Scooter For 6 Months?

dknight

Does anyone have a ballpark of how much a scooter rental should cost for 6 months for 2 bikes?

I'm getting quoted 4,500 Bht/month per bike. I tried bringing them down, but they're having none of it - 4K was the lowest I got before they said 'bye bye'.

I'm open to buying one as well if it works out any better... a second hand thing. Actually need 2 of them... for me and a friend.

Thanks, DK

That's about the long term price for a near new fully automatic 150 cc bike. Doubt you can get much cheaper at this time of the year. Older (3+ years) auto bike maybe nearer 3,000 baht/month. But you'll have to look for some one operating privately from their home, and not the street front guys.

If you really do want 6 months I could get my missus to do 3500 IF you promise to oil change them monthly and perform any non drastic service (bulbs, oils, tubes etc).

Or its 4k and she comes and gets it for a days service monthly..

Basically once you end up fixing these things, new clutches, new brakes, new bits that go on.. Any less than 3500 and its not worth having them out..

I could look about for a second hand one for you too.. Clean auto scoot think 20 low rough end to 30 for clean good nick one..

Go buy two "Honda" scooters. I did the same thing as you are wanting to do

I got a Honda CBR 150r new for 62k and I do not believe you can rent one of these for 4 K new.

I used it 6 months I was out of the country for 6 months returned rode it for another month Sold it in one day for 45k yes I lost 17k But there is something about having a new bike. I think this formula will work with a Honda wave or Automatic .

Service was 95 baht at the honda shop in Chiang mai.

Hondas come with a 3 year warranty and it included insurance for 1 year

Remember there are some restrictions on buying a bike if you are not Thai.

The feeling of Riding out of the showroom on your own bike is the way to go.

we rent ours for 1000 a week but are moving to chiang mai next week so its going back, we know of someone getting one for 2500 bt a month from patong.

he is located on beach road in patong, a few guys up from where we rent ours ( ours are by a guy named joch look out for his name stickered on the front of the bikes accross the road from mcdonalds, the one near burger king) if you go wak the opposite way from the traffic ( opposite way to kalim) the cheaper one is a few scooter gys up, maybe just ask how much for long term each month, and maybe try saying you know someone who he rents to for 2500. might work :o

sorry cant be more specific in which guy it is exactly. we would have rented from him but as we are going theirs no point :D

Havnt been there for a while but there used to be a guy on the corner of Nai Naoi that started at 2,000 for long term....the bikes were a few years old but newer started at 2.500....just as you turn in it is on the right hand side...dont know his name or if he is still there...they are honda waves by the way...autos a little more

Go buy two "Honda" scooters. I did the same thing as you are wanting to do

I got a Honda CBR 150r new for 62k and I do not believe you can rent one of these for 4 K new.

I used it 6 months I was out of the country for 6 months returned rode it for another month Sold it in one day for 45k yes I lost 17k But there is something about having a new bike. I think this formula will work with a Honda wave or Automatic .

Service was 95 baht at the honda shop in Chiang mai.

Hondas come with a 3 year warranty and it included insurance for 1 year

Remember there are some restrictions on buying a bike if you are not Thai.

The feeling of Riding out of the showroom on your own bike is the way to go.

Most people who rent just want auto scooters..

Can do cheaper for an old manual geared one.. Have a wave here for probably 2500 ?? Dont know as its usually left idle, tourists want autos, bar girls turn thier nose up at a wave, and expats own them.

Waves mid 40's (theres a low 40's one up to the most expensive i models) fino mid 50's.. Tho DONT buy a fino !! But why tie up 50 odd thousand when you can rent them for 3000 - 4500 depending on age and model and not be responsible for it or pay to maintain it ?!?! Sure to live here own one, but for a few months, to buy it, hope to sell it, maintain it, to save what 5 or 10k over owning tops ??

Selling them, dont look to get more than half back, even less if you need a fast sale. I can get bikes from finance repo auctions dirt cheap now. Also way too many bar girls get set up in a 'rental biz' they dont want or understand, cos he thinks it will mean she keeps her knickers on, and a few months later when romeo has gone home she has 10 bikes sitting rusting.. Less so in Nov and moreso in March for obvious reasons.

I have also in the past sold guys bikes on the condition of it it came back in roughly the same condition I would give them half back in 6 months time.. One never even actually moved the book over.. Its a win win as the bike was used already, he got a cheap ownership and the bike was still rentable after the period he had it.. Plus I was able to let him use it right up to his last day making it as convenient as a rental. Felt fair all around I think.

Hello to everybody :o

You can easely buy used full aut. yamaha bike 2/3 years old in good condition at 25K baht

or something more 28-30K for honda airblade

if you need contact me buddies

My name is Jo find me in Patong beach when you want :D

All motor bikes must have government insurance, but that only covers a limited amount of hospital costs (about 50,000 baht/person). No damage is covered. I don't know of any insurance in Thailand that will cover m/bike accident damage. I highly recommend personal accident insurance to cover all hospital costs.

what about insurance? Do rentals come with something? Or can I a person go and place his/her own insurance? I wouldn't want to be caught without good insurance here. Farang + collision with Thai = expensive grief.

I looked into it, I couldnt get any kind of cost effective insurance for what you mean (theres the gov insurance but it doesnt pay for the damage to people and things)..

So its no insurance on scoots really

All motor bikes must have government insurance, but that only covers a limited amount of hospital costs (about 50,000 baht/person). No damage is covered. I don't know of any insurance in Thailand that will cover m/bike accident damage. I highly recommend personal accident insurance to cover all hospital costs.

15k hospital max on the gov compulsory one.. or was last year anyway.