woman, see if that helps. :o

That was what i tried to tell him, by trying other thai, to come to know

if his accent is realy that bad? Thais are not that dumb, and can figure

out what you are trying to say, 90% cases

Does it get your goat that you're not the only non-Thai to be able to speak the language?

Scouse.

No, but i realy think figures are very high, i used to believe

10% of farangs even those who spend quite som time in los

could speak good enough

Now, this poll is going to be an eye-opener for me, i need to

work much harder.

This time when i come to thailand, i should remember this:

"Put phasa angrit mai dai" even at the airport :o

What's the "yen" for?

So far, my experience has been that Thai's either can't or won't use context to attempt to interpret poorly formed Thai. The example I cited here is but one of many that I've experienced. Probably the problem is that my pronunciation is really, really horrible.

Waoo, i can't believe you are 56, you look like 40.  where is that pic?

Thanks! :o

Photo was taken in Petchaburi on Sunday....

What's the "yen" for?
Yen, late afternoon/early evening 3 to 6 o'clock

Generaly if someone was asking you the time, you would not need to put the "yen" in (as they aleady know its the afternoon)so "Haa mung krung" should of been ok.

If someone asked "what time are you going tomorrow" You would need to use "yen" as not to confuse it with morning.

Try droping the"r" when you say "krueng" I know its not right but generaly thats how its pronounced

My Thai is fantastic... I know exactly what I mean... not my fault if everybody else can't understand me...  :D

totster  :D

you speak TH in Lao 's accent dont you? :o

Bambi ( wow lao boh pben der) :D

Over 30% members can speak thai for 90% of times, i can't stand

this poll result anymore, i think most here, are over-rating their

Thai speaking capabilities

I agree, in the 8 years Ive been here, I have only ever met 1 guy who speaks fluent (or close to it). Pom kit, tuk khun tinee, pud mai trong. :D

What's the "yen" for?

So far, my experience has been that Thai's either can't or won't use context to attempt to interpret poorly formed Thai. The example I cited here is but one of many that I've experienced. Probably the problem is that my pronunciation is really, really horrible.

Waoo, i can't believe you are 56, you look like 40.  where is that pic?

Thanks! :o

Photo was taken in Petchaburi on Sunday....

"Haa mong krueng" should do it. If you really want to use "yen" in the sentence better to say "Haa mong krueng torn yen". My guess is that you messed up the "krueng", which is pretty difficult to pronounce.

"Haa mong krueng" should do it. If you really want to use "yen" in the sentence better to say "Haa mong krueng torn yen". My guess is that you messed up the "krueng", which is pretty difficult to pronounce.

If you tried saying it in Isaan, they might not understand correct Thai.

Haa mong LAENG :o is always understood, and gets a laugh.

I'm still learning. I really don't want to live somewhere that I can't talk to anybody.

Gentlemen, don't give up! It's been said before but it's worth repeating, learn to read Thai, you can't learn to pronounce Thai correctly using English letters, some sounds in Thai simply can't be found in English. If someone asked you to play Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix on the piano you'd rightly inquire as to how you're going to bend the notes and get the feedback.Moreover, Thai is by and large phonetic, once you can read it you know the tones and sounds, it gives your pronunciation a firm basis. It may look hard to read with its intricate letters but it's not really, you'll soon start to see the patterns. All it takes is time and motivation, believe me, I've been this route!

BambinA-ข้อยบ่เฃื่อเจ้าเว้าอีสานบ่เป็น

I'm still learning. I really don't want to live somewhere that I can't talk to anybody.

Gentlemen, don't give up! It's been said before but it's worth repeating, learn to read Thai, you can't learn to pronounce Thai correctly using English letters, some sounds in Thai simply can't be found in English. If someone asked you to play Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix on the piano you'd rightly inquire as to how you're going to bend the notes and get the feedback.Moreover, Thai is by and large phonetic, once you can read it you know the tones and sounds, it gives your pronunciation a firm basis. It may look hard to read with its intricate letters but it's not really, you'll soon start to see the patterns. All it takes is time and motivation, believe me, I've been this route!

BambinA-ข้อยบ่เฃื่อเจ้าเว้าอีสานบ่เป็น

I am learning to read right along with speaking. I don't see how anyone can think they know a language if they can't read it? That's all part of it.

I am learning to read right along with speaking. I don't see how anyone can think they know a language if they can't read it? That's all part of it.

Not sure I agree. My three year old nephews speak better Thai than I, but neither knows how to read a single word....

:o

(I too am trying to learn to read, but I'm not sure it helps learning Thai as much as knowing how to read helps in other languages.)