If You Died Today.

Maigo6

George's thread about ATM's has me wondering......

You walk into the path of a drunken Farang doing 176 Kph in his Fortuner.... :o

Would your wife/gf/partner be financially secure, or would your money be tied up in some account that they would have no access to ?

Fixed accounts have no ATM access right, so what would happen to that money ?

Edited by Maigo6

same here, my wife can get at our money at anytime.

I have insurance and what not which she would also get.

no wonder there are so many divorces in Thailand, if there are so many people who do not trust their wifes.

PROBABLY A THAI DRESSED AS A FALANG :D

Would your wife/gf/partner be financially secure, or would your money be tied up in some account that they would have no access to ?

I am trying to make sure that my debts exceed assets at the point of my demise then she will not have that problem.

Edited by Chaimai

The one thing I don't have and should do is a will....

Same here.

As for ATM access. My Mrs has my PIN but that would be the least of her worries. Ensuring that she and my daughter get hold of my pensions, life insurance policies and more importantly, my properties. My Mrs wouldn't know where to start with the UK probate system. As a matter of fact, neither would I !!

A will is definately required, me thinks.

Actually I was killed by a pick-up truck in my former life, hence my phobia of them now. The Fortuner is a glorified pick-up ridden by little people who want to be big and "khon baan nawk", usually married to a "whitey"who pretend like many "noveau riche" thet they have made it in life :o

These poeple, who have such an inferiority complex, act aggressively on the roads which turns them into killing machines.

If I died tomorrow, my wife would have to go out and work - such is life. I'm talking with a finacial advisor at the moment about life insurance. Thanks for the reminder MaiGohok, I'm going hiking up Pu Gradeung next week where there are lots of these killing machines.

Wow I find that REALLY annoying, sometimes Maigo I wonder if you are based in reality even a little bit. You are 1000 times more likely to die at the hands of a Thai driver than a falang and you know this. Over 300 people died over a 4 day period during the holidays in driving accidents, most of them a result of drunk driving, come SongKran that will be more like 1000 deaths due to drunk driving. EVERY YEAR. It is practically written in stone by god, Thai people have a drinking and driving problem, this is not a generalisation or bashing it is simply the truth. But you go on thinking the evil falang might run you over one day, just dont be looking at the falang driver so intently you walk into the path of a Thai bus.

Thanks for the reminder MaiGohok, I'm going hiking up Pu Gradeung next week where there are lots of these killing machines.

Yeah Neeranam, be careful in the Phu Kradung area, Fortuners everywhere waiting to mow down Farangs in Mazdas at the first opportunity. :o

You're going up Phu Kradung eh.... Take your big coat mate, it may well be very cold up there, warmed up a little recently but I saw 12c in early December, end of this week is predicted to be in the single numbers at night in Loei, so maybe 4 or 5c up Phu Kradung. :D

Ok in the daytime, but the temp sure drops at night. :D

We both have made a will and deposited it at the District Office.I that she can get the money from my bank accounts and she that her brothers and sisters,who according to thai law would receive 50% of her assets,will get nothing.Furthermore I was appointed by her as the executer of the will this is important because you can take your time to sell for example house and land.

Edited by bunnaag

Thanks for the reminder MaiGohok, I'm going hiking up Pu Gradeung next week where there are lots of these killing machines.

Yeah Neeranam, be careful in the Phu Kradung area, Fortuners everywhere waiting to mow down Farangs in Mazdas at the first opportunity. :o

You're going up Phu Kradung eh.... Take your big coat mate, it may well be very cold up there, warmed up a little recently but I saw 12c in early December, end of this week is predicted to be in the single numbers at night in Loei, so maybe 4 or 5c up Phu Kradung. :D

Won't be staying overnight unless any locals with a log fire invite us in.

same here, my wife can get at our money at anytime.

I have insurance and what not which she would also get.

no wonder there are so many divorces in Thailand, if there are so many people who do not trust their wifes.

My parents have been married for 60 years and my mother could not trust my father with access to all the money. We could all trust him with our life but not with the money. Many people can not be trusted with the money but that does not mean you have to divorce. Many people with drinking/ gambling/ shopping / etc problems that do perfectly fine as long as their access to cash is restricted.

Won't be staying overnight unless any locals with a log fire invite us in.

All the locals have got Pick ups, Fortuners or other 4 x 4's, you would have a sleepless night worrying about them all being out to get you ! :D

We both have made a will and deposited it at the District Office.I that she can get the money from my bank accounts and she that her brothers and sisters,who according to thai law would receive 50% of her assets,will get nothing.Furthermore I was appointed by her as the executer of the will this is important because you can take your time to sell for example house and land.

We both have wills lodged with the Public Trustee of our home state in Australia. Is there any good reason to also lodge a will with the District Office here? It has never occurred to me until now. Does it make it easier for my wife to change joint accounts to her own name? Any other reason?

She should be able to take care of her self. We have Health and Life Insurance, ATM, some saving Pension, she has assess to it all. My main goal while still alive is to TRY to show how to use it wisely. Bottom line you could leave a Billion Baht plus and it could be gone in no time if not manage properly :o:D:D:D

Edited by BigSnake

The bigger question is, "would I be financially secure if my Thai wife were to be mowed down by Maigo in his Fortuner?" :o

Bearing in mind that I've just posted in the testing your wife thread that I trust my wife completely; yes she would be financially secure, as I've included her on life insurance, pension nomination forms etc - but I haven't told her that - much better to be safe than sorry :D

P.s. some people take some of the posts on here far too literally.

The bigger question is, "would I be financially secure if my Thai wife were to be mowed down by Maigo in his Fortuner?" :o

Bearing in mind that I've just posted in the testing your wife thread that I trust my wife completely; yes she would be financially secure, as I've included her on life insurance, pension nomination forms etc - but I haven't told her that - much better to be safe than sorry :D

P.s. some people take some of the posts on here far too literally.

Never be worth more dead than alive.

I have life insurance, as does my husband. Mine goes 75% in trust to my son, to be controlled by my mum until he reaches 21. 25% to my husband, who at under 40 & with a large amount of land in thailand doesn't need a load of cash. he knows it & agrees it should majority go to the boy as he is not the best at financial things anyway & if something were to then happen to him our son might end up with nothing due to Thailands wierd inheritance laws :o

My husbands life insurance all comes to me though cause I know how to handle money & the best way to invest & would trust my sons inheritance to be looked after by my mum & sister 100% should something then happen to me.

A will is the most important thing to have though imo.

Got to plan ahead :D

DC is the first poster I have seen that has mentioned pension nominee. Are most people on here aware that your Thai wife can collect half of your private pensions, once you have passed on, for the rest of her life. Not something that you want to overlook....but I think its a good idea to register her as your wife with your pension company....I have.

HL :o

I have life insurance, as does my husband. Mine goes 75% in trust to my son, to be controlled by my mum until he reaches 21. 25% to my husband, who at under 40 & with a large amount of land in thailand doesn't need a load of cash. he knows it & agrees it should majority go to the boy as he is not the best at financial things anyway & if something were to then happen to him our son might end up with nothing due to Thailands wierd inheritance laws :D

My husbands life insurance all comes to me though cause I know how to handle money & the best way to invest & would trust my sons inheritance to be looked after by my mum & sister 100% should something then happen to me.

A will is the most important thing to have though imo.

Got to plan ahead :D

I agree Boo..but I have not plan any thing yet :D

At lease my son will be safe untill he is 18 :o 13 years to go and plan. :D

My wife and I both have wills stipulating the distribution of assets. Pensions and other Trust holdings we have are not covered by our wills but by 'Expression of Wishes'. (There is a legal reason under English Law why this is so - essentially to avoid taxes but other issues too). Property we have in Thailand is of course under Thai wills.

Our accounts are held jointly so those are always accessible.

The main consideration is not that of me or my wife, but of our children and ensuring that wealth passed to them is protected against misuse by them or anyone else for that matter, educational funding etc.

---

Those here who 'control the finances' of their Thai partner, and it seems to be quite common that the Thai partners do not have open access to funds, ought perhaps to give some thought as to what impact suddenly presenting them with open access to a large (even huge) amount of cash and assets might have, particularly when they are themselves suffering what I presume is grief over your death.

Oh shutup and fuken die you idiot.

Juz be sure you write your will in your wifes name.

Then all will be happy.

Oh shutup and fuken die you idiot.

Juz be sure you write your will in your wifes name.

Then all will be happy.

:o

LOL.......

Drinking and posting don't mix mate.

Nice post though. :D

Edited by Maigo6