Your Local Fable's

Moonrakers

I'd like this to stay here in general, as opposed to being moved to the pub section. For me it is Thai related because if we where not here then we would not be on Thaivisa anyway. OK a weak effort so perhaps you Thai people could jump in to keep it on track.

Anyway:

Mr. Toad earlier asked if I am a moonraker. It might be nonsense to most but he knows of this old fable:

Moons ago in Wiltshire (Where I come from) their where two bootleggers who had a barrel of contraband (Moonshine) hidden in a lake.

One night whilst trying to fish the contraband out with a rake, they where approached by the police type people who noticed them acting suspiciously.

"What are you doing", the police asked.

Thinking (not so) quickly the two guilty gents replied that they where trying to rake the (Reflection) of the moon from the pond.

Considering the thick, droll accents of the Wiltshire men the police decided that the two men where actually so stupid as to try to rake the moon from the lake and so the police walked away leaving the Moonrakers to their bounty.

And so with us moonrakers, we ain't always fick (sic), but even when we are we can still outwit you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about your's then?

Edited by globalj

Any Monkey Hangers on the Forum?

The Monkey Hangers have a good one.

I'll tell the story but wait a while to give a Monkey Hangar the opportunity first (If there are any here)

Isn't Peter Reid the manager of Thailand? There's your link to Thailand - oh sorry, he's a Monkey Heeed, not a Monkey Hanger.

Jeff Stelling is a Monkey Hanger though, surely he's a member of TV.

What does this nonsense have to do with anything, let alone Thailand?

Lighten up a bit, you might learn something.

Anyway, I think moonrakers (aka globalj) :o was asking if there any such stories related to Thailand

Anyway, it's not doing any harm and could be an interesting thread.

I take it that their are no monkey hangers on T.V. then, here is their story:

One stormy day during the Napoleonic Wars, a French ship was wrecked off the Hartlepool coast.

The fishermen of Hartlepool, fearing an invasion, kept a close watch on the French vessel as it struggled against the storm, but when the vessel was severely battered and sunk they turned their attention to the wreckage washed ashore.

The only survivor, clinging onto the wreckage, was the ship's pet monkey looking wet and sorrowful and dressed to amuse in a military style uniform.

The fishermen questioned the monkey and held a beach-based trial.

Unfamiliar with what a Frenchman looked like and obviously unable to make sense of the replies it gave, they came to the conclusion that this monkey was a French spy and should be sentenced to death.

The unfortunate survivor is hung as a French spy. The unfortunate creature was to die by hanging, with the mast of a fishing boat providing a convenient gallows.

Now surely Wiltshire and Hartlepool can't be the only two places in the world with such stories......................................