Is Thailand Getting Too Expensive?

bberg

Indeed the French system is correct certainly since they put NF(nouvelle formule) so you van realy trust the star system.

The Scottish and Welsh have some sort of AA and RAC system as well.

Whether the French updated their ratings system or not, the point is to see who is awarding all these stars. I can open up a cesspit of a hotel and then award myself any number of stars. At least one Dubai hotel is now proclaiming it is a "seven star" hotel (just how does a "seven star" differ from a five, and what happend to "six stars?")  But if it is an unaffiliate group doing the rating, and if you understadn the rating criteria, then the rating a hotel receives is probably a good indication of its quality or lack thereof.

Re the Hilton in Bangkok: Stayed at it for 4 days around last new years eve and it is 5 star. As for the Burj al Arab you mention in Dubai at 7 stars, well having seen it first hand it does get 7 stars for tacky gold leaf everywhere and perhaps the biggest lobby aquariums this side of Siam Paragon, but the rooms are of course top of the line, but different than regular 5 stars, I don't see much difference. (now that's a run-on sentence).

Well, I don't always agree with your posts, but you do know quite a bit.  I dare say not too many posters have even heard of the Burj al Arab.

All this star inflation reminds me of Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) in This is Spinal Tap. He describes why his amplifier goes up to "11," because sometimes he needs it to have "that extra push over the cliff." That is the same thing with hotel. Same rooms, same service, but now it is "five star" or "six star." 

it's kinda like the guy who goes around telling everyone he is the best shag he knows... :o

Yep.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed the French system is correct certainly since they put NF(nouvelle formule) so you van realy trust the star system.

The Scottish and Welsh have some sort of AA and RAC system as well.

Whether the French updated their ratings system or not, the point is to see who is awarding all these stars. I can open up a cesspit of a hotel and then award myself any number of stars. At least one Dubai hotel is now proclaiming it is a "seven star" hotel (just how does a "seven star" differ from a five, and what happend to "six stars?")  But if it is an unaffiliate group doing the rating, and if you understadn the rating criteria, then the rating a hotel receives is probably a good indication of its quality or lack thereof.

Re the Hilton in Bangkok: Stayed at it for 4 days around last new years eve and it is 5 star. As for the Burj al Arab you mention in Dubai at 7 stars, well having seen it first hand it does get 7 stars for tacky gold leaf everywhere and perhaps the biggest lobby aquariums this side of Siam Paragon, but the rooms are of course top of the line, but different than regular 5 stars, I don't see much difference. (now that's a run-on sentence).

Well, I don't always agree with your posts, but you do know quite a bit.  I dare say not too many posters have even heard of the Burj al Arab.

All this star inflation reminds me of Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) in This is Spinal Tap. He describes why his amplifier goes up to "11," because sometimes he needs it to have "that extra push over the cliff." That is the same thing with hotel. Same rooms, same service, but now it is "five star" or "six star." 

One of my mates was a senior marketing exec' with Gillette and I had a joke with him when the "new, improved" sensor - whatever - razor came out, now with 3 blades to shave you even closer.

I asked him what happens when you need a new ad' campaign, answer, "4 blades" and sure enough. When does it stop?

Burj al Arab? Is that a hotel then :o

What are you talking about, the Hilton on the river is 5 star, but then again I guess you think the Sukhothai isnt either.

Hmm, Hiltons are usually 3 or 4 star. That one on the river may very well be 5 star (at the lower end of price for those hotels in Bangkok claiming to be 5-star, however), but its definitely the exception rather than the rule for this chain.

What are you talking about, the Hilton on the river is 5 star, but then again I guess you think the Sukhothai isnt either.

Hmm, Hiltons are usually 3 or 4 star. That one on the river may very well be 5 star (at the lower end of price for those hotels in Bangkok claiming to be 5-star, however), but its definitely the exception rather than the rule for this chain.

No shit, Sherlock?

Thanks to all that share their opinion the topic was started about. Whether Thailand is too expensive is a very personal thing indeed. My original quote was "Is Thailand getting too expensive" and I guess it depends what values each of us have. WIth regards to the mention breakfast it is a high rise 97% over a few months only, however, the breakfast is indeed very nice!

The current situation with some currencies has fallen so much compared to the THB it think many look closer at value then before. For new visitors to Thailand who don't have anything to compare with, i.e been in Bangkok 2 years ago etc, I think the value for them is still good.

But quality things and most imported things are not so much different to what Europe has to offer anymore and more so when the currency is so bad!

Computer, digital cam etc I can buy in Norway at the same price as in Thailand and also get the right things with it and not like here where most things are kept back, i.e manuals, cd's.

I bought a Toyota Yaris last year, UK prices is cheaper while Norwegian price is about 50% more.

We can compare, and we should, but I still value life in Thailand....but everything has a limit and it is linked, on my behalf, to value for what I spend.

4* hotels are Holiday In, for example. How does that compare with your B&B?

I wrote that the most cheap bed and breakfast in my home town cost 2500 Baht,

The holliday Inn- Chiang Mai rate for a double twin cost 2450 Baht

so an Holliday Inn in Thailand is cheaper than an bed and breakfast in my home town.

Meaning that hotels in Thailand are very cheap. Capiche :o

because you can have an bed and Breakfast in Thailand for lower than 100 Baht. for the cheapest one,

its 25x cheaper than in my home town.

DONT FORGET THAT MOST HOTELS IN THAILAND ARE FOR THE ROOM,UK IS PER PERSON IN MANY HOTELS

Some posters mention quality clothes in europe compared to here.one only needs shorts and tops to live in thailand,so no suits to purchase,ties,long sleeved shirts,trousers,all expensive.The biggest savings by far for me is that i dont need to buy trousers at 50 quid a pair or designer shirts,tops,even pants.i used to buy ties at 25 quid and a shirt for 100 quid.must have been off my trolly or too much money.

Living on Phuket, over the last few days I've been really thinking about living costs here compared to the UK (with the plummeting exchange rate).

Rental accommodation is far cheaper here as is eating out, but I'm struggling to think of anything else!

Any suggestions of other living expenses that are cheaper here in Phuket would be greatly appreciated to cheer me up!

Some posters mention quality clothes in europe compared to here.one only needs shorts and tops to live in thailand,so no suits to purchase,ties,long sleeved shirts,trousers,all expensive.

:o

I can just see walking into a major International company in Thailand wearing only shorts and a singlet. What a hoot!

4* hotels are Holiday In, for example. How does that compare with your B&B?

I wrote that the most cheap bed and breakfast in my home town cost 2500 Baht,

The holliday Inn- Chiang Mai rate for a double twin cost 2450 Baht

so an Holliday Inn in Thailand is cheaper than an bed and breakfast in my home town.

Meaning that hotels in Thailand are very cheap. Capiche :o

because you can have an bed and Breakfast in Thailand for lower than 100 Baht. for the cheapest one,

its 25x cheaper than in my home town.

DONT FORGET THAT MOST HOTELS IN THAILAND ARE FOR THE ROOM,UK IS PER PERSON IN MANY HOTELS

If you book a tour or holliday by travel agency, yes

if you book direct to hotel, no

Living on Phuket, over the last few days I've been really thinking about living costs here compared to the UK (with the plummeting exchange rate).

Rental accommodation is far cheaper here as is eating out, but I'm struggling to think of anything else!

Any suggestions of other living expenses that are cheaper here in Phuket would be greatly appreciated to cheer me up!

Are you insane? Laundry, tailoring, having something fixed, hair cuts, movies... I could go on all day.

Are you insane? Laundry, tailoring, having something fixed, hair cuts, movies... I could go on all day.

Laundry? Here - and in the West - we use washing machines.

Tailoring? Really, how much money do you spend on clothes?

Having something fixed? Can only think of computers and the costs are slightly cheaper here.

Hair cuts? Yes, good point.

Movies? Yes, again good point, cheaper - but hardly an essential of life!

Edited by F1fanatic

Not forgetting:

petrol, gas, electric, council tax, water rates, eating in, eating out, alcohol (in most places), clothing, public transport - including taxi's, road tax, MOT, car service, car valet, VAT, internet, satallite TV, clothing, dental treatment, fixing the plumbing......

that took about 30 seconds and I too could continue. Thailand is getting a lot more expensive than it has been for the last few years - especially in places like Phuket, but in comparison to the UK, still.....cheap as chips.

If you lived in a middle sized town in Thailand, and not in a tourist area you will find out that daily expenses are still very cheap.

In Nakhon Sawan I get a feet and hand manicure in a nice beauty salon for 20 baht , and an hair cut for 50 Baht., Kauw Path home delivered from the walk side down stairs for 20 Baht.

Dinner for 2 persons European steak and Thai food, include starters coffee, ice cream and beverages at nice restaurant of an hotel besides a lake with live band (jazz musicians) about 600 Baht. include a beautiful sexy dressed personal waitress. ( my wife always says, I don't go for the food, but for the view)

But if you order a big size Pizza from Pizza Hut its indeed expensive.

I had a small accident with my car and replaced the front fender from a Toyota Altis for 2500 Baht(original Toyota parts), was dun in 48 hour, garage re-painted twice because they said the color was not exactly the same. repaired and fix a flat tire in a pump on Highway for 100 Baht.

Clean and wax an 4WD SUV, 150 Baht.

Taxi from Ban Bua Thong to Suva about 20K for 600 Baht.

In my home town a taxi drive from my home to station 1K cost me 500 Baht.

Dinner with 5 adults and 2 teenager at Fuji 1400 Baht. (included some extra take away).

This will cost me in Europe an arm and a leg.

Who is still saying that Thailand became too expensive?

Maybe we stay in a different Thailand.

Not forgetting:

petrol, gas, electric, council tax, water rates, eating in, eating out, alcohol (in most places), clothing, public transport - including taxi's, road tax, MOT, car service, car valet, VAT, internet, satallite TV, clothing, dental treatment, fixing the plumbing......

that took about 30 seconds and I too could continue. Thailand is getting a lot more expensive than it has been for the last few years - especially in places like Phuket, but in comparison to the UK, still.....cheap as chips.

Petrol? Good point -FAR cheaper!

Gas/electric? More expensive than in the UK.

Council tax/Water rates? No council tax, but water is cheaper. However, the convenience of drinking water on tap is sorely missed!

Clothing? The crap is marginally cheaper, but otherwise there's little difference.

Eating in? No cheaper now here than in the UK.

Alcohol? Check the prices. Beer is cheaper, but anything else is only slightly cheaper.

Internet/satellite TV? Slightly cheaper, but the service is FAR worse!!

VAT? Included in the above prices when comparing to the UK.

Dental services? Yes, but hardly something that one takes into account in day to day living expenses!

Have I missed anything?

Edited by F1fanatic

But again you are confusing the issue of the difference between prices in Antwerp and Thailand (the absolute difference) with the question of whether Thailand itself is becoming significantly more expensive over time and closing the gap (i.e. the relativities as compared with say 3 years ago). Yes, of course the cost of living in most Thai cities is cheaper than average Western cities (cf salaries) but the striking bargains that were there 5 years ago look less enticiing today. As I said in an earlier post, you could indeed have had a first-class hotel in KK (Sofitel) for 1500 baht a few years ago, but now the price is 2900 baht. Nor at that time would you have had a current thread on the TV travel forum asking if there are central Bangkok hotels with pools for 2000 baht. Give an honest answer: if you really have as much experience of Thailand over several years as your posts suggest, haven't you noticed the upward creep in prices?

Some posters mention quality clothes in europe compared to here.one only needs shorts and tops to live in thailand,so no suits to purchase,ties,long sleeved shirts,trousers,all expensive.

:o

I can just see walking into a major International company in Thailand wearing only shorts and a singlet. What a hoot!

1/ i dont wear singlets

2/ i am retired early so dont get jealous

3/ i can do what i want when i want

4/ happy hunting with your job in hot weather,sweating like a rpaist

But again you are confusing the issue of the difference between prices in Antwerp and Thailand (the absolute difference) with the question of whether Thailand itself is becoming significantly more expensive over time and closing the gap (i.e. the relativities as compared with say 3 years ago). Yes, of course the cost of living in most Thai cities is cheaper than average Western cities (cf salaries) but the striking bargains that were there 5 years ago look less enticiing today. As I said in an earlier post, you could indeed have had a first-class hotel in KK (Sofitel) for 1500 baht a few years ago, but now the price is 2900 baht. Nor at that time would you have had a current thread on the TV travel forum asking if there are central Bangkok hotels with pools for 2000 baht. Give an honest answer: if you really have as much experience of Thailand over several years as your posts suggest, haven't you noticed the upward creep in prices?

Is it even relevant to the Op's point?

Somehow I doubt whether he cares about hotel prices. We're talking about living expenses for people living here.

Not forgetting:

Gas/electric? More expensive than in the UK. I pay around £70 a month for a mid sized modern, well insulated family home - do you really pay more than this?

Council tax/Water rates? No council tax, but water is cheaper. However, the convenience of drinking water on tap is sorely missed! If you don't pay council tax, then you're already about £1,500 a year up on me. I'd also miss the tap water though.

Clothing? The crap is marginally cheaper, but otherwise there's little difference. I don't know where you're shopping, but comparing 'like for like' I find it far cheaper in Thailand for everything from shorts to suits, unless you are buying from tourist malls such as Siam Paragon.

Eating in? No cheaper now here than in the UK. Fresh fruit, fish and rice, are you really telling me they are more expensive than in England? Mango's £1+ each in Tesco this week.

Alcohol? Check the prices. Beer is cheaper, but anything else is only slightly cheaper. I only drink beer :D ......and the odd single malt, I'll give you that one.

Internet/satellite TV? Slightly cheaper, but the service is FAR worse!! I pay about £60 a month for Sky, not including installation and servicing etc - is this only slightly cheaper than Thailand? I paid for the Ashes series a couple of years ago for just a few hundred baht.

VAT? Included in the above prices when comparing to the UK. I'll give you this one, but I was trying to make the point about much higher taxes in The UK.

Dental services? Yes, but hardly something that one takes into account in day to day living expenses! I take it into account as it has to be done and has to be paid for - and with far less hassle regarding registerring and booking appointments.

Have I missed anything? Quite a lot it seems :o

Not forgetting:

Gas/electric? More expensive than in the UK. I pay around £70 a month for a mid sized modern, well insulated family home - do you really pay more than this?

Council tax/Water rates? No council tax, but water is cheaper. However, the convenience of drinking water on tap is sorely missed! If you don't pay council tax, then you're already about £1,500 a year up on me. I'd also miss the tap water though.

Clothing? The crap is marginally cheaper, but otherwise there's little difference. I don't know where you're shopping, but comparing 'like for like' I find it far cheaper in Thailand for everything from shorts to suits, unless you are buying from tourist malls such as Siam Paragon.

Eating in? No cheaper now here than in the UK. Fresh fruit, fish and rice, are you really telling me they are more expensive than in England? Mango's £1+ each in Tesco this week.

Alcohol? Check the prices. Beer is cheaper, but anything else is only slightly cheaper. I only drink beer :D ......and the odd single malt, I'll give you that one.

Internet/satellite TV? Slightly cheaper, but the service is FAR worse!! I pay about £60 a month for Sky, not including installation and servicing etc - is this only slightly cheaper than Thailand? I paid for the Ashes series a couple of years ago for just a few hundred baht.

VAT? Included in the above prices when comparing to the UK. I'll give you this one, but I was trying to make the point about much higher taxes in The UK.

Dental services? Yes, but hardly something that one takes into account in day to day living expenses! I take it into account as it has to be done and has to be paid for - and with far less hassle regarding registerring and booking appointments.

Gas/Electric - I pay about 60 pounds a month for a 2 bed place, but only 1 is used.

Clothes? Most come from Zara in Central Mall, and they're not cheap with the current exchange rate!

Fresh fruit and veg? - Yes, I can no longer see the difference in price. Mangos might be cheaper, but little else is.

Inernet/satellite? - I pay about 45 pounds a month for a VERY basic TV/ internet service. Believe me, the TV stations are crap, and the internet is appalling!

Please try again.

Not forgetting:

Gas/Electric - I pay about 60 pounds a month for a 2 bed place, but only 1 is used.

Clothes? Most come from Zara in Central Mall, and they're not cheap with the current exchange rate!

Fresh fruit and veg? - Yes, I can no longer see the difference in price. Mangos might be cheaper, but little else is.

Inernet/satellite? - I pay about 45 pounds a month for a VERY basic TV/ internet service. Believe me, the TV stations are crap, and the internet is appalling!

Please try again.

Don't think I will, I'm happy with the points I've made - but if you like, you can give me your money and your shopping list, I'll go out and get the things on it and keep the change if you really think these things are more expensive in Bangkok than in the UK.

Not forgetting:

Please try again.

Don't think I will, I'm happy with the points I've made - but if you like, you can give me your money and your shopping list, I'll go out and get the things on it and keep the change if you really think these things are more expensive in Bangkok than in the UK.

How to argue a point you can't argue. I rest my case.

I'd have to go along with F1 on this, I don't know what you pay in UK for Internet, but in Thailand I pay 1500 Baht + VAT for a 256 sattelite connection, OK, I don't have a landline and that service hasn't let me down, but apart from e-mail and surfing, it's not that great, and its expensive.

For much less in Tokyo you can get a lightning fast connection, I downloaded ' Dark Knight ' at speeds of up to over 650Kb/s, I would be lucky to get 6Kb/s in Thailand, although I've never actually tried any downloading there so maybe I'm exaggerating.

I downloaded an entire movie in less than 45 minutes here tonight !! :o

Star Wars : The Clone Wars = 42 Mins 50 seconds download time.

I think for internet that fast in Thailand it would cost a lot of money.

A Bottle of Grand Marnier in Japan is much cheaper than what it is in Thailand too. :D

Edited by Maigo6

I'd have to go along with F1 on this, I don't know what you pay in UK for Internet, but in Thailand I pay 1500 Baht + VAT for a 256 sattelite connection, OK, I don't have a landline and that service hasn't let me down, but apart from e-mail and surfing, it's not that great, and its expensive.

For much less in Tokyo you can get a lightning fast connection, I downloaded ' Dark Knight ' at speeds of up to over 650Kb/s, I would be lucky to get 6Kb/s in Thailand, although I've never actually tried any downloading there so maybe I'm exaggerating.

I downloaded an entire movie in less than 45 minutes here tonight !! :D

Star Wars : The Clone Wars = 42 Mins 50 seconds download time.

I think for internet that fast in Thailand it would cost a lot of money.

A Bottle of Grand Marnier in Japan is much cheaper than what it is in Thailand too. :D

The quality and speed of the internet and content of TV programmes is a different point to the actual cost of it. I'd expect these to be more advanced in the UK.

As for the cost - I guess you've got more experience than I have over there, so I'll bow to your knowledge on this point, but to reiterate, I pay around £60 per month for Sky - and this doesn't include internet access - or - TV licence fee at £140 per year - so in fact considering all this, I still believe I'm right - as usual :D ......although at least you get the point Maigo - unlike some for who it goes completely over their heads :o