Bangkok Mugging Attempts

Haddo

I wanted to make fellow members aware of a couple of "mugging" attempts I've been on the receiving end of in the past couple of months.

On both ocassions they didn't get anything off me.

Some Thais must be getting desperate... Went to the supermarket yesterday after picking up my g/f from the bus terminal. After paying we went to the pharmacy just outside of the cashier. Both of us looked for things on the shelves, while a middle-aged Thai male approached our shopping trolley, putting his elbow on it, while inspecting our bags and shopping... :o I had yo tell my g/f to keep an eye on the trolley, while I paid for the goods.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... another guy comes up an grabs your trouser pockets trying to force whatever is in them out.

All my pockets are zippered, velcro-ed or buttoned, it's all I can do to try to get anything out of them myself in any reasonable amount of time so good luck to pick-pockets,

Amazing how many people carry wallets, passports, in loose, easily accessible open shirt or pant pockets. :o

Apparently Bangkok theives are now using stanley blades to cut open the victims pocket to liberate it's contents. So zipped pocket or not you can still be pick-pocketed. I recommend using a charger (might not work in advent of Ladyboy gang attack, mind you).

Edited by Geekfreaklover

In the last month or so, I have had run ins with a gang of geezer birds underneath Asoke BTS station, and then a group of lads on Sukumvit Road close to Villa Supermarket around soi 31. Both groups were 6 or 7 strong and both groups use something in their one hand to mask what the other hand is doing. The ladyboys used their handbags, the lads used old worn out bunches of flowers. In both instances I realised what was about to happen so put my wallet and phone in the same front right pocket. Their approach both times was the same, in that one would rush up to you and be very intense, being all in your face whilst they are patting you down to see what pockets your stuff is in. They then seem to relay this information as within seconds the others descend and are all focussed on one area. Its pretty clever stuff really.

They seem to wait where the pavement narrows due to a staircase or escalator so it is more cramped and you have less room to get away. Both times as they approached me I put my hands up towards them and warned them to stay away. They didnt take a blind bit of notice, and as I continued to push my way through whilst keeping my pocket protected I was punched, once by a lady boy and then a couple of weeks later by one of the older lads (looked about 17 years old). Both times this seemed to be a last ditch attempt to get my hand away from my pocket as by that point there were at least 2 of them stood behind me trying to get at the pocket from that direction. Both times I managed to get through with all valuables intact, but I think that was largely because I was sober. Had I been 4 sheets to the wind I would have emerged on the other side of the group completly naked!

In the last month or so, I have had run ins with a gang of geezer birds underneath Asoke BTS station, and then a group of lads on Sukumvit Road close to Villa Supermarket around soi 31. Both groups were 6 or 7 strong and both groups use something in their one hand to mask what the other hand is doing. The ladyboys used their handbags, the lads used old worn out bunches of flowers. In both instances I realised what was about to happen so put my wallet and phone in the same front right pocket. Their approach both times was the same, in that one would rush up to you and be very intense, being all in your face whilst they are patting you down to see what pockets your stuff is in. They then seem to relay this information as within seconds the others descend and are all focussed on one area. Its pretty clever stuff really.

They seem to wait where the pavement narrows due to a staircase or escalator so it is more cramped and you have less room to get away. Both times as they approached me I put my hands up towards them and warned them to stay away. They didnt take a blind bit of notice, and as I continued to push my way through whilst keeping my pocket protected I was punched, once by a lady boy and then a couple of weeks later by one of the older lads (looked about 17 years old). Both times this seemed to be a last ditch attempt to get my hand away from my pocket as by that point there were at least 2 of them stood behind me trying to get at the pocket from that direction. Both times I managed to get through with all valuables intact, but I think that was largely because I was sober. Had I been 4 sheets to the wind I would have emerged on the other side of the group completly naked!

what time of the day did this happen?

Would you have felt better if these ladies said "Good on you mate!!" instead of "Be carefull"?

I wanted to make fellow members aware of a couple of "mugging" attempts I've been on the receiving end of in the past couple of months.

On both ocassions they didn't get anything off me.

I challenged one of guys in Thai as he walked off - but then a couple of Philipino sounding ladies came up asking what had happened (in English) saying "be careful"

With hindsight, they may have been part of the same gang

Known to target farangs and Japanese etc.

please pass on

thanks

I bought a security wallet with incidents like this in mind.. It has a loop on it which your belt passes through, and then tucks inside your trousers. Feels like a normal wallet, but would take brute force to steal.

Sounds fun.

Fun, that is until the belt snaps and not only do you lose your wallet and belt, but your trousers drop to the floor also!

:o

You do have to be careful when you undo your belt for any reason..

what time of the day did this happen?

Same bunch of kids try to do this for me couple of weeks ago. Opposite Sukhumvit soi 18 where sidewalk is narrow next to the stairs for the bridge. Had to keep pushing them away while keeping my other hand in my pocket protecting my wallet. Not professionals yet as they did not manage to get anything, wait couple of years and they learn the trade :o

"the crackhead ladyboys"

doubt they are on crack- yabaa most likely.

i have twice caught ladyboys trying to get into my bag.

Yabaa, coke, meth, ice, whatever. They all crackheads, but, technically, you are correct.

Don't forget, you can still kick them in the balls.

Over a year ago I was in Phuket enjoying myself in a dance club. A woman (a stranger to me) began to dance behind me and the girl I was dancing with did not seem to mind so I guessed it to be her friend. Well this woman who was dancing behind me began to touch me and soon her hands were in my back pocket and her hand was holding my wallet, (My pants had big deep pockets). I removed her hands from my pockets but she tried again and again to get her hands in my pockets!

I left the bar and went outside. I seen some people I had met earlier sitting and talking. They invited me over and I stood talking to them as they sat and drank. I saw the woman from the bar come around the corner, walked up behind me and shoved her hands back into my back pockets again! I had to wrench her hands from my wallet and told her to leave me alone.

I told the group I was talking to that this woman has been trying to pick my pocket all night long. She said I think too much and she only wanted to feel my butt.... The group I was talking with (Both Thai and Non-Thai) said nothing and only smiled. After a while the woman left and the group I was with asked me to sit with them... I was so pissed by the whole incident that the last thing I wanted to do was spend time with people that were no help to me in that situation.

I have not been back to Thailand yet.

One thing I did come to realize is that you spend your time in Thailand at your own risk, no one cares about you and do not expect any help when you need it, for the most part you are on your own.

... One thing I did come to realize is that you spend your time in Thailand at your own risk, no one cares about you and do not expect any help when you need it, for the most part you are on your own.

Unfortunately very true,

Reading from the prepared text, :o.. you need to be a soldier of one, eyes in the back of your head, contingency plans, keep your wits about you and never let your guard down, ...

Reality is I bumble my way thru but like Forest Gump it all works out. :D

Edited by cobra

I thought the ladymen only got up to these tricks in Pattaya but I guess it's everywhere, there antics are

becoming a daily occurence(recent example below) and of course if they're not successful they just keep

trying with the next target until they are. Paulusa302 and Cobra right on the money from what i've seen. :o

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd10

I bought a security wallet with incidents like this in mind.. It has a loop on it which your belt passes through, and then tucks inside your trousers. Feels like a normal wallet, but would take brute force to steal.

I had a Lady boy try to steal from me while I was walking late at night,I kicked it's arse and then it went to the police.The police found me and I showed them my police ID,they asked me if I wanted it in jail.I told them it is up to them,I didn't care because it lost.They took it away,I imagine to kick it's arse again.The nerve to try to steal from me and go to the police. :o:D:D

..... I was punched, once by a lady boy and then a couple of weeks later by one of the older lads (looked about 17 years old). Both times this seemed to be a last ditch attempt to get my hand away from my pocket as by that point there were at least 2 of them stood behind me trying to get at the pocket from that direction. Both times I managed to get through with all valuables intact, but I think that was largely because I was sober. Had I been 4 sheets to the wind I would have emerged on the other side of the group completly naked!

So, were you chained to a lamp-post or summin?

Both times as they approached me I put my hands up towards them and warned them to stay away. They didnt take a blind bit of notice, and as I continued to push my way through whilst keeping my pocket protected I was punched, once by a lady boy and then a couple of weeks later by one of the older lads (looked about 17 years old). Both times this seemed to be a last ditch attempt to get my hand away from my pocket as by that point there were at least 2 of them stood behind me trying to get at the pocket from that direction. Both times I managed to get through with all valuables intact, but I think that was largely because I was sober. Had I been 4 sheets to the wind I would have emerged on the other side of the group completly naked!

Was your butt a little sore when you made it through the gauntlet? :o

:o:D

Do you have your keys on a chain as well and your mittens tied to your jacket? - not forgetting your address sown into your clothes in case you get lost!!

:D:D

I had a Lady boy try to steal from me while I was walking late at night,I kicked it's arse and then it went to the police.The police found me and I showed them my police ID,they asked me if I wanted it in jail.I told them it is up to them,I didn't care because it lost.They took it away,I imagine to kick it's arse again.The nerve to try to steal from me and go to the police. :o:D:D

This sounds more like you didn't pay the ladyboy so the Police were involved :D:D come on tell the truth!

Reports of ladyboys trying to mug you on Suk around Asok have been around for years but until the other week I'd never experienced it even though I've walked alone along Suk late at night many a time. On a Monday night about 9pm on the odd numbered side just before the Asok intersection I had some ladyboy make a grab for my pants pocket just as another emerged from the shadows. Gave the first one a big shove and yelled at the other one and they both backed off. I can imagine if you had been drinking you might not react quickly enough to avoid getting pick pocketed. Even at 9pm it was deserted on that part of Suk so no one about to assist, probably no one would anyway.

This sounds more like you didn't pay the ladyboy so the Police were involved :D:D come on tell the truth!

Yes. If you remove the word 'kicked' and replace it with another adjective the post takes on a completly new meaning. :wai:

Yes. If you remove the word 'kicked' and replace it with another adjective the post takes on a completly new meaning. :P

:wai: Or if you removed the verb 'walking' and replaced it with another very similar spelt verb, just need to sub the l .... :jerk:

..... I was punched, once by a lady boy and then a couple of weeks later by one of the older lads ...

So, were you chained to a lamp-post or summin?

:o

Good one! :D

(Did passers-by give him some food and water during his ordeal?)

There have been much more frequent and serious muggings/purse snatchings recently committed by Thais against Thais. Everyone should be cautious.

Very true, actually one of my Thai friends got mugged by On Nut BTS station, she was walking along, motorbike came along and grabed her bag.Not surprisingly, no one did anything .

I have not been back to Thailand yet.

One thing I did come to realize is that you spend your time in Thailand at your own risk, no one cares about you and do not expect any help when you need it, for the most part you are on your own.

I hope this incident is not the reason you have not been back. While it's true this happens all the time in Thailand, the fact of the matter is, this stuff happens in every tourist destination in the world. I'm from the US and this happens in San Francisco, New York, Miami, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, etc., all the time. Touristy Night Clubs are prime locations, as people are usually a little drunk, and easy victims in crowded/confined spaces. Often the police (yes even in the US) often seem as if they are above filing a report for what they deem a small offense (especially if they could tell you were drinking).

It's kind of common sense, but the best defense is just to be aware of your surroundings... In crowded spaces, place your hands at your side and have your wallet in your front pocket. When I go out, I hardly ever carry a wallet (never carry my credit cards) and have a laminated copy of my passport/visa and contact info.

I'm 40, 5ft 10in (1.78m), 100kg - pretty stocky!

I tend to wear cargo type trousers or shorts - maybe the pockets are what attract robbers?

I am very observant though - its part of my job.

Is that your fat ass in your Avartar Haddo? Some kinda CIA spy are ya? SAS perhaps?

....and don't tell me, if you told us your job you'd have to kill us right?

...probably a rent-a-cop come wanabe CIA agent :D

Troll

"Sheese louese, now I know why your avartar is a baby....what a "dummy spit" You sound like someone who has been badly burnt in Oz? He sounds pretty fit, I wouldn't try to punch him on the nose?? Wassa matta you wouldn't be vertically challenged would you????" :o

I think the best advice is to try not to look nervous and try not to look like a tourist whilst walkiing in any city in anywhere in the world. Muggers/theives target charactors (marks) that look like victims. Whereever you are, just pretend it is the street that you grew up on and be confident.

On a Monday night about 9pm on the odd numbered side just before the Asok intersection I had some ladyboy make a grab for my pants pocket just as another emerged from the shadows. Gave the first one a big shove and yelled at the other one and they both backed off.

i am surprised they didn't fight back since there were 2 of them! consider yourself lucky!

Saw an attempted snatching/pickpocketing at Pratunam in front of the Amari lastnight.

Incident as it unfolded.....

Me just loitering around infront of the hotel waiting, sees a big african guy walk by. African guy in suit and tie. A minute later see same big african guy run by (slowly, he was big). See a small older small white guy run even slower after him shouting.

The tuk tuk/taxi louts in front of the Amari goes ????

Then white guys thai female companion runs after and says something in thai doing the chain snatching gesture. All the tuktuk/taxi louts run after African. ( I was very tempted to run after and join in on the beating too but common sense thankfully prevailed). They catch him, alot of shouting. The small white guy and his woman gets in a grabbing pulling match with him. Not sure if they got back what they want. See the African walk back in my direction saying " I go get my wife, I bring my wife!!!". TukTuk/Taxi louts saying "go get her, bring her". White guy and his woman saying something. Me smirking at the african.

I have to say though that seldom have I seen someone run so slow and lack the stamina to to even run a distance of 20-50metres.

He got off luckiy though, the last time something like this happen on my soi, the gold chain snatcher had the entire soi beating him.