Investing, What Are My Options?

Hello,

my wife and I recently sold a few properties here in Thailand that we had sat on for a few years.

Now with all the economic problems and the uncertain nature of the pound we are unsure what to do? Should we keep the money here or move it to the UK, offshore etc? I have never invested in anything except property before. I know nothing about the stock market, futures or investing in Gold. Does anyone have any good advice for what I should look into?

Many thanks

Invest in downtown shophouses! - (although 'downtown' isn't necessarily the keyword here). - I'd say any property accommodating shop/business that provides basic needs for a local community of reasonably size would serve in these days of contemplated world sized financial collapses where auto spare parts might become unfullfillable wishes.

Good suggestions from VIBE. If you are staying in Thailand keep most of your funds in Thai Baht....no fx risk. Thai stock exchange at bombed out levels although Thai politics can throw many many spanners into the fundamentals. Kim Eng Securities are the largest broker in Thailand....free research at www.kelive.kimeng.co.th (no, i do NOT work for them).

I published a daily blog on the Thai market, business and politics. Can be found here: www.thailandjunkie.blogspot.com

Good suggestions from VIBE. If you are staying in Thailand keep most of your funds in Thai Baht....no fx risk. Thai stock exchange at bombed out levels although Thai politics can throw many many spanners into the fundamentals. Kim Eng Securities are the largest broker in Thailand....free research at www.kelive.kimeng.co.th (no, i do NOT work for them).

I published a daily blog on the Thai market, business and politics. Can be found here: www.thailandjunkie.blogspot.com

in Majestic's case i agree. in any other case i'd consider it utterly stupid to move offshore funds into a country which might change any legislation tomorrow, where currency restrictions exist, levies income tax on your proceeds and ties your hands as far as investments are concerned with just a few alternatives the thai banking/financial system provides... which is as sophisticated as a soi dog's greed for food scraps.

What about mutual funds.My friend has put just 80,000 baht in a mutual funds acct,at Siam Commercial,and says he makes about 1000 baht interest each mo.automatically placed in savings acct.(He says he uses it just to pay utilities bill) Anyone heard of this type of thing? If I were to put in say 25,000,maybe I could make just enough to pay rent,bills and a few beers and stay in LOS extended time without having to own a business or pay big taxes etc?

Thanks,

mel

What about mutual funds.My friend has put just 80,000 baht in a mutual funds acct,at Siam Commercial,and says he makes about 1000 baht interest each mo.automatically placed in savings acct.

that's more than 15% yield p.a.! my best guess is that your friend had either a few Chang too many or was pulling your leg when he mentioned the figures :o

What about mutual funds.My friend has put just 80,000 baht in a mutual funds acct,at Siam Commercial,and says he makes about 1000 baht interest each mo.automatically placed in savings acct.

that's more than 15% yield p.a.! my best guess is that your friend had either a few Chang too many or was pulling your leg when he mentioned the figures :o

I have the same problem, i have about 20k pounds coming over in few months time and i thought what's the best way to invest it.

What about open an account in Singapore or Hong Kong or where i can get a good % interest and open it without much hassle?

I have the same problem, i have about 20k pounds coming over in few months time and i thought what's the best way to invest it. What about open an account in Singapore or Hong Kong or where i can get a good % interest and open it without much hassle?

the problem is that presently no bank in SIN or HKG pays "good" interest. you have to go to Europe where a few cash hungry banks still exist and you have to check carefully the fine print and whether your money is safe.

In Singapore you will get hardly anything for interest. Better off to throw it in a TISCO account here and get 4%, up to 100K Baht. Not to sure about TISCO though, few and far between.

who or what is TISCO Vibe? :o

Hello,

my wife and I recently sold a few properties here in Thailand that we had sat on for a few years.

Now with all the economic problems and the uncertain nature of the pound we are unsure what to do? Should we keep the money here or move it to the UK, offshore etc? I have never invested in anything except property before. I know nothing about the stock market, futures or investing in Gold. Does anyone have any good advice for what I should look into?

Many thanks

I m buying silver bullion kilo bars at this time...I m looking for a large increase over the next decade or so. Even in the short to medium term, I will look to buy and sell silver and gold. Gold is coming into its true role as a true currency. Look at gold in terms of every other asset between 2007-2008. It ended up 6% this year, in USD terms, which had an artificial rally.

I deal with these guys...Guernsey Mint

Also www.goldmoney.com...

However, I like to have the physical in my house also, at least you know you 100% have the bullion. But goldmoney from all accounts seems a very good way of diversfying. I m not keeping money in sterling. The credit default swap on UK government debt is now showing that the UK has more chance of defaulting on its debt that Mcdonalds, or HSBC bank, which is scary. With several debt auctions this year in the UK, and all this Keynesian sillyness going on, I would not be in sterling. That goes for USD also, euro.

People say that in a period of forced liquidation, deflationary period, that cash is king...However, gold is a currency, its scarcity gives it value, its supply cannot be increased meaningfully like paper money. So even in this deflation, all assets have experienced deflation in terms of gold. Look at the price of all assets priced in gold in between 2007-2008, stocks, real estate, oil, sterling, euro...

Now thats a deflationary environment. In an inflationary environment, gold and silver will go to the moon. I expect inflation to kick in the next 18-36months. It is hard to know exactly when, but it will come...they are printing too much money.

Another idea is to short long term US treasuries this year...the last bubble.

Also investment in commodities. Look at the supply and demand, inventories are near historic lows, and the longterm demand is there. I have done a recent study of wheat, and I think it will spike up again at some point.

Also asian stocks, some are now paying double digit percentage dividends, and trading at low Pe's. The japanese market is at its 1981 levels. Taiwan is cheap, China is cheap.

As always do your own research...I also want to buy "call" options on

Any other option to get a decent and safe % interest in Thailand or not?

You could take a look here with regards to other Thai banks:

www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

Or here in relation to Thai bonds and debentures:

http://asianbondsonline.adb.org/thailand/thailand.php

But as another correspondent has pointed out, "decent rates" now are about as common as hens teeth

Edited by chiangmaibruce